The Naim New Classic range - Part 1

Not having heard a statement, what does that actually mean?

2 Likes

Well I will have a much better understanding of the New Classic range this afternoon, as I am finally going to hear it today at my dealers launch event.
I must say I am really looking forward to it and I hope I have some appropriate language later to describe my experience.
Home demo is booked for February 16th and Iā€™m looking forward to that even more. Really canā€™t wait to hear what the NSC 222 sounds like through my Evokes and fed from my LP12ā€¦ :smile:

5 Likes

Sounds like great fun, have a lovely time.

1 Like

Iā€™m actually going to hear a Solstice today too, which should be a real treat :blush:

6 Likes

Strange that, a short while ago Iā€™m sure theyā€™d have said it was a fabulous sound.
Funny how once a new ā€˜upgradeā€™ comes out, the previous stuff was not quite right! :rofl:
Theyā€™ve got to sell stuff I suppose or theyā€™re out of a job, emperors new clothes and all that!

3 Likes

True, regarding the ā€˜Salesā€™ point, but there are so many more adjectives that could have been used to highlight the positives.
Something likeā€¦
ā€œThe New Classic sound is somewhat more refined than the previous ā€˜Classicā€™ range, as it benefits from some of the technology developed for the ā€˜Statementā€™ range.ā€
With this version you are highlighting the new features and hinting at the sound change without insulting the products that your customer may already have and be very happy withā€¦ IMHO :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Hope you enjoy it. Looking forward to playing ā€œBuzzword bingoā€ while reading your report :grinning:

1 Like

Challenge acceptedā€¦ :rofl:

I intend to have a short session listening to my 202/200 system just before I leave in the hope that I can make some reasonable comparisons :crossed_fingers:t3:

2 Likes

Iā€™d run a mile from that dealer. Heā€™s been happily taking your money for mushy, muddy systems without telling anyone for years.

Perhaps he meant that the new kit releases the sound with a clarity that wasnā€™t previously available at this price point?

2 Likes

The home demo is keyā€¦ā€¦dealer events are fun, but your own home environment and music will tell you what you want, have fun.

4 Likes

Bleached ā€¦ :rofl:

EAR are not ā€˜valveyā€™, or fruity as Kevin would probably put it. TdeP said he would get the same sound from SS or valves. I loved the amps, saw off my 32.5/Hicap/250 with ease.

That said, with the SBL the EAR534 MATCHED the old CB250. Synergy and all that.

I just wanted to let you know about my experiences.

WRT the SL2:
The SBLs are the best speakers I have used in my small Victorian semi, period. I HAVE had speakers that have worked as well, but they were not room boundary speakers; this is why my wife likes the SBLs!

My aim is to keep the SBLs until I shuffle off this mortal coil. Although I do look at SL2s from time to time.

Hope the retirement plans work out.

M

1 Like

Oh, definitely.
I must admit I am really looking forward to it. I believe Tony will be running a pair of active ATCSCM40ā€™s today at some point and they are coming to me on the 16th too. NSC222 with Active 40ā€™s would replace my entire current Amplification and Speaker rig :thinking:

4 Likes

That would be interesting, never heard the active ATC,s.:+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit rubbish at describing how something sounds so Iā€™m afraid itā€™s the best I can do.

Iā€™m sure the Trimley team will welcome you with open arms Gazza :wink::hugs: Best Peter

1 Like

Just donā€™t use ā€œgenerally muddyā€ā€¦

1 Like

I would only really use that to describe the track and fields here at the moment. I need to get on and clear a big beech and an oak that were felled by the snow around Christmas time but the steep wet clay tracks leading to the main field and plantations are impossible at the moment for even the 4x4 with chunky off-road tyres. Frustrating!

4 Likes

When the classic stuff replaced olive my dealer said that that the classic kit sounded ā€˜a bit more grown upā€™. And do you know what, thatā€™s exactly how Iā€™d describe the difference between 135ā€™s/52 vs. 500/552.

Both very good at what they do but the olive system definitely has an ā€˜adolescentā€™ rebellious type sound compared to the more ā€˜steadyā€™ liquid realism of the classic stuff - like a ā€˜coming of ageā€™ type sound that Naim has moved towards.

I just think the new classic is the next step on that road.

1 Like

:slight_smile: Me too! I guess Iā€™ll just have to seek out a statement system!

Iā€™ll be fascinated to hear how it goes. Please do report back.

A few years ago, I fell in love with active ATCs and at first imagined running them with my then 272/XPSDR. In the end, a few auditions saw me heading off in a different direction. However, judging by some of the comments on this thread, had the NSC222/NPX300 been available at the time, I think thereā€™s a good chance Iā€™d have jumped that way.

Roger

1 Like