The new NAIT 50 Limited Edition

Thats correct Clive, only need two inputs and could keep the SL and Hicap, but fancy cutting down the box count. I invariably only listen to vinyl for about an hour a week so my current set up could be seen as excessive.
There’s something about a Nait 50, ND5XS2 and Rega P8 straight into the MM phono stage that sounds appealing to me.

2 Likes

I understand your thinking now. I haven’t heard the phono input on the N50, but I think there is consensus here that the amp responds to the highest quality sources, so I would definitely try the P8 into the line input before comparing that with an MM cartridge.

1 Like

Agree Clive. The Nait 50 will be here way before any further changes so the current P8/SL will be used for a while. Will probably try a MM cart before moving the MC cart and SL on.

1 Like

My view about Nait 50s phono stage is that it’s good but not exceptional. So it might benefit from external one or mc+sut.

2 Likes

I can recommend the Audio Technica VM750SH cart. I’m using this on my Thorens TD2001 direct into the Nait 50 with great results.

3 Likes

That is high up in my thinking.

I’m a big fan of AT carts. Currently run a AT-ART9XA through my Superline.

1 Like

Hi Carruthersesq , your setup shared on your profil is now a bit “obsolete” :wink:

System: Rega P8 / Hana ML / PS Audio Stellar Phono/ Lumin D2 / Supernait 2 / Kudos KS 1 speaker cable / ProAc Tablette 10 Signature / Solidsteel stands

1 Like

ha-ha, yes, it’s massively out. I’ll update it now.

1 Like

Yes indeed I can confirm the Amethyst is a stunning sounding cart through the MM line input of the N50 though middle 2.5 mv output but noise free

1 Like

This observation I made last summer in the end became crucial. I have now tried a year (on and off) to adapt myself to the channel imbalance at low level listening. However, today I finally faced the fact that it is too disturbing and returned my unit to the dealer for a service check up. I do not have any high hopes for the outcome though. I did inquire from Naim about the tolerance and learned that any imbalance below 8 o’clock mark is considered feature not a fault. Most of my listening is at 7:20-7:30 level meaning any improvement is not likely. So it seems that I need to scrap this one from my books (at 3ke loss). Not really the result I wanted.:weary: Well, you live and learn.

As dealers are selling them at nearly half price, scrap seem like the only solution :sweat_smile:

I’ve just purchased a CDi and partnered it with my Nait50 … STUNNING.
Fantastic partnership amazing depth and clarity .

2 Likes

Hi Osprey,

I see you’re using a streamer as your digital source. (I assume your Nait 50 doesn’t suffer from channel imbalance when using your turntable ?) I’m not familiar with your iFi streamer, but would it perhaps be an option to set the max signal output to say 80% (instead of fixed/100%)

Yep, I believe in the right environment it would be great amp but unfortunately not for me (and I tried for a full year). I was let to know that it need to be played loud in order it perform as intended and that is not how I like to listen.

Hi Alco, there was some imbalance also with the turntable but you are right for that the volume knob can be turned a bit more and the result is better. If the volume control of iFi is used that will have unfortunately an impact for sound quality meaning I do not prefer to do that (this was actually the last test I did before the decision to return the unit for a service check up).

I certainly do not play loud ,perhaps your speakers were not a good marriage.In fact with the Nait50 mid transparency the complete opposite.

If you play at 7.20 mark (8 onwards was loud for me) and do not have any imbalance consider yourself lucky or then I am just the unlucky one. It might be that small Harbets are not that well suited for Nait 50 but I liked the sound very much still so that was not a problem. They also work fine with SN2 which I use with them now (without any imbalance issue).

Had a very slight imbalance up to 7 o’clock (may be my ears!) but after that non at all

I understand. Such a pity your Nait 50 suffers from channel imbalance at low volume levels. :confused:

In theory some (Rothwell) attenuator rca plugs on the output of your streamer might do the trick, in lowering the output signal, but they might also have a negative influence on sound quality. (can’t speak from experience unfortunately)

1 Like

My ex demo has arrived. Very exciting. Not set up correctly yet until I can find time to move the SN3 out of the rack so it is currently sitting on my desk. Need to listen to a lot more and the dealer thinks it still needs some running in but initial impressions more than a littel favourable (amazing what 25W can achieve!).

Max Richter’s wonderful Finale to Mary Queen of Scots in particular showed off the drums and the plaintiff melody at the end, followed by Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita’s “Clarach” for the clarity. Andreas Scholl singing Jocelyn Pook’s “How sweet the Moonlight” for the voice. Respighi Pines of Rome “Appian Way” tested the soft to mega fortissimo (the loudest piece of music I have ever heard live). All carried off with aplomb. Unfortunately I now have to go back to work.

Looking hopeful. But need to live with it for longer and listen to many more types of music.

2 Likes