The Soundtrack Thread

Apart from being a French film favourite of mine, the soundtrack to this by Angelo Badalamenti who is best know for his Twin Peaks score, is very enjoyable.

A Very Long Engagement Directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, is the story of a young woman’s search for her fiancé, who has disappeared from the trenches of the Somme during World War One.

Despite the synopsis, this is quite an uplifting film, with Jeunet’s usual visual quirkiness, ‘script style’ and award winning cinematography.

2 Likes

Lot’s of interesting soundtracks to listen to! I didn’t know that composer.

Maybe you might enjoy another Italian composer, Dario Marianelli:

The first track “Briony” is quite unique!

1 Like

I forgot I had this - heard this playing instore when in the USA many years ago, liked it and bought it!
The film was not as good as the music, but James Newton Howard creates a wonderful big orchestral soundscape on the soundtrack for Dinosaur.

James Newton Howard - Dinosaur - 2000 Disney / US CD / 60672 7

1 Like

A slight turnaround; a film made out of a great album? :thinking:

Various versions of this soundtrack are available today :smile:

2 Likes

Must dig this one out tonight

1 Like

Having logged an unexpected 14 hours of work on Sunday, that would spoil my concentration and enjoyment of watching any of these, it didn’t happen. Cleared up some other stuff today, so I have time on Tuesday to devote to GerDep. :grinning:

1 Like

Geoff, i hope you enjoy them as much as i do.
Don’t forget wot i said about Buffet Froid, and Mon Pere ce Heros being more than a bit peculiar and probably best left in the box. But the two other films are so top drawer they make up for this unfortunate boxset disparity :grin:

2 Likes

@Debs No worries at all, I expect to confirm your opinion on the good films, and as for the peculiar two, I will take a look at some point in the future and see how far I get through each of them! :grinning:

1 Like

Just finished watching Le Colonel Chabert this afternoon, and thoroughly enjoyed it. :+1:

Excellent performances, cinematography and music, with some clever story and visual twists too.
Gerard played the lead perfectly, a man forever changed by war. I wanted it to have a good ending for all involved, but it was never going to be as simple as that. I felt sorry for those bears too!

Thank you for the great recommendation @Debs.

2 Likes

Epic theme by Daft Punk on this soundtrack, a very talented duo.

3 Likes

Surely the old saga is better, however the soundtrack is still good:

Michael Giacchino - Rogue One

2 Likes

I wondered when Gladiator soundtrack would pop up, fantastic !

1 Like

1 Like

@Debs I had a ‘free’ afternoon so decided to watch Tous les Matins du Monde which was an interesting / enjoyable tale with Gérard Depardieu who only appears in the film for a short time! However GD narrates the story and his real life son Guillaume Depardieu plays the young late 17th / early 18th century composer Marin Marais in ‘flashback’.

Used throughout the film, the haunting sound of his instrument, the viol (viola da gamba played by Jordi Savall) sets the mood of the story. I found the music quite compelling despite being unfamiliar with it, and obviously it was integral to the ‘plot’.

Despite the ‘relationship’ that develops between two of the main characters, there are a number of sad ‘episodes’ in the film but they didn’t detract from my enjoyment of the film at all - and I will definitely revisit this for another listen to the music. Thank you for the recommendation. :+1:

Note Jean-Pierre Marielle who convincingly plays the master musician Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe was in Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s brilliant French comedy MICMACS which I have on Blu-Ray.

3 Likes

Listening to this right now, had this on wax bitd & was a long journey to actually find a digital copy…

Also picked this up recently, which is rather lovely…

1 Like

That is a great soundtrack. A big favourite of mine.

1 Like

It is, and it’s one of mine too. I don’t know if you’ve heard it, but I can highly recommend The Adjustment Bureau soundtrack? It has a truly superb Thomas Newman score.

812caABXHvL.SS500

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m not familiar with that, but I’ll give it a try.

If it’s not a good fit, give Passengers a try as well it’s another beautiful Newman score.

3 Likes

List II:

1. Master & Commander, Christopher Gordon;
  2. Mission Impossible: Fallout, Lorne Balfe;
  3. Bram Stoker’s Dracula, Wojciech Kilar;
  4. His Dark Materials, Lorne Balfe;
  5. Shaft, Isaac Hayes;
  6. A Knight’s Tale, Carter Burwell;
  7. Jamanji, James Horner;
  8. Dragonheart, Randy Edelman;
  9. Dune, Toto;
  10. Wyatt Earp, James Newton Howard.