Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

The This and That is fantastic. First went there with work colleagues in the early 1980s. As well as rice ‘n’ three, I can thoroughly recommend the chapatis. They used to do a kebab sandwich to take out and that was excellent as well. I’m not sure if they still have this on the menu. I recall the original owner was from Bolton and I think he opened a similar cafe in Bolton, but actually called it Rice ‘N’ Three. The current owners of This and That seem to be from Bolton as well.

2 Likes

They still do the Kebab sandwich. The owner, from Bolton as you say, passed away not that long ago I believe. Still some regular faces behind the counter and still the same approach/food.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that the original owner has passed away.

1 Like

Finally finished building my new fence, it took over a month due to various reasons.

Decided to try a product called Durapost.
Steel Posts, plastic gravel boards with steel reinforcing. 3 by 2 cross rails and feather boards screwed to the cross rails with 40mm stainless steel screw.

Main benefit of using steel posts is the weight. Nice and light, makes it a one man (pensioner) job.

Looks nicer than concrete posts and will last longer than wooden posts. Galvanised and powder coated, lifespan of 25 years is claimed.

13 Likes

Sorry if I sound pedantic, but it’s usually called Montagne Sainte-Victoire, not Mont - beloved by Cézanne, you are quite right.

How sad. :worried:I used to eat there every Friday with workmates.

3 Likes

If it’s good enough for the Met, it’s good enough for me.

2 Likes

Gorgeous paintings, love his work.

I did a bit of research into camera door bells and bought the Eufy 2K dual camera which you can pick up at the usual places for a tad over £100.

Recharged the battery which lasts for 180 days and set the whole thing up including fitting within 5 mins.

The fitting to the door seems robust and the picture even looking into the sun is amazing with a great infra red image at night.

Unlike ‘Ring’ there is no subscription with activity recorded on an 8gb internal card.

6 Likes

Our neighbours either side have door cameras but we wouldn’t want one. If we saw dodgy goings-on while we were away it would totally ruin our holiday. When we bought our house it had an alarm, which was a real pain. So I removed it and now we don’t have one at all.

What are the fixing arrangements like for these things? I have considered one in the past but have been put off by potential need to drill masonry holes.

We have a couple of Eufy cameras covering the back garden, so we can know what’s going on at night.
The usual cats
Small spikies, heading for the hedgehog food box.
Foxes. Usually one, sometimes a pair, and one time this summer there were three playing on the lawn.
And a badger has turned up a couple of times this year.

The cameras are powered from solar panels, and their cables have been “chewed/cut”, twice in the last couple of weeks. The cables run along the top of the “catio” - safe from animals, one might think, but obviously not so.

I moved one of the cameras to give a view on the cables, and caught the culprit last night. It was a fox - “he’s a very naughty boy”. No more kibbles left out for you my lad!

B&Q today therefore for some plastic trunking!

1 Like

The fitting plate and attachments are well made but yes you would need to drill into the door/door surround or masonary to attach the bell.

You could use glue or one other bond to fix the plate.

1 Like

Thanks !

After someone tried to steal my EV charging cable a few weeks back we had cctv cameras installed front and back. The night before they were installed a burglar with knife having burgled 2 properties and confronting an old lady in one, was apprehended outside our house.
We are yet to find who is digging up the rear lawn, seen a muntjac and foxes in the front garden.

Pests all. 12 bore required. ( including for the burglar :grinning:)

2 Likes

Yes, but now i would be recording myself shooting the burglar😂

1 Like

That’s a bit burying your head in the sand.

We had a very pretty maple in a pot stolen from our front garden a couple of years ago. So surprised. Would never have thought someone would not only have noticed it, but gone to the trouble of coming back in the middle of the night, tip it out of the pot (the under-nourished weakling couldn’t lift all of it) and walk off with it.

I installed 3 outside and 2 inside Nest cameras. All from the mains with lithium backup. 2 of the outside have built-in flood lights, the 3rd is next to a floodlight. They record to cloud and I opted to pay a £4 per month fee. The key qualities that I wanted when looking to buy was that they notify me instantly and don’t give false readings. 2 years on, perfect. I can blank off areas on the image I don’t want to be scanned and also define what to ignore.

I kind of understand not wanting to know what goes on, but now having these, I couldn’t be without them. I also have Nest fire alarms which will notify me. If I did receive an alarm, I could tune in to see if my house is on fire. Then I could notify the fire service. I imagine coming home to a burnt out house being one of the most life changing experiences, especially with my cat being in. What I would do if I receive an alarm in the middle of the night and see someone? I do have a clear idea now, but…

Yes, if I had something nicked I may think differently. Fancy taking a maple!

I’m not keen on these movement sensitive lights everywhere, you honour for a walk after dark and some places light up really brightly.

One of our neighbours was burgled just before Christmas once. We think it was ‘carol singers’ who turn up and only start singing when you open the door - meanwhile they’ve been casing the joint through the open curtains, left open so that the tree can be seen from outside, which is what most people do.

I think it was a delivery guy, come back later. The maple was very pretty and ornate, but only 2ft tall. To see it from the road is a bit of a stretch.

I didn’t have to choose the Nest floodlight option (they do both), but the floodlight means the picture is far better and in colour at pitch-black night. I actually like floodlights coming on around my house. I’m always popping out in the evening emptying bins, cat tray, etc and it allows me to clearly see who’s just about to stab me.

2 Likes