The new NAIT XS3 & SUPERNAIT 3

I notice that the SN3 has a DAC, which the SN1 has also and the SN2 didn’t, I believe?

Best
David

I dont see mention of an on-board dac.

Judging by the rear panel there is no DAC.

I was going by the What HiFi review on line which says:

Try the onboard DAC, and it’s good enough to trade blows with the digital-to-analogue conversion built into the Award-winning Primare CD31 CD player (ú1500).

It delivers greater resolution, albeit at the expense of slight brightness and a little edginess. However, the results are close enough to be down to personal preference.

I think that’s an old review of the SN1.

Edit: yes, it is from Sept 2007.

That sounds like the old WHF review for the original Supernait…

It is indeed! Sorry guys. I thought they were pretty quick at getting a review out.
Best
David

2 Likes

I think it’s just falling in line and trying to compete more with the Rega amplifiers. If I had a Rega turntable I would just pair it with a Rega phono stage instead…

1 Like

new things: phono stage( 3 stages), alps blue velvet volume control, dr for the pre-amp section, class A headphone amp, and improved vibration control.
( ref: stereonet)

Well, the phono stage is new, although the ALPS Blue has been a feature of the SN from the beginning. The DR for the pre-amp came with the SN2, but sounds like it might have been further refined/improved here (?). Class A headphone amp came with SN2. Main change, other than the phono stage, seems to be bigger and better Tx and improved power amp. Naim tell me that they will have more in-depth technical info made available on the website nearer to the time units are actually shipping to dealers.

4 Likes

Interesting upgrades. But, I must say I am very happy with, and will be staying with my Supernait 2. It still sounds great!

6 Likes

Thanks for clarifying. Stereonet wrote these all features mentioned as new.
So finally, for the xs3, only the phono is new?

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of an ALPS blue velvet volume control?

I’ve not come across this in the reviews I’ve read of the SN2.

It’s the make and type of volume (and balance) control used by Naim. Naim did some listening tests when developing the NAC552 and even against some really expensive alternatives, including resistor ladder attenuators, the sound with the ALPS Blue was preferred.

@Richard.Dane
Thanks Richard!

I am sooo looking forward to hearing the Supernait 3!

I have a feeling it’s going to have a very happy home here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Like wise…for now

3 Likes

Dang… my SN2 is only a few months old. The frustrating thing is that the US SN3 retail prices are quite a bit lower than the SN2. I don’t do vinyl so I suspect it would not be that much more of an improvement over my SN2… which I’ve been super happy with. But still… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

I thought I read that wrong(whatHifi) as well about the US pricing for the new Naits. They do seem lower than the current version which while makes me happy I’m also skeptical by nature. Is this because of Brexit? lol. I think they are likely $1000 more each.

I noticed that too, the low US pricing of the SN3. I think it’s a mistake, based on the current exchange rate. If not, a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

It would be a very pleasant surprise!