The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Wow, the Jaguar survived with so much damage. According to Wikipedia, this would be one of the 3 damaged (and they all made it back). :+1:

On 15 January 1991, 12 French Jaguars bombed Ahmad al-Jaber Air Base, Kuwait; three were damaged in the attack but all returned to base.[32]

Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEPECAT_Jaguar

1 Like

Why couldn’t F-35, F-22, the eurofighter, etc look nearly as good as de Havilland DH.88 Comet or Supermarine Spitfire or Mustang? I know the reason why but still wish they could. Even the Sea Harrier was a looker. Nothing to do with True Lies, ok?! :smiley:

2 Likes

Well this looks pretty good, it hangs in the air in the way a brick doesn’t (and played havoc with the metering on the camera ) (funny that )

It is anything but vintage

5 Likes

I wonder if the inspiration of the B-2 came at dinner time while making ravioli. :joy:

Javelin FAW.9R of No. 23 Squadron loaded with de Havilland Firestreak infrared-homing air-to-air missiles.

7 Likes

Minus ten points to all of you that said ‘Spitfire.’

4 Likes

Seafire?

3 Likes

That maybe the scariest In car video I’ve ever seen.

As noted above, mounting a camera low down does greatly emphasise the feeling of speed - and also bearing in mind a camera vehicle was doing reverse shots at the beginning.

An interesting point for me is how different Monaco is sans all the barriers and other racing facilities - the cost to install & adapt must be enormous. I’d love to get behind the economics of F1 and how holding a race in a venue like this makes ‘sense’.

1 Like

I know someone who attached a camera to their bike, speeded it up published it on YouTube and ended up with a visit from the rozzers .

Whoops

I have flown in one before. Small plane, nicknamed blunty and looks unassuming but boy it goes quick!

Interesting, where did you fly it?

Down under in Melbourne. It was a joy flight. A bit of a long story. Did quite a few aerobatics. Very interesting preflight training on how to pull the d ring to open chute and how I will be dropped out or float out of the plane in case or emergency. Practice many time how to remove helmet and take out the sick bad. Really great experience!

It was so quiet (so I thought) in the cockpit during the flight, I thought I would stand right at the edge of the runway and watch the next one take off. It roar so loud I was literally blown away. I captured a shot of the antenna as I was falling backward. Wasn’t what I was intending to capture! God I was so naive and close! :rofl:

3 Likes

You can see the antenna in your shot in the middle of the plane. Just in case anyone is wondering, my pic isn’t cropped! It was a local airport so there’s nothing and no one stopping me going that close. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thought this may be of interest to some.

2 Likes

That’s a great clip of the Empire Flying boat. My Mother often talks of the fascination she had watching the Empire Flying boats in Poole Harbour when she was a girl. She longed to go in one, and would dream of all the exotic destinations around the world that they would fly to and from.

8 Likes

I never got to see them but my grandfather use to fish not far from where they took off and landed. Would have been a wonderful way to get to England, all be it rather slowly.

Yes, slow for us today, but back then they must have been seen as super-fast compared to a voyage on a ship; 40 days shrank to around 12 days. And think of all the amazing places where you would stop en route.

3 Likes

Right now I’d settle for any form of transport.

2 Likes

My Mum, who is still alive, was born in Melbourne in 1917, she returned to Ireland with my Grandparents at the age of 5 via a 6 week boat journey to Southampton.