The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

I thought a thread of vintage , planes trains and automobiles would possibly be a good idea.

Here is my opening entrant , the Dakota from the BBMF . When we think of air power we think of the bombers and the fighters, but the ability to deliver troops, materials and yes medicines & food is just as important (IMHO)

10 Likes

and if this thread is a success , you’ve got to have a Spitfire

12 Likes

I was out walking yesterday, and this was parked literally round the corner:

There was a bloke pottering about on the drive with an old motorcycle engine and he said it was a 1923 Model T. You can just see poking out of his garage this beauty:

He also owns a 1903 De Dion, which I’ve seen puttering around but was currently out for repairs, and a couple of ancient motorbikes that make an outrageous sound as they tootle by. In my ecstasy in discovering the E Type, I forgot to enquire as to the make of the bikes.

10 Likes

Lancaster Bomber taken at Abingdon Airshow.

8 Likes

Looking at those pics reminds me of this :slightly_smiling_face:

images (24)

7 Likes

Bluebell taken at The Bluebell Railway

4 Likes

The Union of South Africa taken at Swanage Railway

8 Likes

All those propeller engined planes must be photos of models (or have engine failure)… :grin:

Or a shutter speed in excess of 1/1250 th of a second

Lovely, two Saturdays in succession last year I went for a walk and was rewarded with the Lancaster flying low.

Very low.

I don’t know if you know the story of how the BBMF nearly got grounded , apparently the pilots were altering their hours (probably only allowed so many) and the fuel consumption didn’t match the hours flown.

Only the RAF would pay people to fly a Spitfire

1 Like

Norton TT taken at The Pioneer Run

8 Likes

In 1982 I took the Tupolev, probably the 154 B2. Perhaps one of the worst plane in history.

2 Likes

I took a flight to and from Bulgaria skiing in the same time period…same plane. I was glad to get off, rather unnerving.

2 Likes

Vintage Land Rover , a rather rare and special one

3 Likes

Vintage BAC 167 Strikemaster Mk83 version built for Kuwait

8 Likes

Mk IX Spitfire and P51 Mustang flying in close formation at Rougham Airshow

8 Likes

And used very effectively by the Omani Air Force .

A plane built to a spec that would have been useful in one or two recent wars

Lovely photo - the conditions have to be just right for warbird photography (and you’ve got to know what shutter speed to use)

indeed - and have an effective pan action. I still need to improve mine…
Cockpit detail of MH434 - note the sun on the machine gun fire button

7 Likes

B17G Flying Fortress simulating an engine fire

6 Likes