The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

My long suffering good friend Carl (white T-shirt) chatting with the owner of this lovely WWII Bedford truck.

5 Likes

Nice B&W pic :+1:

1 Like

It’s not every day I get to start with a ride on a hovercraft. What fun!

12 Likes

Glad to see a british invention still going strong👍

3 Likes

Is that in Folkestone? @badger1963

Isle of Wight run would be my guess.

steve

Southsea to Ryde service. I don’t know if it still runs though or that pic is just a demonstration run.

Sorry @Rafael a bit late in responding. As others have already said this is the ryde IOW service to Southsea common in Portsmouth. Still very much in operation, I took a one way trip this morning heading back to London, hence the photo. Around about a 10 minute quick crossing across the Solent. Regular daily timetable too.

1 Like

The Shuttleworth collection is just a short distance from us. My Father and I had a day with the Spitfire, some props and a live model. It was a wonderful day, highly recommend it if they do it again

Dad in a Spitfire;

14 Likes

Very nice set of photos. Can never see too much Spitfire …

3 Likes

Some here will understand :wink:

13 Likes

All-time classic example of right place, right time

Yes, the original certainly was!

Very good!

1 Like

Was on a guided tour of the works of the railway architect Berkeley Deane Wise in Whitehead yesterday. Finished it off with a look round the RPSI workshop. Unsurprisingly they had some trains…

It’s possible you’ve seen the first two before as they starred in the 1979 film “The First Great Train Robbery”.

Willy.

6 Likes

While not exactly vintage, it’s undoubtedly a classic; my neighbour’s Renault 16. It’s in lovely original condition and probably rather rare these days.

9 Likes

My godfather had one of these in the mid 70s. Thick seats, compliant suspension, it rode beautifully and was supremely comfortable but cornered on its door handles.

He once drove us from Essex to Hampshire in it, going through central London as this predated the M25. It also predated traffic and cameras.

As we approached his house I expressed amazement that it had only taken an hour and 45 mins (100 miles door to door). His response was ‘no, TWO hours 45 minutes’. You can tell I was destined to join this forum because even age 12 I was going to pick him up on his maths, but before I could, he added ‘If your godmother asks.’ ‘TWO hours 45.’

3 Likes

I had a yellow one of those wonderful car, it had the most comfortable seats of just about any car I’ve owned.

2 Likes

Spotted at the Royal Cornwall show yesterday:

10 Likes

A few pics from St Issey steam fair:

7 Likes