Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

Some love retirement others don’t.
I retired at 66.75 years. Been bored ever since.

Talking to my wife’s uncle today **. He was ‘retired’ at 60, got bored, got another job, was then ‘retired’ at 65, and as he said today, has been bored ever since……

He’s 92!

** OTOH, a great day, when Sue’s uncle, his wife & her cousin came to visit. I haven’t seen them for 18 years!!! (Sue has though)

Her cousin has moved to the south coast - about forty miles away - so I hope to see a lot more of them.

2 Likes

I love retirement think those that get bored are probably still looking for the same routine. Also you need to enjoy every day as you’ll never know which is your last.

9 Likes

I have heard both sides of the retirement/boredom issue, and I do not understand the being bored side. I would be quite busy with exercise, playing and refereeing ice hockey (for as long as my body allows, which won’t be much longer), music, reading, guitar lessons and practice, and travel, as well as properly maintaining my dwelling in little ways that get neglected when working and always tired.

Some have said only boring people are bored - not sure if I agree with that 100%, but it does provide food for thought.

8 Likes

I retired at 58, six years ago.

Just loving it, always busy, but doing things I want to do. Don’t miss work at all, in fact, I don’t know how I found the time to work.

DG…

5 Likes

Found myself walking around the west end of London yesterday, and took a few photos around Chinatown and Soho trying to identify the locations where I used to buy vinyl back in the early 80’s. First up I think there used to be a place called Steve’s Sounds up Newport Court on the LHS. I seem to remember boxes of vinyl on tables out on the pavement as you walked past.

Cheapo cheapo I think on the LHS of Rupert Street with a green painted exterior, cramped basement and stairs, famously surly staff.

Probably around about where the food and wine sign sticks out. Happy days…

8 Likes

When you reach your eighty fifth year,if God wills,you might find that much of the energy that powers your pursuits has evaporated.
This is the problem my few remaining contemporaries find difficult to overcome. But you have to keep on keepin’ on.

3 Likes

I have no doubt that such is the case, Nick - which is why circumstances (both beyond my control and my own mistakes) that necessitate me continuing to work are so irritating, because as you have pointed out, the early years of retirement, where one has the energy to do things, are being “consumed” by work.

At 66 I already notice the drop in energy levels, and after a job that requires me to stand for the bulk of a 9.5 to 10 hour shift (often with no lunch break), I am too tired to do much that is productive when I get home after my half hour commute.

However I will also be surprised if I make it to 85 based on my health. Besides, I have to die by 77 so my wife won’t be saddled with tax problems from my student loan debt; if you die before they mature, they go away. Only in the USA.

2 Likes

When it rains in Provence, it really rains.

2 Likes

Should you wish to enlarge upon HH’s photo of a car park might I direct you toward the Amazon prime Freevee film
IMG_2432
This is the usual French picking away at the scab of a marriage story but is based around a vineyard in/on Mt. St.Victoire.
Worth watching for the scenery.Imagine you are on hols. with HH.

Met my daughter at my favourite rice and 3 cafe earlier today in Manchester. Wonderful food at a wonderful price. Highly recommended, ‘This and That’. Also popped into Vinyl Exchange.

1 Like

I just checked out their menu. It looks like a great lunch spot, and a real find for a vegan like moi if I visit Manchester.

1 Like

I couldn’t see the tint of any of my glasses going back 6 years at the time and now I can. It’s a similar colour to the cataracts. Indeed I didn’t spot it after the first op! Looks like a good test to see if you have cataracts.

Five days since second cataract surgery, and all going well. Didn’t do the monovision thing, but now I have distance vision better without glasses. In fact I doubt it could be better.

The vision is still settling and the nearish vision (like TV) is better without mostly because the right eye prescription was different to the left eye and it shows up. I can’t read without glasses though. The IOCs are slightly different.

Phil

Bolton?

Today’s veggie 3 were very inviting. I had the spicy cabbage with my 2 meat dishes. My daughter had chick peas and potatoes with her single meat dish. I sometimes have the rice and 3 veggies. Manchester is famous for its rice and 3 cafes. Basic decor. Lovely food.

1 Like

The Manchester branch.

1 Like

I’d never heard of rice and 3 before. A terrific idea.

1 Like

Invented by the owner of This and That in the early 80s I believe. The south Asian cafes were established in Manchester’s northern quarter to feed south Asian workers in the rag trade. The northern quarter is now a trendy bit of Manchester and you see people from every walk of life in This and That.

2 Likes

Kabana is my favourite just near Aflecks Palace :+1:t2:

1 Like

A visit with my wife to the Master Gardeners Demonstration Gardens at Jennings Memorial Park in Marysville, Washington

Then off to Skagit Valley to the Pleasant Ridge Farm for some fresh veggies and a couple of bottles of honey.

A lovely way to spend a cool overcast day… Life is Sweet!

15 Likes

Only been in there the once. Very nice.