The new NAIT XS3 & SUPERNAIT 3

I really wanted a phono stage (NOT)

Agreed.

Thanks @Richard.Dane – the SN3 is slightly heavier with 14kg (up from 12.8kg). Maybe a big chunk of the weight increase comes from a larger torodial transformer. :slightly_smiling_face: It would be great if the tech guys with Naim could ship in here too, and explain the technical changes in greater length – beyond the marketing language on the website.

Well I did. My SN was moved to the office and in the living we got the 72/140 because of its internal phonocards.

Now the engineers at Naim have finished their assignment, could they please create an dac cards for my 72?

1 Like

Little surprised by this obvious pushing of the phono part. Don’t disagree BTW. I suppose its getting a bit “in” with vinyl trend. Now, where’s the page with the Aro2? Or Arox2SX mk 3 :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Have seen an awful lot of SN2’s advertised for sale “ex-demo” etc advertised online recently… this was clearly coming. Dealer told me some “news” due in September possibly, would like to think that was qobuz integration and not SN3…

2 Likes

Don,t think we will ever see quobuz integration, Naim put chrome cast in as a catch all. And Tidal making unannounced changes messing up the streamers causing Naim extra work and customer dissatisfaction probably is the nail in the coffin.

1 Like

I guess one can’t blame Naim for staying away from integrating more streaming services – too much trouble in that fast changing environment. We get the greatest benefits from Naim focusing on hardware… And those who are prepared to spend 8,5K, for instance, for a SN3/NDX2 plus extras (like fancy wires) shouldn’t complain about the cost of Roon lifetime membership…

2 Likes

The trouble with that is that putting a low end source on an XS2/3 with a decent pair of speakers will sound not so good. I’m speaking from 1st hand experience here, the only streamer I have is a Sonos Connect, a hangover from my pre-Naim system. Compared to my vinyl and CD sources, it sounds awful, so much so that I barely listen to it.

I’m sure they will both sell well, but in their respective market segments how many sales would be won by virtue of them having a MM phono stage built in?

I agree totally with this. My Planar 1 plus has a built in phono stage, but if I’d bought a 2 or 3 I’d need to buy a separate one. With the new Naits you can just buy a Planar 2, 3 or 6, or anything else and just plug it in.

These relatively cheap decks sound really good. My Planar 1 plus with performance pack cost £400 and even through my 272/555, 300 and SL2s sounds great. Of course if vinyl was my main source I’d get a P10 or whatever, but to spin a few records the Planar 1 is more than adequate. It’s a very sensible move by Naim in my opinion.

3 Likes

470pF seems a very high input capacitance for modern MM cartridges. Ortofon OM2 Red recommended loading is 150-300 and Goldring E3 is 100-200. Given that the phono leads will probably contribute 100pF I would expect the amp to offer a load approx the same. Too much capacitive load will cause peaking in the 10kHz region as it resonates with the cartridges internal inductance.

I’ve heard a P3/Elys2. I’d not exactly call it “low end” exactly but all is relative. For the occasional vinyl player who doesn’t want to invest more in something they don’t use much - I think it’s great that the Naits now have a built in phono stage.

Vinyl is making a huge comeback, still. There was just another article about record shops doing well in our local Boston newspaper. It’s not dying off again, it’s continuing to grow. I think it very smart for Naim to have built in phono states into very credible hi fi integrated amps in 2019.

2 Likes

“Built in phono stage” just like most integrated amplifiers used to. Good thing though…finally!

1 Like

I do think we need to get out more often .:flushed:

4 Likes

was time to sell more amps for the masses with upgrade amps instead of streaming etc

The word from Steve Sells and Clare Newsome at this morning’s launch event was that yes, ‘native’ Qobuz integration (as opposed to via Chromecast) is on the way fairly imminently, but they weren’t quite ready to give a firm date just yet.

But they hinted that due to the fast take-up of Qobuz in the States, they were working to have it ready in time for RMAF, which is at the beginning of September.

The suggestion was that due to the kind of people they identify as Qobuz users, it may come first to the current ND- models, then trickle down through Uniti to Mu-so.

2 Likes

At least … an headphone jack :sweat_smile:

Got that wrong by a country mile😁

1 Like

In the past it’s been mid-October. Maybe I can actually go this time.