Tidal Connect

I donā€™t think youā€™ll need to wait too much longer for Tidal Connect.

3 months is still a fair while in software world, and thatā€™s assuming towards the start of summer!

Truth be told, Iā€™d have more faith if youā€™d just said it will be a summer of new streaming options!

Hi @Naim.Marketing hopefully youā€™re referring to some new hardware as well in the summer :smile:

While I know the current Atoms work just fine and eventually will be getting a Tidal Connect update, its been 4 years since this range was released and were probably designed 1-2 years before then so Iā€™m hoping at some point you plan on updating the hardware in this range and Iā€™m holding out for a new Atom in summer :crossed_fingers:

The current Uniti range are global, award-winning bestsellers - no plans to replace any of the existing models, all of which will keep getting upgrades via software updates.

Youā€™ll need to watch this space re any other launches :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When are you shipping my 272.2? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Looks like Cambridge Audio are ahead - theyā€™re removing Tidal integration from their app, which would mean less bug-fixing on their side of thingsā€¦

Not long to wait for the Naim implementation now, I can assure you :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Thank you so much Clare. You dont really expect to buy gear and have automatic feature updates, let alone free updates. We really do all appreciate it, and thank you all!

2 Likes

Paying premium, I do.

2 Likes

I cant recall last time I took my car in the garage, and they gave it back to me to say ā€œBy the way, weā€™ve added AirCon, added 10BHP and reduced MPG, and dont worry no chargeā€.

Sorry, the car analogy doesnā€™t work in SW space 2021.

3 Likes

OK, so in SW space - feature updates of software normally come in Version updates and either need a new purchase, or a ongoing subscription. So yes you are paying Tidal a subscription, but that doesnā€™t guarantee the underlying platform will support that change. Of course you will always find examples of getting free feature updates, but I dont find them that common.

You should try Fujifilm cameras. Regular and often significant updates. Itā€™s like getting a free new camera every so often.

Until the hardware simply canā€™t cope with the new software potentially availableā€¦Then you buy a new Fuji because the camera and the manufacturer are both so excellent.

3 Likes

And yet people wonder why so many look to chord DACs/scalers etc rather than stick with Naim all the way through their systemā€¦

This is getting way off-topic, but with e.g. Tesla things like these happen even without having to take your car to the garage, just OTA (over-the-air) updates to the embedded software in your car.
[So @Blackbird, it does work for some car brands. :wink: ]

To get a little more on-topic, these days a lot is software (hardware being ā€˜just the vehicleā€™), and itā€™s reasonable to expect decent support & updates for quite some time. If not, youā€™d switch to a different vendor. Now as to the business model behind thatā€¦

Iā€™d be unhappy if ever find out that, like a Tesla, my NDX2 already contains the actual hardware for better performance but it was artificially locked away until I pay more :wink:

I know you jest, but it is not dissimilar to bringing your fossil fuel car to a chip tuning shop. All that power was already there, itā€™s a matter of tweaking the proper parameters and adjusting timings etc.
Some may even see an analogy here to what Roy :ear: :ear: does when finalising the SQ for releases.

[And then thereā€™s the old mainframe days, where an upgrade could consist of an engineer coming by clipping a few wires or changing a jumper, and less than 10 minutes later your mainframeā€™s capacity had doubled.]

It was indeed in jest and itā€™s a complex topic, as you already said itā€™s best to stay on topic

Will there be ā€œQobuz connectā€ too?
Apologies if that isnā€™t even a thing; have tried Tidal and qobuz on my Muso 2ā€™s and am erring toward choosing qobuz.
Thanks

No Qobuz connect option yet, but I know theyā€™ve been asked for it! On your Mu-so 2nd Gen,you can, of course, use Qobuz via AirPlay or Chromecast as well as natively within the Naim App, if you want to use the Qobuz App (youā€™ll only get the full high-res experience via Naim App implementation, but that may be less of a concern via a Mu-so than a larger system)

Thanks Clare.
The naim app works well. Just the volume control on the app a bit fiddly on my iPhone, thats all. But certainly good enough and the sound quality via qobuz is just great.

1 Like