Thermal paste

Only inky black. :grin:

Yes, you’ll always get conflicting advice on the internet. :slight_smile:

No sealant is correct procedure. With a sump (oil pan) to block interface there may be specific points where a jointing compound is specified e.g. at the gasket to main bearing cap interface.

Yes, dollops of sealant are common and as the excess sealant drops off and sets in the sump it blocks the oil pick up damaging the engine.

You can wipe the excess off the outside but how do you do it on the inside of the crankcase? Maybe you could Google it :wink:

Not sure what Covid has to do with anything and I have more to worry about than that.

I’m very sorry, Soundsfaber, but I have to falsify your statement. Here is evidence:

1 Like

Lol the few and far between

2 Likes

Well i have just put my 500dr in the recycling bin, due to the comment, sounds much better now, so happy.

But on a more sensible note, dont they change the boards completely in a 500 when they dr it, as mine had just 2 boards before and the top one looks quite different to what it does now, as in comparison looking at the before and after, not that it really matters now as its in the bin lol.

1 Like

I suppose this includes those who know better than the guy who builds the 500 for a living?

No, he does know it all but doesn’t post a lot. So what are you trying to get at?

What I was getting at was that a bunch of people pretend to know better than the guy who builds them

Yes indeed, I agree. But I guess it’s an emotional subject.
One must open a box to see how things are made imo. It’s a start for sure. Or is that just weird??:grin:

To each their own :slight_smile: Personally, I do like to know how they look on the inside and I marvel at what I believe is amazing workmanship, but I am content seeing pictures of others and have no desire to open my own boxes. I chose Naim and the price that goes with it because (a) whenever I compared boxes it was the Naim that I found best, even before I decided to actually pay for it, and (b) because I feel I can leave the worrying to Naim’s staff and their expertise

Best by far would be, if ever come over to the UK, make sure you put aside a day and arrange to visit the factory in Salisbury (obviously book it as far as you can in advance and Covid 19 notwithstanding). Then you can meet some of the people and see what really goes into making the Naim kit.

3 Likes

Some really surprising knee jerk reactions from people on this thread to what they apparently perceive as being criticism of Naim.

The posts on this thread do not strike me as being in any way ant-Naim. The OP simply made what appears to me to have been a very innocent comment about the amount of thermal paste applied by Naim in a NAP 500 DR.

My own contribution to the thread was a post in which I explained that the application of too much thermal paste in certain PC based applications could be harmful. Xanthe in reply to my post pointed out that whilst my comment in respect of low pressure PC based interfaces was valid, it does not apply to the high pressure interfaces shown in the NAP 500 DR photos. I have no experience of working with connections of this type and so wasn’t aware that this was the case, but was and am very happy to accept Xanthe’s greater knowledge in this area.

There we have it! A logical explanation as to why there appeared to be to be an excess of thermal paste in the photos.

I really don’t understand why some people appear to be getting so worked up about some of the posts in this thread.

2 Likes

“Nah. Does the job. Don’t worry about it. Why would anybody look under the hood?”

:joy::joy::joy:

True, but the OP is not the whole of the thread.

Some people would consider they’re having a bad day if they don’t get upset about something.

Best just to ignore them.

1 Like

I’ve just watched the naim factory tour video. I wondered if the tour guide would be happy letting a group of visiting journalists feast their eyes on this.

solder Messy 500
I suspect they’d be keeping stuff like this well out of view.

1 Like

I really don’t care…sitting here listening to my nap500, just lovely. My 500 when i switch the music off, the fan is always running, so the paste is needed for heat transfer. I have no intention of looking inside my nap500…as long it delivers the sound, fine by me.

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of threads like this, you don’t need to.

You can look at the photos and soak in the knowledge of the more technically minded members.

Enjoy. :grinning:

1 Like

Not sure even the technical minded have learnt how Naim makes great amps from these pics. I have looked at the Chord power amps with the open grills letting all the dust fall into the amp, having dusted mine off, each week. If they sound great to your ears…no technical expertise needed.

Its not a Naim bashing issue, If i bought a 13,000 quid component and the interior was as shown its being retuned