The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

It scared the poo out of me thinking what would it have been like to come across this driver.

It’s a classic film, I came across it a good few years ago. A few things though, it’s actually shot at a much lower speed then you’re led to believe, the camera is mounted very low to give an enhanced impression of speed, also, the soundtrack is post produced and probably not actually from the morning it was shot, the revs and screeches again giving the impression of high speed. He does crash a few red lights though and it is impressive he got it done without stopping within the time constraints of one roll of 16mm film

2 Likes

I think a few cars used timber in their construction during the 30’s and this carried over into the underdeveloped post war cars of the 40’s and 50’s. I have heard stories of MG sports cars that disintegrated in an accident in part due to the timber construction and I think Morgan used to use timber as the bulkhead between the engine and the driver.

Rather more than the bulkhead, whilst not a timber chassis as some stories say, the bodywork of a Morgan was and to some extent still is, attached to an ash frame.
I remember being told of an anomaly in tax law that a vehicle with wooden wheels was a cart and as such exempt from purchase tax. I cannot recall the brand of sports car alleged to have been sold with wooden wheels in the 60s.

Mais où sont les rozzeurs? < le shrug >

Of course, when you rule the Principality, things can be a bit easier to arrange :smile:

Not as dramatic as the original - and they say no post production which, perhaps, refers (no doubt) to the original?

3 Likes

Yes, to his left, from memory. I’ve a photo somewhere. I think it was the final stand of the front engined Grand Prix car.

Yes and a tendency for moss to grow on the wooden window panes.

Here you go

2 Likes

Tonight, tonight The Strip’s just right…

(I’m rather pleased with this one…)

9 Likes

Enjoy…

9 Likes

Ils sont toujours sur les lits, ‘aving un kip

Ah, le kip on a Sunday matin, c’est le best thing evveurrr!

Santa Pod?

Love the Ford pickup.

steve

Nope, but not far away, a little do at Sywell in Northants.

Nice day it was too. They have same again tomorrow.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Two wheels welcome too…

3 Likes

For Racing In The Street…my favourite Springsteen song, and possibly my favourite song of all…

That Merc Coupe looks rather fun…

Dropped Pedro off at the cattery yesterday. I don’t suppose he’ll be interested in the International pick-up

2 Likes