Things Europe is “Right” about

European men seem to wear their trousers better.

2 Likes

One for the jokes thread:

Q. What does a couple making love in a boat have in common with a can of Budweiser?
A. F___ing close to water

8 Likes

Least I forget, Europe (at least England) is way ahead on the ability to demo speakers before purchasing. In the USA it virtually nonexistent unless you live very close to a dealer and then the dealer just happens to have the speaker you want to hear.

2 Likes

I bet he feels cocky in those keks? :rofl:

3 Likes

It looks like it, but I think it’s just the way he’s standing

Ice belongs in bourbon, which does benefit, but not in drinkable whisk(e)y, a class that includes Crown Royal judging from my one encounter with a bottle.

On to wine and in the absence of a cellar I’ve had to take measures.

The local reds like 16C so that’s what I give them, it’s not too far off for a bit of Old Hooky too, a gift from some friends visiting from England, and not bad for the whisky. Certainly better than the 30C plus they would have been otherwise through the last three months. The pink and white don’t mind it for storage and can go in the fridge before opening.

Said English friends have a 14 year old son who insisted on sliced white bread despite regular family holidays in France. The stuff we found locally was called Harry’s and US rather than UK inspired and was disgustingly sweet but he seemed to like it.

As a Kiwi now living in China, I’ve gotta say that I dearly miss the English beers.

If you’re in Australia, their (on-tap) STONE & WOOD PACIFIC ALE goes some of the way towards closing the gap.

Likewise, in NZ the TUATARA HAZY ALE is a must try.

But if ever I get back to the UK - unlikely - I’ll be gasping for some of those uniquely English peachy ales.

4 Likes

Got ask what’s wrong with the ice.

In Europe you have to beg for it, then they bring you 3 pieces in a bowl if you are lucky.

Yeah, doesn’t happen in Canada either. Customer service is awful here … most stores/retailers feel that their doing you a favour by being in business for you.

They probably got that from the French.

3 Likes

That brings us on to the dividing topic of tipping.

Although tipping in Europe is common, albeit at a much lower rate than in the states, there are some countries where tipping is relaxed and not compulsory, Scandinavia, for example.

Scandinavia is highly unionised and therefore employees are paid a living wage and working conditions are tightly controlled in workers favour, like sick pay and holiday pay.

There is no reason for employees in the ‘service sector’ to be underpaid by their employers. To have their income subsidised by the the general public or effectively have part of your salary paid by the general public.

In Japan, for instance, tipping is a no, no, and would be considered an insult.

5 Likes

Tipping is not a big thing in Australia as we pay our wait staff a decent wage, although we generally tip in restaurants but it depends on the level of service. Travelling through the States is often confusing as different states have different rates. We once got chased down Rodeo Rd in LA for apparently not tipping the correct amount.

I worked many jobs in high school and college that tipping was a big part of your salary. In the USA that’s just the norm. Today when I travel to countries that “require” less tipping I still am a big tipper when I receive extraordinary service. I’ve been lucky in life and it’s not going to change my lifestyle if I give some kid who is busting their butt a big tip. It’s always the best money I ever spend. But, it drives me nuts to tip 20% at an expensive restaurant when I receive mediocre service on a big bill.

5 Likes

Or frozen peas….

The trickiest country for tipping is India… you need to respect hierarchy… if you tip a more junior person a higher amount compared to a more senior or higher office, it is a huge insult.
When I was last in Rajasthan (about 10 years ago) I got this wrong, it was an honest mistake, but I was confronted by the more senior individual… he queried me whether he had done something to offend me….
And then there is the issue of bribes and amounts… that really is an eye opener for somebody coming from the UK.

Oh yes in India… if away from tourist areas I learned NEVER ask for ice in your drinks… unless you have a cast iron constitution…

4 Likes

The nationwide standard in the U.S. is 15%. It’s often 20% for dinner, but that’s up to you. And excellent service usually merits 20-ish.

What does vary from state to state is the sales tax, which is added on to the tab.

Tipping is said to keep prices down. And it’s so ingrained that most customers prefer things as they are; they believe that tipping encourages good service. Many restaurants have tried to do away with tipping by increasing prices to cover a higher hourly rate of pay. None of the experiments has yet taken hold.

Another factor here, apart from customer preference, is that a good waiter (the preferred words now are “server” or “wait staff”) will make out like a bandit because not all tip income is declared to the taxman.

I’ve had service in restaurants in the US that was more than just great customer care, it was theatre in its own right and every % of the tip was earned and gladly paid. Not just a great meal but a great experience.

2 Likes

And I’m sure that the staff were extra motivated by the prospect of a good tip.

1 Like

I think that’s right, and to me that’s the understanding going in.