The Soundtrack Thread

As far as I can remember, I have only ever purchased two soundtrack albums. Both of these were from films that I saw whilst a student back in the 70s. The soundtracks are:

I had never heard anything by Curtis Mayfield at the time, so his music made quite an impression on me, and I bought the soundtrack album almost immediately.

and:

Clockwork Orange

The film was very disturbing, but two things made a lasting impression. The soundtrack by Walter (now Wendy) Carlos which was definitely like nothing else I had heard at the time, and the turntable featured in the film. “Switched on Bach” and “Switched on Bach 2” by Walter Carlos became favourites of mine, and as a result of watching the film, I ended up spending all of my vacation job money on a hi-fi system that included a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference turntable (by Michell).

I don’t have the Transcriptors turntable any more, but the “Switched on Bach” albums still get a regular outing on my Michell Orbe turntable.

7 Likes

Agent 007 and The Fast and the Furious all parts

2 Likes

I only ever had this on cassette, the vinyl must have sounded great.

1 Like

It was but you can now listen for yourself on Qobuz (if you have it!)

1 Like

Another from days gone passed, with music by Isaac Hayes, amongst others:

2 Likes

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 13.48.21

Do I own up to buying this recently ?

4 Likes

You just have. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Gadzooks , so I have.

It left me feeling slightly flat …

1 Like

No need to tell me how it ended. :grin:

1 Like

Badly

1 Like

Back to the thread

Woodstock Screenshot 2020-06-24 at 07.47.59

In fact I could have included it in
a) Iconic Covers
b) Best live recordings
c) As well as The Soundtrack Thread

Is this a hat-trick ?

4 Likes

Michell also made some of the models for 2001 - hence the Kubrick connection

They were thrown away after the film to save space (no pun intended) . Imagine what they would be worth today :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved: :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Gladiator and Inception. Both brilliant and sound the same. HDCD I believe

3 Likes

I like most of Hans Zimmer’s work. He is the one composer I am aware of who has started using a stable of composers. That is, he farms work out to them and then quality control’s it; reminds me of Churchill’s approach to writing his history books!

In fairness I find ALL film composers plagerise themselves, Horner and Barry are typical examples. The most egregious example I feel is Leonard Rosenman who wrote an excellent soundtrack for the animated Bakshi ‘Lord of the Rings’. He then copied this for ‘Star Trek 4 - The Voyage Home’, for which he received an Academy Award nomination!

M

TBH I think that soundtracks made up of songs already in existence eg Pulp Fiction, Baby Driver, Trainspotting etc can be great. But original soundtracks just don’t do it for me - they are intended to be heard while viewing the scenes they were written for. Without that they just don’t work for me as music in their own right. YMMV

1 Like

I think this is a valid criticism, although not one that prevents me enjoying film music, after all it is written to evoke emotion. Some composers have addressed this by developing their score into a concert piece, such as Howard Shore.

2 Likes

folder

more Zimmer brilliance, dynamic range in this is awesome! :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Dynamic range is indeed quite catching!

1 Like

Hildur GuĂ°nadĂłttir - Sicario: day of the soldado

What an atmosphere and feeling!

My M most definitely does V.

I find the best film scores to be inventive, moving and exciting. Sure, there are better and worse ones, but that’s true of any art form. I can (and do) listen to many film scores without ‘the pictures’, get an enormous amount out if them, and have done so for decades. I’m profoundly grateful to those who produce it.

Mark

3 Likes