The Reggae Thread

Greetings @ChrisH
For some further interesting lockdown documentary viewing, I highly recommend these two.
2009 film Rocksteady The Roots Of Reggae, documents the reuniting at Tuff Gong studios of great artists from the soulful Rocksteady period in Jamaican music.
A roll call of top talent from the era.
Great CD of the recordings available as well

Fast forward to the present and guitarist Earl Chinna Smith’s hillside open air house and studio. Elder roots and Rasta Fari artists and like minded young up coming younger artists gather to reason and play music acoustic Inna De Yard style.
Marvelous film and there are 3 albums so far, two Inna De Yard sessions with the collective and a solo Ken Boothe release.
Did someone say essential? Absolutely!

:heart:

2 Likes

3 must watch Jamaican movies for lockdown with essential soundtracks.
The Harder They Come
Ivan (Jimmy Cliif) travels from country to Kingston to try and make it in the corrupt Jamaican music biz, ends up an outlaw gunman and hero of the people. Partly based on real life outlaw and folk hero Rhygin

The often hilarious Rockers, loosely based on the Robin Hood story, set amongst Jamaica’s music fraternity featuring a literal who’s who of artists from the period. The takeover scene in the nightclub still cracks me up
P3031361
Countryman
A plane crashes in the hills of Jamaica, the two Americans are rescued by the mystical countryman, persued by government gangsters, politricksters and a government alleged CIA conspiracy…
aff-countryman.jpeg

2 Likes

Remove ya

1 Like

Black Market Clash is one helluva album, Dread.

Great stuff.

1 Like

I remember somewhere Don Letts saying that is him on the sleeve walking towards the police

1 Like

I do like this cover of the James Brown classic by the great Leroy Sibbles formerly lead with The Heptones.
20210117_175949

Classic mid seventies Heptones album
Night Food. Superb
20210117_180353

1 Like

I had the pleasure of serving Don a year or so ago.
Lovely guy.

1 Like

The Dread Meets Greensleeves is a fine selection but it does edit the tracks down. So you lose the wonderful extended dub/deejay mixes that made the original Greensleeves 12" singles so good.
Apart from the original 12" many are being re issued, well worth checking out are the series of Greensleeves 12" Rulers CD’s, I posted about them previously on the thread, which contain unedited original extended mixes.

Nice one, in what capacity if I may ask?

He was buying something from my store ( well, not mine exactly!) - can’t remember what it was. A TV perhaps… tho I may be mixing the TV up with David Gilmour ( he was cool too). But Don was uber cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

Brian James from the Damned is a regular in my cab, me and another cabbie have a bit of a wind up going on. Brian always looks a bit chuffed when hes recognised but then we always deliberately divert and focus the conversation to centre on Capt Sensible throughout the journey. Probably doesnt sound too funny in writing but if you could see his expression and body language… :joy:

2 Likes

Naughty Dread! :laughing:

1 Like

Like I said, you would need to be a fly on the wall! Whenever either of us have had him in the cab we always link up and have a right old belly laugh! :joy:

Hilarious tune from the one Macka B,
What happened to real dancing?
Listen up!
From his new EP Gentrification

:joy:

Great album!

1 Like

Yeah I’m familiar with it. Do check out her albums to date. The dub meeting with Mad Prof is superb, but it does in my opinion take away from Jah9’s poetic lyricism which should be heard in there fullness.
Check these out if you havent already
New Name
R-4855577-1377603540-1375.jpeg

Note To Self

From time to time she also makes available some very worthwhile free downloads on her website
Jah9

1 Like

Thanks Dread. Wilco.

1 Like

Dont get me wrong the Mad Prof is a great current dub album, but when you hear the original vocal tunes it will make more sense and I think you will get what I’m saying.
Try the 9 album (which is the source of much of the Mad Prof dubs) which was her second, then the other two.

2 Likes