Thunderstorm - power up issue

Indeed, I had a router, Airport Extreme and Unitiserve written off by a lightning strike through the phone line. The heavy hardwood cupboard they lived in exploded, the room filled with smoke and the BT socket blew off the wall. It’s amazing how much current can be carried down such a thin copper wire.

Our house is in an exposed location with the phone line above roof level, so we are somewhat prone to lightning damage. After that incident I replaced all my network cables with fibre to help isolate the Hifi and other peripheral devices. The next strike we had killed the phone instead of the router, so I’d like to think my strategy might have worked, but who knows.

1 Like

Heard a rumble of thunder about 10 minutes ago. Powered down and unplugged the hifi, better safe than sorry. Had another rumble which nearly rattled the windows! No music until later as its raining hard and rumbling all around!! Any member reading this thread take note of the warnings and advice.

Looks like all the lightning is in a system heading ENE that at moment is between Bristol & Tewkesbury.

Whether the overlap matters really depends on who’s doing what around you. In my case someone else’s network was showing up on 6 and Qobuz wouldn’t even play. Move to 7 and nothing is being impinged upon and Qobuz plays like a dream.

Our Livebox blew up during very spectacular storm on Thursday night .
Orange France delivered new improved version ( gratis ) this morning …all now working well with much improved speeds.
Regards

Awaiting our next round of storms at 9pm so I’m getting hours in whilst I can. However, our last 3 forecasts of storms came to nought so…

Thank goodness! I guess you were spared it raining babies.

Roger

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.