The Vintage Planes, Trains and Automobiles Picture Show

What a great story, I will check out the you tube channel.

My brother runs the latest incarnation of the Range Rover, it’s superb, and overkill for what he needs, infact The hardest terrain it will see is if he mounts a kerb when parking !

4 Likes

@Cmax https://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/event/y2024/27285-TrainshedBridlingtonModelRailwayGroup_Exhibition

steve

8 Likes

Thank you for this, all been well, I’m hoping to visit the show next Saturday and have chat :+1:

Love the Citroën SM, beautiful car…nearest I got is this 1971 Corgi model. Early 1990s bought a Xantia 2 litre petrol with all the toys, lovely car but rubbish reliability got rid after 1st year! Went Japanese!

6 Likes

Love the model, unfortunately that was the story, regarding home grown and European car brands, rubbish reliability.

1 Like

I remember admiring one (a real one!) with my father back in the 70s. It had a sort of aquamarine colour with pale beige interior, green tinted glass, a rear window blind I think and looked stunning. My father was an engineer and had the greatest respect and appreciation for Citroens in particular although we never owned one.

It’s amazing how one memory triggers others.

One of the benefits of growing up on the Essex Riviera was that a number of people were (still are) car mad. Along that same stretch of road in Westcliff on Sea he and I would some time later see a Maserati Bora (bright red) and a short distance away, I saw a maroon Khamsin - the only time I ever saw one in the wild. He and I also once saw a Lagonda Mk1 saloon, essentially a 4-door version of the original DBS. This is before the wedge-shaped one. Six or seven were made and pre internet, nobody believed me that such a thing existed.

3 Likes

Bridgnorth Italian Car day yesterday… Great gathering of lots of glorious Italian motors. No camera or phone…worth looking on YouTube.

2 Likes

Changing transport modes, listening to “Trans Europe Express” put me in mind of another piece of iconic French design from roughly the same time as the SM. I do have a photo somewhere from my first trip to Paris, when I sought one of these out at the Gare d’Austerlitz back in the day. Now, I think I’d have to go to a museum to see one.

Not super aerodynamic I’d think for 200kmh but with 7,900 HP perhaps not essential that it is.

6 Likes

Thats a nice photo of classic French Rail traction.

1 Like

Hi Steve, unfortunately due to circumstances out of my control, I have to attend work tomorrow morning. What’s the next show you will be out n about with Rectory Farm Sidings again please.

I can’t take the credit, sadly. This looks to have been taken in the Cité du Train museum in Mulhouse, which is on my bucket list and I shall endeavour to take a similar one when I go.

My own picture is MIA somewhere, featuring a CC6500 spattered in bugs, but the heat pouring off it and the loud whirring noises I remember are not evident from the still photo.

The Musée Nationale de L’Automobile is also in Mulhouse and also on the list, not least for the Bugatti Royale they have.

1 Like

Both museum’s are also on my bucket list, I will dig out some of my photos of classic Italian traction, in the next couple of days.

That’s a shame.

Next outing is a small show in Selby on 2nd November. I’ll put up details closer to the date.

steve

Cheers Steve, thats added to the diary, I’m looking forward to seeing the layout in the flesh, and having a chat, my next show will probably Wakefield in October.

I enjoyed the show, despite a few technical problems during the first hour… :frowning_face:

However, it all turned out ok in the end.

steve

7 Likes

Morning Steve, good to hear to had a good day, as usual the layout looks great.

Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thunderbirds, Red Arrows and Snowbirds one after the other. Throw in a spitfire, Hurricane and mustang for good measure. Excellent show yesterday despite the weather.

9 Likes

Ottawa?

Across the river. Gatineau. A hidden gem of an airport with a superb private collection on site. The collection was offered free to Ottawa but they declined! Beggars belief.
Thunderbirds were loud. Arrows sublime. Snowbirds delightful but slow!
Pleasant surprise was excellent organization and very reasonable prices.