The Reggae Thread

Really enjoying the Dub Session album ! Thanks for sharing. :+1:t3:

1 Like

A pleasure!
:heart:

Fine album from Rico with a stellar line up of JA musicians and a few from The Specials. Rico recorded two fine albums for 2Tone, That Man Is Forward which I have but somehow Jama Rico passed me by at the time and became hard to find since.
Chrysalis have re issued both as very welcome 40th Anniversary Vinyl editions.

Rico - Jama Rico

Before he called time on his lengthy career in 1982, legendary ska trombonist Emmanuel “Rico” Rodriguez became a regular contributor to the Two Tone label, recording two albums for the Coventry-based imprint. Both are now 40 years old - hence this reissue of the second, Jama Rico. Unlike its predecessor, That Man’s Forward, Jama Rico looks further afield for inspirations, with the trombonist’s usual easy-going reggae and ska instrumentals being joined by a handful of tracks that draw inspiration from West African rhythms and spaced-out jazz-funk. As a result, it’s arguably one of his most vibrant and interesting solo sets, while the inclusion of the Special AKA on final track ‘Easter Island’ highlights his link with the Specials (famously, Rodriguez performed on ‘Message to You, Rudy’).

Edit: I’m convinced something is not right with this mastering, all the instruments sound pumped up, at the same volume, no dynamics or tonal palette. Some tracks by contrast are less loud but sound distant/veiled with the same lack of dynamic. Its thus lacking musicality and involvement, boring and sleep inducing which is just not how this music should sound.

1 Like

The Poor People Governor, Rodney Price aka Bounty Killer…
Superb Dance Hall/Ragga album from 1994 produced by King Jammy in fine form.
Controversial and accused of glorifying gun culture (particularly for the song Coppershot which was actually recorded in response to his being innocently shot in the head at age 14 on his way from school when he strayed into the crossfire of waring politically motivated enforcers) rather Bounty’s lyrics are a genuine reflection, documentation and commentary on the harsh reality of life for the underclass in JA’s notorious gang run Ghettos and exposure of the corrupt society that holds poor people down.
Amongst ghetto reality tunes like Down In The Ghetto, Defend The Poor, is the track Prophesy Fulfil celebrating the presidency of Nelson Mandela.

20210629_121632

Vibrant, edgy, not for the faint hearted, thought provoking and brilliant

Lord A’ Mercy!

Probably my all time favourite in the Dancehall genre. One time bitter rival of Bounty Killer the great Beenie Man.

Many Moods Of Moses, is just that a diverse selection of styles from real name Moses Davis. Taking in hardcore dancehall, soul, modern RnB styling, country but more importantly imo lifted above most Dancehall of the period with some fine spiritual and conscious themes along with a more polished, international and musical production from Shocking Vibes.

Brilliant and entertaining

Zim Zimma whos got the keys to my Bimma…! (BMW) :joy:

Nice review from Allmusic

AllMusic Review by Jo-Ann Greene

Having showcased his talents on Maestro, Beenie Man along with executive producer Patrick Roberts no longer felt the need to overwhelm audiences with a smorgasbord of sound, and thus Many Moods of Moses is a more coherent set than its predecessor. Of course, that doesn’t mean Roberts doesn’t mix up the sound, or that the DJ is reverting to one-topic toasting – there’s still plenty of diversity within. Again the album bundles up a few recent big hits, including the novelty-laden “Who Am I?,” which drove its beamer straight into the U.K. Top Ten. The smoking “Oysters & Conch” was an even bigger hit back home, while the party piece “Foundation” shared credits with backing band the Taxi Gang. But what struck most fans were the cultural gems hidden among such heavy hitters. Beenie takes the “Long Road” to righteousness, calling down fire on the heathens along the way on this driving number. For when the gates of Zion close, the DJ has “Got to Be There,” another strong number boasting particularly rich rhythms. But best of all is the inspiring “Steve Biko,” which versions Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song” to pay heartfelt homage to the martyred ANC hero. However, in the Rastafarian faith, prudery gets you no closer to Zion, which is a good thing, considering the sexual escapades Beenie gets up to elsewhere on the album.

“Oysters” may have been a smash, but it was also slack. And of course, it wouldn’t be a Beenie album without the DJ fawning over the equally explicit tongue of Lady Saw, and the pair turn up the fire with “So Hot.” Little Kirk helps sweeten up “Have You Ever,” but even his lovely tones can’t conceal the unmentionable acts that Beenie is getting up to behind him. So, most girls would be a bit wary when the DJ declares his love on “Sincerely,” but with the backing’s insistent nyahbinghi beats, the lovely choral harmonies, and Beenie’s hypnotic performance, it’s hard not to fall under his spell. Moving out of the dancehalls, the DJ and A.R.P. join forces on two tracks, a gorgeous cover of the soul hit “Heaven on Earth” and the emotive R&B-flavored “Miss You.” But the most surprising pairing is on “Ain’t Gonna Figure It Yet,” a note-perfect country song, recorded in Nashville with country singer Bob Patin. And just in case anyone had forgotten what a tough, hard man Beenie really is, “Monster Look” is a potent reminder, while “Bad Man” makes a similar point to the hip-hop crowds. With a phenomenal album like this, it’s difficult to believe that there were still haters out there, but Beenie puts them straight on the lethal “Bad Mind Is Active.” From the dancehalls to the bedrooms, rudeness to reverence, Beenie is a man of many moods, and this album is filled with emotion, fabulous performances, and stellar musical accompaniments. Something for everyone, and more than enough classics to keep listeners dipping back into this record time and time again.

Edit what the review misses is that not only does Steve Biko version Redemption Song in fine style it’s also over a brilliant Shocking Vibes lick of the classic Eric Donaldson Cherry Oh Baby riddim, now that’s inspired!

Kicking off Friday in fine rootical style streaming this marvelous 3CD compilation from Doctor Bird.

Many will be familiar with Cultures Two Sevens Clash & Baldhead Bridge albums but perhaps lesser known, and in my opinion better or at least are the records I most return to, are the sessions Culture recorded with Sonia Pottinger in the late seventies which made up the albums that came out on Virgins Frontline label.
If you have those albums some of this will be familiar but what makes this an essential listen is it gathers up all the original singles and 12" versions and dubs backed by The Revolutionaries that came out on the High Note label and many rare as hens teeth.

Audiophiles beware SQ is what it is but the music, message and vibe shines through.

I saw Culture way back in the day at a rammed Brighton Top Rank, the experience was transcendent and has remained etched in my heart and psyche ever since.
Check it out…
culture3cd-back
Culture3cd

Edit:
Culture - Children Of Zion - The High Note Singles (Doctor Bird 3CD)
The lovely 3CD set landed at Dread Mansions just now, chilling in the sun drenched roots garden with this perfect vintage Roots Reggae drifting out the windows

1 Like

Not sure if this will be of interest to anyone - Sounds of the Universe have uncovered a bunch of Trojan compilation vinyls. Can’t vouch for quality or condition.

1 Like

Just completed watching Steve McQueen’s 3 part documentary Uprising on iplayer.
Essential viewing examining that hideous and wicked fire at a house party in New Cross that left 13 young people murdered, still unsolved and no justice.
A powerful and moving reminder of the race hate endemic in our society then and sadly still

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Making History

R-607975-1289760249.jpeg

Just completed watching Steve McQueen’s 3 part documentary Uprising on iplayer.
Essential viewing examining that hideous and wicked fire at a house party in New Cross that left 13 young people murdered, still unsolved and no justice.
A powerful and moving reminder of the race hate endemic in our society then and sadly still

Linton Kwesi Johnson - Making History

R-607975-1289760249.jpeg

1 Like

Nice article from Lloyd Bradley in The Guardian and new single from Jimmy Cliff
(Lloyds description of Rastafari is a bit wide of the mark though)

20210806_075816

New U Roy album from Zak Starkey’s Trojan Jamaica project now sadly released posthumously. Also a sad parallel with Toots Hibbert who’s last fine album was also recorded and released from Trojan Jamaica at the time of his passing.

RIP & Respect due Ewart Beckford aka U Roy

1 Like

Sad sad news again, RIP Mr Lee Scratch Perry, thank you for the music…

1 Like

My contribution:

1 Like

Just returned from my rural offline retreat to hear the terribly sad news of the passing of Lee Scratch Perry.
JA music has lost some true heroes in the last few months alone,Toots, Bunny Wailer, U Roy and now Scratch who no doubt will be dubbing them up somewhere travelling the cosmic universe in his Black Ark.

From the water, earth to outer space, never a boaster but a positive toaster…
RIP and respect most definitely due Hugh Rainford Perry aka Pipecock Jackson aka Lee Scratch Perry.
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

Enjoying the new album from Gramps Morgan. Nice uplifting and positive Country tinged album recorded in Nashville where Gramps has now made home

David Rodigan

Sublime 1977 album from the great Bob Andy- Lots Of Love And I recorded with producer Sonia Pottinger.
Streaming now but a “first time on CD” re-issue soon come with bonus tracks from Doctor Bird who put out the fantastic Culture 3CD Children Of Zion anthology of their recordings with Sonia Pottinger, so looking forward to this.

( you may remember back in the day he, along with Marcia Griffiths, as Bob & Marcia riding high in the charts with Young Gifted & Black)

Just arrived this week from the UK. After 40 years from the original release the classic UB40 album Signing Off 180gm. I think the groups greatest album. I love that this was recorded in a bedsit and you can hear the birds singing outside on track Adella.

2 Likes

One of a series of Spaghetti Western themed Upsetter instrumental albums…

Return Of Django (Trojan 1969)

Not played this in a long while, to be honest I got rather dismissive of this period in favour of the later Black Ark productions but re visiting it now it sounds better than I ever remember.
Mostly slightly bonkers organ led instrumentals including the massive Return Of Django title track that was a big hit on the charts as a single.

return-of-django1
return-of-django2

From reggae-vibes.com;
This set is a solid showcase for the producer Lee Perry, and the players of instruments, who lay down irresistibly danceable riffs, in a mix of reggae, funk and rhythm and blues. The twelve tracks, all of them are instrumental gems in their own way, are mostly fully dominated by upbeat organ riffs and soulful horns solo’s, and some are peppered by mysterious, spoken intros. The sound and atmosphere of this album are miles away from Lee Perry’s rootsy Black Ark sound which made him famous

The title track Return Of Django, the second single on the Upsetter label, backed with Dollar In Teeth spent 15 weeks in the Top 50, becoming one of the best-selling Jamaican produced releases of all time. In 1973 Neville Grant charted with his vocal version of the riddim called Sick And Tired. The fine instrumental Night Doctor, featuring Ansel Collins’ livid organ scales, is the first recording on which Sly Dunbar performed. Always in for an awkward version, Perry reworked the US standard ballad Moonlight Bay by Doris Day and named it Ten To Twelve. The result is fascinating: a crazy intro with chicken sounds, soul-driven by an energetic saxophone, and bubbling keyboards. Live Injection, with its glorious organ riffs is the instrumental take on The Ravers’ Badam Bam Bedam Bam.

Eight For Eight also known as 8-For-8 is the single which launched the new label. The instrumental is probably performed by Gladdy’s All Stars. Soulful I is the moody instrumental take of the heartfelt lovers’ tune by David Isaacs, Since You Are Gone.
Man From M.I.5, the domestic security service of the United Kingdom, was the instrumental version of The West Indians song Oh Lord. Check the interaction between the organ riffs and the guitar licks! The swinging tune Medical Operation was used by a few years later by the mighty I Roy for the tune Dr. Who, a superb deejay version of the tune

1 Like

Used to play this to death back in the day

Dillinger vs Trinity Clash (Burning Sounds)

Features amusingly titled tracks like Rizla Skank, Starsky & Hutch, Cricket Lovely Cricket and…Shelley With The Electric Belly! :joy:

An often overlooked gem from the prime period Black Ark that brought us Super Ape, War In A Babylon, Police & Thieves etc…

George Faith - To Be A Lover aka Super Eight

Super Eight is the original mix/version of the album with To Be A Lover the slightly different mix given to Island Records (personally I prefer the latter)

Great Soul singing, George Faith has a lovely voice, of Winston Picket, William Bell etc all mutated through Lee Scratch Perry at the helm of the Black Ark.

Highly recommended if I may say so

R-541957-1234660169.jpeg

Upsetter 14 Dub Blackboard Jungle

Originally released 1973 in JA only on a couple of hundred pressings.
Subsequently numerously and unofficially re issued with a completely different track listing as Blackboard Jungle Dub.
2004 Auralux officially licenced the album in its correct original form from LSP albeit with a different sleeve on double vinyl.

Some claim this to be the first ever Dub album proper but that’s very contentious, this is though more or less where Scratch started his excursion into the Dub Cosmos and beyond at his newly built Black Ark studio.

A brilliant early classic of the genre illustrating the emerging idiosyncratic genius of Lee Lee Scratch Perry

:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: