Things that make you feel old

The mirror in the bathroom.

3 Likes

I don’t know about feeling old, but my not yet 1 year old Grandson has made me feel young again😊

2 Likes

Yes, and when I hear the song. It was always on the Juke Box when I was a student.

1 Like

I think it’s like it’s made from double cream in Ireland but single everywhere else

1 Like

Try the Nigerian brewed Foreign Extra bottles it’s quite strong at about 8% but nicer than the original very similar to the Jamaican Dragon Stout which is delicious but also pretty strong.

8% sounds very strong, but I’ll have a look thanks Bob.

To anyone who’s coming back to me with “I drink Guinness because of it’s taste” or the old sales myth that it’s better in Dublin; I’ve been to Dublin twice for 5 days each and the rule amongst us was that we can only drink Guinness all day and night, and from the left hand only. So I think I can give my thorough opinion. Perhaps I should try it from my right hand and add another myth.

I didn’t say one doesn’t like the taste of stout, it’s the massive sales push for 7 decades that has put it in very pub. Not the horrible bitter taste. Probably the best advertising dept of all the brewers in the history of beer. There are hundreds of lovely stouts out there and if you find proper real ale brewery pub, you’re in for a stout treat. Some of the stouts are in for a year or so, then they disappear, then they come back. Lovely pubs out there.

Guinness my arse.

The fate of everyone who drinks enough of the stuff

3 Likes

Back in the late 1980s, Balham used to have an indoor market (now demolished, and it’s a Pizza Express these days), where everyone used to go to buy weed and Nigerian Guinness. Blimey that stuff was strong (the Guinness, not the weed). About 7.5% ABV, if I remember rightly.

It’s widely available now my local Tesco sells it it’s a beautiful drink and four bottles is more than enough. It was my Irish Grandad’s favourite drink he wouldn’t touch the Irish brewed stuff only the Foreign Extra he even built a garden wall out of the empties!

3 Likes

I didn’t know that. But then again I refuse to shop at Tesco. Haven’t had it for years - must track down a few bottles, just for old times’ sake.

Also sometimes available in Home Bargains.

Willy.

6 Likes

I recall as a child visiting my grandpa in hospital and seeing 2 empties on his bedside table. Think he was allowed four per day! Re-inforced for me the notion that “Guinness is good for you”.

3 Likes

Certainly makes me feel good after 4 or 5 pints! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

You need to tell us how strong the weed was!

Growing up, my mum had this huge poster framed and hanging in the living room.

A couple of years back an old friend asked me…“How does it feel to no longer be a threat to other men?”
I had to laugh…after a while.

1 Like

As a child, my father was hospitalised for six months, diagnosed “failure to thrive” following a school medical. He had to drink Guinness with every meal and at bedtime. He then never drank alcohol except for a small sherry after the Queen’s speech at Christmas.
He was six foot at age eleven, ended up six foot four and until he gave up smoking in his mid forties weighed nine stone ten.
His brother was six foot seven and a quarter (we always had to include the quarter).

Breweries did brilliant advertising in the 50s and overall, Guinness was the best. I have many beautiful Guinness beermats from that era.

Things that make me feel old; around 1980 I started collecting beermats and had many 1940s-1950s and even some pre-war. At that time, (obviously a youngster) the mats were 40 years or so old and I remember thinking they were from ancient times. How did they live? etc… Well that was 40 years to today.

Still have all the beermats in boxes. Haven’t looked at them for years.

2 Likes

I can remember collecting beermats as a child on family holidays or trips.

1 Like

Our entire glassware cupboard was just pint glasses my mum pilfered from different pubs in the Cotswolds. Every placemat was a pilfered beer towel.

I used to think it was normal as a kid but my mates told me no one else drinks Ribena in a pint glass at home.

4 Likes