The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

Yakovlev Yak C.11, powered by a Wright R-3350-36W. A very brave bunch, these air racers.

10 Likes

Firestreaks and stepladders

10 Likes

The pedant in me compels me to point out that they are Red Tops, not the earlier Firestreaks (which had a pointed seeker head).

Indeed. Soz.

IMG_Loco
IMG_Loco2
Watched the fast non-stopping service through Bromley this morning.
I could hear it minutes before it could be seen.

10 Likes

Years ago, sitting on Reading station waiting for my connection, one of these steam trains glided past me, serenely, pulling what looked like the Orient Express with lights and flowers in the window and people aboard looking like extras from Poirot.

A world apart from my own travel experience that evening.

When my son was 6 or less we used to look up when these things were due and he and his friends would meet at the station to wave as they went by. They used to be quite regular but I’ve no idea if that still happens.

I didn’t realise that there were summer steam rail tours out of Victoria until I was on a train waiting to leave there, when a hissing steaming monster slowly pulled in to the platform next to us. A search told me that they run every Tuesday during the summer, and next Tuesday is the last.

1 Like

Not only late, they take our toys…

8 Likes

Wow, you must have been flying right next to these to get this pic. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I wish! From the ground looking up.

1 Like

Very nice. You must have a good lens.

Wallpaper

7 Likes

@Jamiewednesday

de Havilland DH100 Vampire… according to the Internet… :thinking:

“FB.52 airworthy as LN-DHY, with the Norwegian Airforce Historical Squadron in Rygge, Østfold.”

2 Likes

Yep, seems to have found its second home in Cambridgeshire recently however with repeated photo bombing…

2 Likes

Privately owned, ex-army Lynx arriving for the Wattisham Families Day this morning

4 Likes

If you don’t already listen the the “we have ways” podcast you may be interested in the 3 August episode. A chat with a guy who repairs Spitfires etc

1 Like

This is not good.

Not to take anything away from a sad incident, but I think that was a ¾ scale replica Spitfire.

As this year is the 70th anniversary of the release of The Titfield Thunderbolt, since I was heading down to Devon I grabbed a picture of the viaduct by Midford Station….

At the time of filming it was like this:

Just by the bridge is the Hope and Anchor pub, under new ownership and with great service if you are ever down that way.

10 Likes

The restoration of my ‘57 Fordson Dexta has been going at a fairly glacial pace this year, mainly due to having so many other jobs that have taken priority. However, the rear rims are now painted and assembled with the centres and I’ve fitted the new Good Year “Diamond” tyres and inner tubes. It’s just the wings and then ancillaries such as badges and lights left to do…

6 Likes