Things I’ve done in the last 24 hours

We sold the Eriba a couple of years ago, which was a tough decision but the right one on balance. Our car wasn’t really up to it and we didn’t want to get a bigger car, and also we had a really scary experience driving round Paris when we were faced with a height barrier and had to pull onto a 130kmph road from a standing start with no run up. It was truly terrifying and that was really what pushed us over the edge. We are staying in a mobile home on a campsite to get the camping experience without the hassle. It’s not the same, but works for us.

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your experience. When we considered a caravan like the Eriba, we would have also bought a new car (new to us but not brand new), and would have gone for something larger than an A3, though I don’t know what - a 4x4 version of Toyota’s Verso would be ideal, but they don’t make one, next best possibly an Audi Q5 but not ideal. As it happened we didn’t need to choose! By “mobile home” I presume you mean a static one? Anyway, you seem to have chosen a nice area, so do enjoy!

1 Like

Now you’re just making us jealous, looks fantastic. Look forward to more photos.

1 Like

It’s a long way to France from the IoM. Do you go to Heysham and then drive down to Portsmouth, or go via the tunnel? Either is a long way. We can get to the Portsmouth ferry port in under 15 minutes, which makes France more attractive than Scotland for holidays.

2 Likes

Struggled with QNap!

1 Like

We were a bit surprised to find the hotel had a large entourage of Sikhs from the UK celebrating Diwali. They were having a great time and spent most of it in the conference centre, leaving the pools rather empty.

7 Likes

That’s odd, as Diwali isn’t until 1 November this year.

1 Like

Must be celebrating early…….if they were here in November they would be paying another £1500 or more per person. In September Tenerife is in competition with other parts of Spain, Greece etc.
Last night they had a firework display celebrating light over darkness, hence my guess at Diwali. Everyone staying at the hotel had a note apologising for the noise of the fireworks at 9pm, but extending an invite to attend, which was nice.
Anyway, very pleasant people, very polite…….some of their clothes were very beautiful, works of art.

5 Likes

We visited Musée Granet’s other building, the XXe today. It’s the collection of Jean Planque, a Swiss art dealer and collector, housed in a C17 church and full of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh and many others. It’s a real treasure trove of 20th century art and the setting is fantastic. Definitely one for @Eoink to visit.

10 Likes

Thanks Nigel, that definitely looks like one I’d love.

1 Like

It can be from some angles.

3 Likes

Athens of the north was very atmospheric yesterday.

G

20 Likes

Great images Nigel.

1 Like

We go to Liverpool, then Dover, staying overnight just outside, and morning ferry. Irish Ferries is our choice so far, and quite happy with them. At present September seems a perfect month for France, after peak season but weather still (usually!!) good. Cost of Channel Tunnel doesn’t seem justifiable. I can see that from where you are Portsmouth makes sense: one year time we plan to try northern Spain, taking ferry from Portsmouth or Plymouth, but maybe returning through France.

As for Scotland, I love the north west. We went two years ago, catching the start of the Islay whisky festival, first time to such a festival, and first time in Scotland for 30 years! Nearer for us than France, but we will probably leave doing much more till longer distance becomes too difficult.

1 Like

We went with a bike-boat tour from Bruges to Amsterdam in 7 days.
This was the last day arriving in Amsterdam.

4 Likes

Tried the coffee. It made three cups, about six quid a cup.

Very smooth tasting, no bitterness. Did have a slightly sour aftertaste, but not unpleasant

DG…

I booked into the Mater hospital for 4-5 weeks. I’ll be having my hard drive deleted and a new OS installed. :frowning:

27 Likes

Best of luck Pete. Please keep us posted as your condition and time allows.

5 Likes

Will do, thanks

1 Like

Take care, my man.

DG…

3 Likes