I certainly will Dread!
I’ll look for all of em, but 9 first as you suggest :heart:

You’ll know this one. One of my favourite singles:

1 Like

Ah man! Joy Mack, tune!
:heart:

1 Like

Damn right!

(I guess in Jamaica, ‘tune dem’ would have a slightly different emphasis! :wink:)

PS Jah 9…ordered!

1 Like

It would indeed.
Just had a revival rub up the wallpaper with Mrs Dread!
Have a listen to this, I posted this morning, brilliant lyrics, try to listen without smiling

Btw did you catch the recent Small Axe series of films, the first about The Mangrove was my favourite, BUT the Lovers Rock episode, wow, check that out, not much plot just a night at a Blooz dance, look out for the cameo appearance of Dennis Bovell

3 Likes

I didn’t see the Small Axe series, sadly ( was at work for all, and kept forgetting to set record. I’ll go Catch Up).

Always nice to hear Ms Kay! I’ll check Macka B later… I’m deep into London Calling right now :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Edit/ you’re spot on - Macka B is great!
Added to my buy list… and my wife and I will dancin’ face to face! Great lyrics…

1 Like

Whilst rubbing the pattern off the wallpaper, naturally :grin:

Well, a good bit of rubbin’, certainly!

1 Like

I’m sure your familiar with Macka B.
He has a long recording connection with Mad Proffesor and his Ariwa label.
Starting IIRC with his Sign Of The Times LP back in the eighties which included the humorous Wet Look Crazy about the wet look hairstyle fad, remember that? The hilarious Baked Bean And Egg, a tale of how Macka B had a girlfriend who, despite his needing a Rasta Ital diet, could only provide “pure backed bean and egg!” Along with more serious conscious material like the biting satire on European colonialism, Invasion
R-660102-1276115574.jpeg

This should be on the school curriculum…

TBH, I don’t recall Macka B (pun on Maccabees? Lol) despite the Ariwa connection, so I’m very pleased you’ve brought him to my shortsighted attention :+1:

1 Like

Mate, dig into his catalogue you’ll have a lot of fun and insight.

This one has Macka B making an insurance claim for 400 years of slavery, hilarious and spot on

In all honesty hes made god knows how many albums and singles, every one pure class.
Brilliant entertainer too, I last saw him at One Love Festival (I had the honour of an access all areas pass) he’s a very big guy but a lovely man, he takes no sh*t though, the running order was running late and the organisers were trying to cut sets short. Macka B was doing a usual great set with the crowd eating out of his hands, some organiser guy kept gesturing to him to wind up but Macka kept going until the guy came onstage and tried to take the mic away. Macka sidestepped the guy, gave him a dread thousand yard stare, advised him “not to mess with I” then with perfect comic timing produced his contract from his pocket and waved it under the guys nose saying “I have my contract saying I play 45 mins, so I dont play a minute less, back off!” The crowd were roaring their approval as the guy disappeared with his tail between his legs, Macka finished the set and a couple of encores to allow for stoppage time, brilliant! We love the man!

1 Like

Real name Christopher McFarlane and probably also a play on Maccabee as in the Maccabee version of the bible with which many Rastafarians identify

@steviebee flashing his 45 at the aforementioned One Love Festival

Do check his official YouTube channel as well, for more great music and healthy eating - Medical Mondays

Apologies if I’m getting carried away.
In a similar vein to Macka B and also hailing from Birmingham.
Benjahmin Zephaniah (who I also had the great pleasure of meeting in the queue outside Birmingham O2 for a Bunny Wailer gig)
Belly Of De Beast
Also produced by the Mad Professor
R-2572310-1347960164-5932.jpeg
and more recently with The Revolutionary Minds
20210118_170341

1 Like

Dr Lez - 30 Reggae tunes - Black History Month 2020

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes

They were a great entertaining deejay combination, saw them live numerously, their Two Bad DJ album was a massive seller and the single Another One Bites The Dust went up the Pop Charts

Oink!

3 Likes

The one and only Jackie Mittoo
From the highly recommended Keyboard King At Studio One

1 Like

Yes! The great Derrick Harriott, produced some lovely music for himself and various artists during the Rock Steady Period on his Crystal label.
I would highly recommend Rock Steady Party, it was initially a Trojan Fan Club exclusive but since been fully released and in expanded form.

I also have a soft spot for this mid seventies LP on Trojan.
Reggae, Soul & Lovers including the hit, and my favourite, Go Away Dream, this tune always raises the hairs and brings some very sweet memories.
R-1673571-1420249575-7300.jpeg

1 Like