The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

In the course of my meanderings on the Burtonport Railway path I encountered this.

Obviously something to do with water but I couldn’t figure what. It’s located beside, and in line with, the rail at the parapet of a bridge over a large stream.
After a bit of Googling I determined it to be a Double Air Valve with Screw-down Valve Combined.

I’m guessing that there’s a pipe running uphill to draw water from a stream (quite possibly the same one as runs under the bridge). This Valve then purges any air in the feed before the flow continues down to the next station about 1km away and at a 50m lower elevation.

Station is now a private residence and the water-tower that I’m assuming this fed is long gone.

We covered 9.4km of the former railway (both directions) and these were the only sleepers we spotted.

You’ll get an idea of the scale of the narrow-gauge tracks from the ever present Zhukov.

At another spot we encountered this, a very well defined circle. It really is in the backside of no-where though at a junction with a path crossing the line.

Any ideas?

Willy.

10 Likes

It could be a wagon turntable, as explained here:

https://www.trainshop.co.uk/blog/post/431-what-is-a-wagon-turntable.html

steve

4 Likes

Could be. Obviously it was too small for a full engine turntable. Can’t imagine why they’d have such a thing out there on a single line. I feel some more exploration coming on.

Willy.

For turning the guards van on a single line maybe?

Would have thought that would be more likely at the end of the line. This anomaly really is in the middle of no-where.

Willy.

1 Like

I wonder if the footpath follows the route of a small branch line, perhaps to a nearby quarry, sawmill or factory. Small turntables were sometimes used to hitch a few wagons onto a passing train.

Here’s the anomaly as of today.

There is nothing close, quarry or factory and the plantation of trees there post-date the closure of the line in 1947.

Here’s a map dating from when the line was still in use.

There is a path/small road from a couple of local buildings intersecting the rail but it’s not shown as a rail.

Will have to go back and explore some more…

Willy.

2 Likes

Those dotted lines leading away from the ‘main line’ are interesting.

I will take a flyer and hazard that:

a) It was a wagon turntable, and

b) Those dotted lines show a line, or lines, leading away from it.

Happy to be proved wrong though with an alternative. :slightly_smiling_face:

steve

I’m not usre if anything inhere will help but a fascinating set of walks along the Burtonport is recorded here.
The Burtonport Extension of the L&LSR (Londonderry and Lough Swilly Railway) – Part 4 – Barnes Gap to Letterkenny. … | Roger Farnworth

1 Like

I’d seen those articles. In the third one of the series it covers the relevant section of the route. No mention made of the anomaly that I spotted.

Willy.

1 Like

That would seem the logical conclusion. Just can’t figure what they’d be loading/unloading at that point.

Have purchased a second hand book on the route. Never can have enough books on such things as narrow gauge railways. Indeed was a little surprised that I didn’t inherit that one from my dad.

Willy.

2 Likes

Is the unknown crossing anywhere near Cashelnagor station? I notice that a good shed is mentioned and wonder if a hand turntable for waggons was nearby?

No it’s a few miles away. It really is in the middle of nowhere and the path shown crossing the rail at the location goes just beyond the rail on one side and down to a couple of buildings on the other. In total less than 50m.

Willy.

1 Like

I can’t think why there’d by a wagon t/t on the running line itself. I’d expect that to be on a siding so there is neither risk to a loaded train nor the t/t mechanism.

What it might be is just a level crossing where the path and railway intersect that has been mowed/maintained over the years and resulted in a gravel area of that shape.

I’m intrigued though!

Off to the Midlands Air Festival on Sunday.

Not your usual kind of show and a nice and varied line up…

1 Like

Ragley ?

The map shows a track leading to some buildings, and from the buildings to the river nearby, which has changed course since then, so it’s not inconceivable that this was used to transport something from the river - maybe salmon, gravel, or even water.

1 Like

Yep

1 Like

The river isn’t large enough to support gravel extraction on any sort of scale, certainly not enough to justify a rail connection.

Likewise there wouldn’t be sufficient salmon to justify any permanent infrastructure.

The Tullaghobegley, though small, is a productive salmon and sea trout fishery recording around 300 salmon per season.

There’s water at Falcarragh station less than 3km away so wouldn’t see any need to drag it up from the river at this point.

There is still some turf harvesting nearby, some folks having legacy rights to cut it for their own use. Here’s Zhukov investigating it.

Not aware of there having been anything on a scale that would justify the investment in rail infrastructure. Also any “siding” at this point would be too short to be viable for commercial turf extraction.

Still a bloody mystery. The book I’ve ordered (now out of print) runs to over three hundred pages so hopefully will contains some clue as to what was happening here.

Willy.

4 Likes

On display today at a local open day 60050/86 + 37503

9 Likes