The progressive rock thread

I did I did I did in my post earlier !!! … Can’t have a Prog Rock thread that doesn’t include Nice, Yes, (& lots more etc etc etc.)

We used to go to the same pub back in the dim distant days

1 Like

24 of those I have, mind if they were all pink floyd, genesis, yes or Marilion I’d probably be up at 60 :blush:

And not forgetting Rick’s star turn at Roy’s retirement do last year held in the inner quad of Salisbury Cathedral…

6 Likes

Not in my opinion… I’d say prog has to be 60’s and 70’s. Started to die out by 76/7 at least in the UK in terms of new prog bands . I guess after that we were left with a few great groups and very few newer prog bands it was very much seen as old hat by the new breaking bands.
Problem is of course with how so you define Prog. Foe me it’s bands like Genesis / Yes / King Crimson / Focus etc

1 Like

Luckily I managed to get tickets for his Christmas concerts Manchester 19th Dec !
:grinning::grinning::grinning:

Sorry @ChifChaf a bit of an in joke re HH’s love of the Smiths, and dislike of anything prog rock, of course the Smiths were not prog, I agree late 60’s early 70’s was progs heyday

1 Like

38 from that first list. I am obviously a nerd.

G

…looking at the list I can only claim to having purchased 12 of the albums, I have listened to several others in the whole with others and individual tracks on the radio or at functions.

guess I am not as progressive as I imagined.

I am looking forward to a new Transatlantic album and love all the old albums. Spock‘s Beard as well.

No good prog rock collection should be without the likes of Ayreon, Ange, Atlantean kodex, Colusseum, Dixie dregs, Gygax, Kyuss, L’anima, Novalis, Tesseract (from played this week list on my DAP). I must like prog rock I have 75% of that first list!

1 Like

a nerd?

which of the 3 lists do you think it’s the most accurate to call it prog rock? other can of course respond.

I thought the prog archives was the most diverse. That is my go to web site for albums reviews.

I did grow up on the 70s and 80s prog, but have since mostly followed the British neo-prog since then - the reference to the 80’s Marillion era and onwards.

An obscure prog album worth a listen.

Julian Jay Savarin - Waiters on the dance.

Only own 32 of first list. Hmm thought I was a fan !

nerd or nurd (slang)

noun

A clumsy, foolish, socially inept, feeble, unathletic, irritating or unprepossessing person, although often knowledgeable eg (in progressive rock)

Chambers adapted.

G

1 Like

so you have depreciated yourself but however agree for 38/100 albums. British humor i feel.

3 Likes

Perhaps I should count some of the double and triple albums as 2’s and 3’s my count should go up to about 37in that case… triple prog…what a great thought :smile:

The first list is good for the well known stuff if you want to shop new and up and comming Bandcamp is a good place to look and you can listen before you buy. I listen to jaz and blues influenced like Naxatras but also A Perfect Circle (a Tool offshoot Freedb tagged it as prog rock) which is more metal influenced.

What is the definition of prog rock in 2019?

2 Likes

I find I have 48 of the titles in the first list of 100 progressive rock titles. I was lucky to be introduced to progressive rock when I had a Saturday job as a schoolboy - the owner’s son was always playing Yes albums. The first progressive album I bought was Close to the Edge, still one of my Desert Island Discs and IMHO one of the finest rock albums of all time.

5 Likes