The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

There is no answer to that one :wink:

3 Likes

Donā€™t ask @Richard.Dane , I suspect the answer might include counting on your toes. :grinning:

7 Likes

Chris

I had exactly the same issue further ā€œcomplicatedā€ as not only did I have the Nait 2 CB but also the aging 32.5/hicap/250 CB , all in excellent condition

Once I heard the Nait 50 that was it for me. Out with that lot above and in with 2 Nait 50ā€™s in different locations

Havenā€™t looked back at all.

5 Likes

Looks more like a total rebuild than a service. Maybe just ask for changing capacitors and the most important things given
what it is? Are resistors and transistors really important to change?

I have great respect for Chris West and AV Options. Outside of Salisbury thereā€™s no better Naim service in this galaxy. His service work is exemplary and I have no doubt every part replaced matters. He DRā€™d my 552 and 500 and they sound amazing.

5 Likes

Can you get a 50 to try first, if youā€™ve not heard one already?

Thereā€™s always room for a couple of shoebox Naim ampsā€¦ if you can get hold of a N50 go for it, fantastic amp.

I also own a CB N2 and N50.

1 Like

I sold my Nait 2 after Iā€™d lived with the NC for a good few months and decided that this new generation is close enough to what Iā€™ve always liked so much about the Nait 2 character and never quite had from the Classic. Well, as it happened, some time later I did start missing the Nait 2 somewhat and decided to try the Nait 50. So far so good - to me itā€™s the Nait 2 and NC in a cool small size big charm box.

4 Likes

@ChrisBell
The NAIT 2 usually needs just the standard recap service unless it was roughly handled and sustained some damage! I had one done by Focal Naim NA in 2021 for C$355 and it is older than yours (1989)!

1 Like

@ChrisBell , I have an ā€œUltimate Nait 2ā€ from AV Options. I went so far as getting the alps pot upgrade. Itā€™s all a bit much but I love love love this amp. Here to stay.

My particular Nait 2 sounds warmer than both my Nait 50 and Nait 3R. The phono stage in the Nait 50 sounds the best (perhaps irrelevant in this case but should be considered). Kudos to @110dB . And of course the power differenceā€¦

If I had to pick one, Iā€™d probably take the Nait 2 over the Nait 50 by a hair. On a different day, the Nait 50 or Nait 3R would win. (not much help, I guess)

All of these amps sound highly proficient with a great source (EMIA phono/Rega P10) and my extremely easy to drive but less efficient Fink Team Kims and my much harder to drive but more efficient Quad ESL and AR3A. Friends are always surprised when I tell them a little shoebox or ā€œthat thin thingā€ is the one we are listening to.

Probably not much help and as you can see Iā€™m in the ā€œget them allā€ camp.

5 Likes

And donā€™t discount the headphone output of Nait 50. Itā€™s also superb.

2 Likes

Yes agree Bandit re headphones

Sacrificed another input for that

1 Like

Glad you are enjoying itā€¦ I lam loving the N50 as it appears not to exhibit an obvious ā€˜characterā€™ which usually means colouration ā€¦ such as ā€˜warmā€™, ā€˜bouncyā€™, ā€˜forwardā€™ etcā€¦ it seems to excel communicating with great pace, timing and vibrancy which I guess can be called its trait or characterā€¦ which is usually a sign of good micro dynamics, frequency response and small frequency phase distortion.
In fact it is so transparently good, it showed up on mine when one of the inputs started sounding slightly ā€˜offā€™ā€¦ ie it sounded more like a more regular amp and lacked that gorgeous vibrancy the N50 provides compared to the other input. My dealer and Naim agreed and Salisbury replaced that input relay and DIN socket for that input to bring back to full N50 vibrancy performanceā€¦ such is the finesse of the N50.

If I am honest, the headphone amp is great, but for me, not exceptional like the rest of the amp is, certainly with my 32 ohm planar headphones

1 Like

The Nait2 does look very nice and so does the Nait50.

Although AV Options have a good reputation, what theyā€™re doing is well over a stated service and has the potential to alter the sound signature of the Nait2. So when done, it may not sound like a Nait2.

If you can get a home demo of the Nait50, that would be good.

Alternately, the Nait50 has had primarily good reviews on the Forum, even to the fact that some members have brought two and replaced all their amps.

The other consideration is that it has a Phono input, which may be something that you need, which could also reduce your box count by one or two.

DGā€¦

1 Like

My SBLs are going to BE my coffin!

2 Likes

Ha ha - well said MrUnderhill - stick a front end and amp ( with power of course somehow) in with you and play your favourite track whilst you depart this world :crazy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::grinning:

1 Like

I would think the service sounds better value

Character, signature ā€¦ or anything along those lines I guess is all about how amps inevitably impact music reproduction and I could not agree more with the above - what I also associate with the Nait 2 and NC.

There is indeed something about the seemingly endless potential in transparency of the Nait 50 with good sources that is rather remarkable - I think I might only be hearing the start of it with my P8 directly into it for example.

Itā€™s not cheap (well, recent available deals I think make it a steal actually!) but itā€™s a hugely over-specified amp that I cannot see designed and produced too often.

1 Like

Unfortunately you canā€™t add phono boards to a CD NAIT2.

I do indeed like this sentence.