Things that make you feel old

Yes it pretty fun. The series sets of 6 mats were tricky to complete.

1 Like

Is it the case that during the tie when Guinness was dispensed in hospitals it was ā€œbottle conditionedā€ not pasteurised?
Can imagine that there would have been benefits from that to people who were not moving on a regular basis.

Willy.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got boxes of beermats too from when me and my mate were teenagers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I am thinking of giving some of my Nait kit to my youngest daughter, perhaps some CB. I realise that giving her the Nait2 and a P3 is the equivalent of my Dad offering me this at age 25. :grinning:

6 Likes

In a similar vein I was MC for a 30th reunion of work colleagues from 1985 to 2015. As one of the big films of 1985 was Back to the Future set between 1955 and 1985, I did a (hopefully humorous) speech comparing fashion, cars, computers, mobiles, music and failed businesses. It was surprising just how different the eras were.

It was a shock to see some people after 30 years when I remembered them as their young selves.

Sadly that was 7 years agoā€¦ā€¦

1 Like

An excerpt below from the blog of political scientist Professor Matt Goodwin.

It was the reference to 9/11 that struck me most - that doesnā€™t seem very long ago at allā€¦

ā€œThis week I met my new first year university students. They were born in ā€¦ brace yourself ā€¦ you are about to feel old ā€¦ 2004. This means they were not alive during 9/11. They cannot remember prime ministers Blair and Brown. They can barely remember David Cameronā€¦ā€

5 Likes

Not sure I want to remember any of them either :rofl:

4 Likes

I like to measure time in movies. Those first year students; the Star Wars prequal trilogy are old movies before their time. Ditto The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

To most of us, they are still new-ish.

5 Likes

Currently watching an episode of Dadā€™s Army. Looked up the actress playing Godfreyā€™s sister. She was born in 1888. Amy Dalby.

1 Like

He was in The Persuaders! Last night.

I had a couple of shop service people call me Sir this weekā€¦ I since had a shave and recovered a few years.

4 Likes

When I was in hospital I had a card from my best friend with a picture of us together earlier in the year. I was largely pointing nurses etc. at it to show what I normally look like as opposed to with my current 13kg weight loss. (Plus for myself enjoying the picture of a friend I love very dearly.) Three of the hospital staff over the weeks asked if she were my daughter (the age gap is 6 years!!). Oddly enough all 3 were Occupational Therapists, which is what she does for a living 200 miles away, I decided it was a conspiracy.

5 Likes

Donā€™t dismiss the conspiracy theory! Itā€™s a medical professionalā€™s ploy Iā€™m sure :grinning: My sister is a GP and has trained my daughter to nag me about my excess bulk and to take the pi55 whenever she deems appropriate. Which is often!

However, where I am also being made to feel old is the jargon my kids use which is so completely different to 5, 10, 20 years ago etc that I feel like Monty Burns from the Simpsons, stuck making outdated Vaudeville references.

My wife and I went to a function the other night and apparently the way I dressed ā€˜had dripā€™ or at least did compared to my wife. Apparently thatā€™s a good thing. Or was last weekā€¦.

3 Likes

I had to look up both ā€˜had dripā€™ and Monty Burns.

1 Like

I remember an incident many years ago when my late father came to visit me when I was living/working in London. We got on a crowded bus, and two young ladies got up to offer him their seat. He was profoundly shocked, as that had never happened to him before.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t dare look up drip. Iā€™ve had sympathy for Monty Burns for a number of years on the cultural front though!

1 Like

A year ago my son in law ran into a major neurological problem and was in hospital (but thatā€™s another story). My daughter (who is nothing to do with medicine) rang her best friend who is a neurologist, but at the other end of the country. She told her friend that one of the issues was that she couldnā€™t get any real information about what was going on. Her friend said she would try to get in touch with the neurologist treating her husband in London.

Anyway my daughterā€™s phone rang that evening and it was her husbandā€™s neurologist, who after introducing herself said ā€œAre you a medic too? Iā€™ve had five emails from different people asking me to ring you!ā€ A good and informative conversation ensued.

2 Likes

My next birthday. :flushed:

1 Like

Itā€™s complementary (I think) suggesting some kind of swagger and desirability.

The brief search I did suggested that it implied you have so much of something itā€™s ā€˜dripping from you/out of youā€™, maybe thatā€™s swagger, finesse, money etc

1 Like

Looking into the cockpit as you board a flight and wondering if the young chap in the driving seat has started shaving yet.

Willy.

4 Likes