Thunderstorm - power up issue

No cable and the support documents are near useless. Contacts their physical support and there’s clearly a language barrier.

Took some working through but I’m nearly there now. Connected bridge to PC; set static IP address for ethernet card; subbed in the Vonets cable and then was able to login to the device; disable the hot spot and connect it to my wireless network once again. Took about five minutes to go live but I now have music from the Zenith and internet radio via the Zenith. Can’t get Tidal back as yet but it’s showing no error so I suspect a Tidal logout followed by a log back in may do the trick. Will try that post the working day. Main thing is that the bridge and streamer are back online.

My house took a direct hit on the TV antenna some years ago.
No surprise the TV, the antenna’s & it’s wiring were destroyed, as was the hifi ( only survivor was the Rega Planer) all the cordless phones & the wired fax, burglar alarm (it’s wiring was just carbon dust), consumer unit main switch was welded together, most electrical equipment in the house was effected, cooker, fridge etc. the list was unbelievable including stuff that was not connected.

Four nearby houses were effected, and these are well spread out & opposite side of road detached properties. Damage was mostly cordless phones & TV’s, also one burglar alarm & an office type computer.
Nearby damage is not necessarily caused by voltage surge but electromagnetic pulse. I believe it was EMP damage was that caused thevdamage to the nearby properties in my strike as the local electrical supply did not go off, except that is in my house.

We’ve lost a couple of routers and DEC phone systems over recent years, not due to direct lightning strike on our property but from a strike within a mile radius. I would guess that they were taken out either by some induction over the phone lines or some kind of local EMP.

That sounds memorable! I’m guessing you were fortunate that it didn’t start a fire too. I’ll have to google EMP.

To my mind it makes a good case for turning kit off, the OP’s troubles not withstanding.

Yup, I always switch off and unplug the system when there’s the likelihood of thunderstorms.

Glad you are making progress. Apologies for the diversion but it generated some interesting and I think informative observations. Happy Listening.

After that you might google your insurance policy to, check out new for old, including equivalent new replacement value.
I was covered, but it took some work to finally agree the ‘value’ of some old classic stuff.

1 Like

As part of setting a static IP/subnet you may need DNS and Gateway IPs too - this may or may not be the reason why Tidal isn’t connecting.

Make sure your static IP is outside the DHCP scope of the ISP router otherwise you may end up with a clash of IP addresses. There’s usually a small block of addresses assigned for this purpose.

All sorted. One of the advantages of the app, that it significantly reduces the number of contacts with the server also meant that it takes a little longer to re-establish the connection to Tidal. Did so after about 15 minutes with no input from me.

Ethernet should be disconnected as well.

1 Like

Spoke too soon. Tidal has reconnected but is juddering very badly for no reason that’s obvious to me.

This, plus making sure that indirect lightning damage is insured, not just direct strike

Hmm. Logged back into Tidal and had the same judderung on the same track. Switched to an EP and all 4 tracks played fine as did all of Van’s Moondance. Switched to some World Party and the judder/glitching is back. Had no issues in 7 months with this bridge and now a series.

Any thoughts.

I wonder if your system has selected a different wireless channel after power up which is perhaps not ideal and limiting bandwidth?

For some reason when I login to the Vonets admin it showed my home network twice. I was logged on to the slower of the two on 6 so I switched to the other on 11 and of course it’s not real and both the bridge and Innuos are now offline. So I have to once again pull the bridge out; attach to my PC; reset it and attach it to the working network and see if it’s possible as you say to switch channels and see what happens.

Mightily irritating.

I used to really love storms and didn’t resent powering down etc. I’m beginning to change my mind.

1 Like

Good call. The router had defaulted to channel 6. Moved to 7 and all is terrific again thank you.

1 Like

When lightning stuck my house my arcam cd and a vhs were written off, I always disconnect Naim gear in a thunderstorm

You should not really use any channels other than 1,.6 or 11 for 2.4ghz WiFi all others get interfere with the adjacent channels as they have overlap with each other 1, 6, 11 don’t overlap.