The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

It’s a wonder Agatha Christie didn’t set a murder on one .

Hercule Point being one of the passengers

Sorry about the orientation of the pic. Can’t seem to edit it.

Very proud of this pic. I was not the photographer obviously, as it was taken by an official Navy Photographer onboard. That’s my daughter in the second seat landing this thing (F-18 G). Now a Navy Captain, 22 years in, may go for 30, Two Deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Loves what she does. Flies almost every day. She is the Chief Test Pilot for the Navy these days.

Story is that the plane ahead of her was supposed to get the 5000 Trap but they got waived off and my daugher and the pilot got it instead. It not a big deal to her. She would rather have been taking off again. She has done about 2000 hours in HP Jet Aircraft. She is not phased by any of this. However, night landings on the carrier do get he full attention.

Just a bit emotional when I walked up when she returned from Iraq, and saw her name under the cockpit on the airframe of the EA 6B at that time.

BTW: this airframe started as the YF-17 with Northrop, because the F18 after they lost the competition for the F16 contract to General Dymanics. Northrop teamed with McDonald Douglas on the conversion of the YF-17 to F18 for carrier duty. That makes it 50 years in the tooth.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Thank you Davidng for rotating the pic.

1 Like

@bailyhill, you are very welcome! Thank you so much for sharing! Well done and all the best to your daughter and you. :+1: :+1: :+1:

Not something you see everyday

6 Likes

Ha!

6 Likes

Wow, 27 planes! Making a movie? Awesome!

It was a mass warbird launch at, I think, Flying Legends 2011 at Duxford.
Sadly no more.

2 Likes

steve

4 Likes

From RIAT part of the WW1 display team ( I accept this is 99.99% a replica)

4 Likes

Thunderbolt (original), with a bit of Stealth incoming.

8 Likes

Tornado, seen it born (MRCA) and retired (with RAF) in my lifetime

7 Likes

Engine cowling details on a Super Constellation at Duxford a few years ago

3 Likes

I would still love it if it were a scaled RC model. Beautiful plane. :slight_smile:

Awesome picture.

1 Like

The F3 was always the best looking.

1 Like

Maybe after SDR 2022 - let’s hope not

Just noticed that I just flick through pictures of prop driven aircraft with a static prop in the picture. They look odd. The slowest spinning prop I photograph regularly is the Shuttleworth Gladiator. I always have to remember to go down to about 1/320 to get it to blur. Helicopters are similar, I took some pictures of a pair of Longbows arriving at Duxford a few years ago. I experimented with shutter speed and static rotors looked really odd. Can’t find the pictures at the moment, but I may drag them out if I get time.