The Queen

The end of an era an institution and a great person. There will never be another like her. RIP Your Majesty.

12 Likes

God save the King

10 Likes

Itā€™s very odd, is it not, to have a new Monarch and a new Prime Minister (and hence Cabinet) coming to power within a matter of days of each other?

Are there any constitutional historians among the Members here to tell us whether this situation has ever happened before?

Iā€™m sure that our famously unwritten constitution will cope. Weā€™ve all got to hope so, anyway.

1 Like

Indeed, the Queen is dead, Long live the King. A solemn day

6 Likes

12 days with burial on the 9th according to my daughter and her school-friends who are very upset and investigating the "London Bridge is Downā€™ protocol.

Letā€™s try to keep on the topic of the Queen, and keep any mention of politics out of the thread.

7 Likes

Doesnā€™t it sound odd (to me at least)ā€¦makes me think of the 1940s.
Like many, Iā€™ve only ever known the Queen - a rare lady who, in common with lots of us, I will miss a great deal.

3 Likes

I truly believe she will be seen as the greatest monarch in history from a global perspective.

We will never see her equal and whatever ills history worldwide inflicted on other countries/continents we had a very special Queen who tried to unify so many different people during her long and successful reign.

I think the world has lost a ā€˜favourite grandmotherā€™ of sorts.

10 Likes

@bruss & @nodrog Yes, Iā€™ve been reading how the heir on their ascension to the throne can choose their own ā€œregnal titleā€, which is what the queenā€™s father did. However, I also see that Clarence House has confirmed that Charles will be King Charles III.

Quite a shock even though she was 96. Same age as my Mother was when she died so it feels personal. Have known no other Monarch in my life

RIP

7 Likes

As many have already said, it is the end of an era & again surprised by the impact that this is having on me. It is so hard to now refer to the Queen in the past tense. What an incredible person, the like of which is unlikely to be seen again. Thoughts & wishes to her family.

RIP

11 Likes

Both myself and my wife have shed a few tears.

9 Likes

Just woke to this news. Such a glorious Queen, strong, resilient, gracious, everything the role required and more. I hope she had peaceful transition home and received a wonderful welcome by her own Lord.

13 Likes

A very sad day for the country and especially for her family. I, too, am surprised how personal this feels: a piece of the world that seemed so permanent suddenly gone.

I do hope though that there will be a time when we can give thanks for and even celebrate a life so well lived. I also hope that her self-sacrificing commitment and dedication will inspire others to follow her example. We could certainly do with that.

Roger

14 Likes

Sad landmark news. RIP.

5 Likes

My apologies, Richard, if Iā€™ve overstepped anything. I mentioned the PM and Cabinet in the context of the Executive side of our (unwritten) Constitution, and the very odd, unique situation that our nation has been thrown into.

I had no wish or intention to bring up (party) politics, and indeed I imagine that Parliament itself will be silent, if in fact it does not suspend the current session, until after the Queenā€™s funeral is over.

2 Likes

Morning all up early to check the news as it wasnā€™t sounding good last night when I went to bed.

Iā€™m a republician but I had an enormous respect for The Queen, my condolences to Her family and the British people. Rest In Peace Her work is done.

13 Likes

Iā€™ve been learning (or have been reminded) a lot about this whole topic today. As I said elsewhere, I think I probably knew it once upon a time, but Iā€™ve been a U.S. citizen for years now. That doesnā€™t inoculate me against sadness. Whatever oneā€™s views on the monarchy, thereā€™s no doubt that Elizabeth was a paragon of patriotism, duty and public service.

7 Likes

I believe he could have chosen: Philip, Arthur, or George.