The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

C’est magnifique

1 Like

I would prefer the Sunbeam Rapier, even if it is tubbier Mk IV…

steve

1 Like

The Hawker Hunter ‘blue note’

As used in Thunderbirds

4 Likes

Posted on the F1 thread but realise there may not be so much crossover.

Seb Vettel purchased Nigel Mansell’s ‘Red 5’ FW14B and he gave us a couple of laps at Silverstone yesterday. He wasn’t holding back either.

5 Likes

Alan Jones’ Williams was given a spin too.

4 Likes

Also running on E fuel. Seb had it adapted.

Yep, ‘Race without Trace’

Hmmmm….cutting down live plants and burning them instead of burning plants that are already dead seems like a rather unlikely solution.

Don’t forget that the plants reduced CO2 in the atmosphere through photosynthesis while they were growing.

Some older cars were not so pretty…

When a double wing meant just that!

2 Likes

Of course, but even when they did, they were, in this case, almost certainly growing on what used to be either rain forest, or productive agricultural land much needed for food production. Monoculture, soil depletion and collapsed biodiversity invariably are the result. Hardly a price worth paying for a marginal reduction in atmospheric CO2, I would suggest.

I do realise that any step in the right direction is better than nothing, and none of us are guilt free. Nevertheless, bandying around these terms like ‘carbon neutral’ and ‘race without trace’ is factually incorrect. We should all be honest about what harm we are doing and about the true extent of the steps we take to mitigate it.

Until Sunday, the Steve McQueen Le Mans film is on BBC iPlayer. Not big on dialogue, probably only a limited plot, but I’m watching it (again) as a period piece with great photography and sound track.

3 Likes

First and very enjoyable visit to the Epping and Ongar Railway yesterday, which was also hosting a beer festival (see 'What Beer are you Drinking). Good fun.

7 Likes

At Snetterton today

7 Likes

I’ve no knowledge to share about these, but I’m thinking 1905s (earlier?). I particularly like the split screens. Lovely paint jobs. Seen at the Trolleybus Museum near Scunthorpe a couple of weeks ago.

1 Like

Probably more like 1950’s than 1905’s ………. ?

Nice photo.

Not quite vintage…

2 Likes

1972 Dodge Challenger with a 5 1/2 litre :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The number plates will give an idea to age. You can’t make a vehicle appear newer, but older is ok. So late 60s for the one on the right? Mid 70s for the left. Assuming they go on the road and the plates indicate age.

1 Like

Recently had a trip to Edinburgh and visited this national transport treasure. Not a Plane, Train or Automobile but is there any room on this thread for a special Yacht?

HMY Britannia in Leith of course. So many construction sites in the area I couldn’t find anywhere for a full length shot.

The Royal family’s lounge area. Wot? No Naim system?

The Royal Barge, often used as a tender to Britannia.

7 Likes