The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

Last time I seen OMO it was on a bus but they didn’t do washing.
One Man Operator. :rofl:

2 Likes

Knowing old man Steptoe he will have used the VIm.

4 Likes

2 Likes

It’s rather worrying that I can remember Vim, as well as its competitor, Ajax.

4 Likes

I’ve got a great pal that uses the saying every time he buys a load of Vinyl that’s the Vim money gone. :rofl: :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Exactly, far to much fretting about what other people think!
Makes for a good laugh when reading though :rofl::+1:

1 Like

I try my best but most comments are. :rofl: :+1:t2:

3 Likes

I would say that’s significant praise for the Nait 50 if not too far off a 12/160.

2 Likes

Hi - as promised, I’ve done some research by comparing the Nait 50 with 72/hicap/140. I will also compare them with some 42/snaps/110, CB nait 2, and Supernait 3 as shown in the picture but need sometime to complete it.

The setup consisted of the following components:

• Streamer: NDX
  • Turntable: LP12/Lingo4/Kore/Ekos2/Kandid
  • Pre phono: Superline/HicapDR
  • Speakers: Rogers ls3/5a and Rogers AB3a active subwoofers
  • Speaker cables: Witch Hat Phantom 3m
  • Interconnect cables: all Naim

The music I’ve listened through these set were:

• Just when we’re thinking it’s over (The cox family)
  • That’s the way love is (The cox family)
  • River of tears (Live) (Eric Clapton)
  • Full moon (Mary Black)
  • Glamour Profession (Steely Dan)
  • Sibelius: Symphony No.3 in C., Op.52 (Vladimir Ashkenazy, Philharmonia Orchestra)
  • Still on my mind (Tribute to the great king - The 50th anniversary celebrations of His Majesty’s accession to the throne, Chesky Records)
  • Bridge over troubled water (Willie Nelson)
  • So far away (Dire Straits)
  • Money for nothing (Dire Straits)

These tracks were listed only for your reference.

I’ve found that the Nait 50 required a much better source than an NDX. It went very well with the LP12/Superline combo. While the 72/hc/140 sounds great with both streaming and turntable. I think I can hear every music instruments via Nait 50. The layer of music instruments were clearer on the Nait 50. While the 72/hc/140 provided fuller body of music and more coherent.

I can live with both amps but prefer the three boxes if I must say since they forgive lesser sources.

I haven’t done the other setup comparison yet. There may be more thought if you’re interested .

My apologies that I couldn’t explain well enough even don’t mention my poor English. Hope it helps a bit.

30 Likes

Fundamentally the Nait 50 sounds ‘different’ to older Naim amps imo.

My briefest description is ‘brighter’, which was too bright. It’s the only occasion to date when I have found Nac a5 to be a preferable speaker cable. In place of usual Mogami in main system and Tellurium Q in study, the Naim cable ‘cured’ that over-brightness for me.

3 Likes

I agree that naca5 could be a preferable speaker cable for Nait 50.

At least compared to the Nait 2 I would say that they are fundamentally quite similar. And I would say the Nait 2 is brighter or probably less forgiving, to me at least. But when the Nait 2 gets it right, hm…:slight_smile:

@Bandit Very interested in your reviews and must admit slightly jealous of the fun you are having there!

2 Likes

Thank you. I need more time to have more fun that still waiting.

I’d agree. It’s certainly got more of a NC amp family sound.

It does indeed. And so does the Nait 2, at least this is why I kept it all until now that the NC is here and I finally decided I could move my Nait 2 on.

1 Like

Great pics and lovely gear you’ve accumulated Bandit.

My fav out of all those amps is 42.5/snaps/110 but they are all very good.

I enjoyed the N50 straight out of the box but it took a long time for the music to have the fluidity of the older equipment. Easy to take for granted that CB and olive gear is so well run in by now.

1 Like

Thank you for your advice Murmur. I will try to give them sometime by listening for a week or so before swapping to the other ones. 42/snaps/110 are my favorite too. They work very well particularly with some ls3/5a speakers.

1 Like

Good review. Sounds like the Nait 50 is more detailed whilst the 3 boxes more musical. And perhaps more fun.

1 Like

Interesting review - thanks. I don’t have any experience of the older Naim gear and can only compare the new Nait with the old classic amps, but I am very impressed. My comments are:

1. I certainly agree that it responds to very high quality sources - I have been using it with CD555 and quite a well specced LP12.

2. I don’t find it ‘bright’ - with Witch Hat N2 (?) speaker cables and Super Lumina/Lavender interconnects, and SL2s.

3. I think it is very musical.

4. As Naim have said, the power amp section of the Nait was developed in parallel with the NC 250, so it will have some of the same characteristics.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is exactly the same as how you hear the Nait 50…

I find the Nait 50 also in need of a good source and a bit incisive if not so. This is in comparison to a Nait 2 and NAC 72/180. Could be a matter of not yet broken-in.

I don’t know if break-in is a thing but I am starting to prefer the Nait 50 over those other two. Really loving this amp lately. That could change as it often does my home.

1 Like