The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Just spotted this outside T2 LHR. Am I in some sort of time warp?

6 Likes

I had a similar “twilight zone” experience a few years back when I first saw the BOAC liveried 747-400 fly over the M25 just in front of me. It took me back to my early years as a plane-mad boy and my first jumbo jet flight back in the early '70s from NY Kennedy to Heathrow.

1 Like

BA had four 747s and the Airbus (pictured) repainted for its anniversary about 4 years ago. Needless to say, the 747s have been ‘recycled’ due to the pandemic…

2 Likes

It’s a great little museum👍

My best 747 story is being flown in one home from the first Gulf War.
As an Officer I was upstairs in first class on a KLM aircraft. The cockpit door was open and we could chat with the air crew. I was also carrying my service issue Browning 9mm with ammunition- not loaded though!
Obviously all pre 911 etc but a surreal memory nonetheless

2 Likes

I think 747s have been meeting their maker due to their poor fuel economy and their age. Ok, the pandemic hasn’t helped, but this was going to happen anyway.

1 Like

I once flew on a 747 from Adelaide to Bangkok with precisely seven other passengers (and far more crew).
Managed to blag my way to the First Class wine list (back when you could do that - I have failed fairly consistently since).
It was actually a bit creepy, but good to get a bank of four (economy) seats as a ‘bed’.

I asked what on earth was going on and she said that the plane had to get to Bangkok and would have flown completely empty if necessary, and was going to fill up with passengers when it got there (which it did).

BA stopped flying directly to Adelaide shortly after.

1 Like

We had a similar fight back from Hong Kong, think there were 8 passengers. Buggers wouldn’t upgrade us I had to use points to get dumped.

My 747 story is one of trying to travel from LHR to the US on 9/11.

Mid flight I went downstairs for a walk about, and immediately noticed something I had never seen before or since. Every cabin assistant sitting down at their station, and on the intercom. Obviously being briefed by the captain.

Eventually landed in Halifax airport, Canada. Then accommodated at a military base. The Canadians were fantastic I will never forget their warm hospitality.

Never made it to my intended destination in the US. After 4 days, I returned to LHR on the same aeroplane that I had arrived on.

The returning plane was empty, maybe 20 pax in total, like the Marie Celeste. I was the only person on the upper deck. Very thick head on arrival back at London

2 Likes

They made a musical about that act of hospitality ,

A musical following the aftermath of 9/11.

What an odd world

At the National Classic Car show at the NEC today admiring several hundred wonderful machines and talking to some of their passionate owners. I try to go each year as well as down to Goodwood in the hope of seeing some rare vehicles, and while I’m never disappointed it it bittersweet to understand that some of the rare cars now, were part of the everyday when I was a lad. In particular I feel some empathy for the Triumph owners - the company was a pioneer of the compact sports saloon, yet for reasons we are all too familiar with BMW dominates that space today.

In deference to perhaps my favourite British marque, and the car I’d most like to have driven home, I have below the underbonnet view of an XJC 5.3. I might also take to strong drink if greeted by this complexity on a regular basis…

4 Likes

Many of us enjoy the thrills of a good airshow, especially when vintage aircraft are on display. How many of us really stop to consider how dangerous this can be for the participants? Saturday’s tragic event in Dallas brings it home quite graphically.
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends of all those caught up in this tragedy.

1 Like

Yep, heard about that, awful.

1 Like

a real tragedy

Saw this the other day.
100 years old and still running (apparently)

4 Likes

Wowzer, my knee is only 2/3rds the age and it definitely ain’t in as good nick

1 Like

Boys and toys!

7 Likes

Some years ago my wife and I saw XH558 flying up the Thames Valley near Goring, giving the impression of ‘hanging’ in the air the way a Vulcan could, manoeuvring slowly so you could see the camo surface of the wing in full. My wife’s reaction was that it was the most sinister looking thing she’d ever seen. That didn’t lessen of course when I explained what it was built for.

4 Likes

Be nice to see one in the air. The Doncaster one is rumoured to perhaps be moving under it’s own power when new home confirmed but it seems more likely it will be shipped by truck.

In the meantime, all credit to the small groups of enthusiasts keeping all these old birds in one piece!

6 Likes

It’s the distinctive sound they always made when running up for takeoff and got that resonance in their intakes, followed by the ginormous jet sound you just don’t hear any more, anywhere (maybe a B-1) and the rib-shaking thunder if they practically stood it on end once they’d taken off. I’m glad I saw a few back in the day and I do miss them.