The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

I’m pretty sure the Duxford airframe is from three different aircraft, two Australian and one British. It would be good to see it into the air. From talking to engineers in the hangar, it is owned by The Fighter Collection. Mostly complete, but awaiting engines.
The Typhoon I’m involved with will get into the air. It is money which will dictate when. All of the engineering and fabrication is in place and a Napier Sabre engine is ready for working on. Sadly/fortunately the engine will be an electric start, the twin giant cartridge firing start would never pass current safety rules.

1 Like

I still have the starter shell case for a Canberra in my Conservatory , it would be great to see a Typhoon irrespective of it been an identical rebuild

1 Like

I’d pay just to see a Napier Sabre being worked on!

1 Like

This is our Sabre. It was an engineering training engine as far as I know - so well looked after overall.

Up close it is an absolute monster. It seems much more compact than a Merlin. It lacks the Merlin’s grace, but has a feeling of muscularity about it. I can’t wait to hear it, it will be a very different sound to most warbirds.

8 Likes

Wowzer

There’s a cutaway Sabre engine in a case upstairs at the AirSpace hangar, IWM Duxford. It saddens me to see visitors barely glance at it.

2 Likes

Oh go on then, another shot of a 917 :wink:

11 Likes

I was going to ask if it runs as a v12 and it’s on its side. Then I googled it. H24! Wow!

2 Likes

Depending which type and how far through development the engine was, it went from 2,200hp, up to 3.500hp in its final form.

A Jumo 205 engine, on display at the RAF Museum, Cosford

This series of engines all used a two-stroke cycle with 12 pistons sharing six cylinders, piston crown to piston crown in an opposed configuration. This unusual configuration required two crankshafts, one at the bottom of the cylinder block and the other at the top, geared together. The pistons moved towards each other during the operating cycle. The intake ports were located at one end of the cylinder, whereas the exhaust ports were at the other end. This made one piston effectively control the intake, and the other control the exhaust. Two cam-operated injection pumps per cylinder were used, each feeding two nozzles, for four nozzles per cylinder in all.

6 Likes

Shuttleworth’s clipped wing Vc during an evening run

15 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Not quite vintage but some rather grown up Indians being given a run out…

4 Likes

Over 30 years ago I was fortunate to go on some extensive fly-drive holidays around various parts of the USA. Luckily one of my work colleagues visited more recently, and took this photo which almost duplicated one of my old pre-digital piccys.

The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad in Colorado for that taste of the Old Wild West. Highly recommended.

10 Likes

When I see things like that , I take my hat off to the fortitude of the men who made it.

2 Likes

Sorry I don’t have any recent images, but possibly the 2012 Britbus meeting at Duxford (an AEC Celebration) may still be of interest to some.

A very peculiar marriage.

Cushty!

One or two AEC RMs, RTs and RFs.

7 Likes

Still in 2012 and of course, being Duxford, there were one or two flying buses around too!

Sorry for the picture quality.

6 Likes

Built between April 1994 and July 2008, some may not regard Peppercorn A1 Tornado as a vintage train, but surely…?

Too much lineside clutter at Kings Cross to get a clear view.

Tornado charging through Hertfordshire en route to York.

10 Likes

From the examiner’s seat in a Chipmunk, taken last August

3 Likes