Tidal Connect

Hi,
I just found out that Tidal Connect is working on my Node 2i and on the app on the host PC but not on my muso qb (1st gen). Can you make it also working on my qb?

Its only available on new Naim Cube/Musoā€¦

Sometimes it seems that people feel that Naim is the only company that does not add all new functionality to all streaming models. My first generation Bluesound Node bought in 2016 to get access to Tidal is regularly not updated with the latest and greatest features added to the current bluesound models. Not something I worry about, but of course the price I paid for the node is lower than for a real Naim streamer. The problem here is deciding on what to buy when you are in the market for a new streamer.

1 Like

Is it? Iā€™m on firmware 4.2.0 but no Tidal Connect.

Tidal Connect is not yet implemented on Naim products, but coming soon.

1 Like

Wellā€¦ 2021 they say.

1 Like

Hey, you did not reply when in 2021 this update will come.
Further more: can you confirm that then MQA will be supported?
I will decide this week to buy a uniti nova or an NAD M33. So this is important to me as a Tidal user

If you need MQA I think youā€™d be better off going with the NAD.
Even when Tidal connect does happen I donā€™t think it will support MQA.

Steve Harris already said no MQA support I am afraid. Naim are still on the fence about it.

Oh it would take you ca. 5 minutes to learn the difference between house and hip hop or whatever. Itā€™s easy, you can do it.

1 Like

Bought the Naim Nova and Focal Kanta 2.
I go with Roon. So MQA will be supported in Roon. So I donā€™t care about internal support from Naim regarding this codec.

Have never much liked the Naim App (on Android) - would generally prefer to connect directly from the content providerā€™s software where possible. Have had Roon for a half year or so and little used as not a great fan either. Thought Naim were supposed to be ā€˜launch partnersā€™ for Tidal Connect ? Any idea when in 2021 firmware update will make Tidal Connect available to Naim streamers ? PS. Very difficult to connect to ND5 XS2 on Naim app in Android ā€¦ takes forever - even when already connected earlier & still playing. PPS. Why no Naim app on Windows - will that ever come ?

1 Like

Ah right ā€¦ Iā€™ll give it a crack ! Many thanks.

1 Like

Agreedā€¦ for Gen1 MuSo users with Androd and Windows it seems you can:

1. Use Spotify Connect to connect to multiple MuSo
  2. Use Tidal, only via the NAIM App.
  3. Use Quboz not at all unless you also use Roon.

Shameā€¦ unless I am wrong ?

The BubbleUpnp app for Android allows you to stream Tidal and Qobuz directly to a Muso 1.

2 Likes

Thanks Iā€™ll try that. But I assume it is then playing from your phone, depleting the battery. Itā€™s not like Spotify/Tidal Connect or Chromecast and I assume Airplay where the stream is handed off?

It sets up a stream que via the Naim unit and Tidal/Qobuz. You should be able to shut the phone down and it will continue playing till the que you set up empties.

Editā€¦ my assumption above is incorrect.
The app needs to be running in the background to keep the stream and que going. Similar I believe to the Mconnect app.

Not if your using BubbleUPnP server installed on a Nas or computer. The app then becomes a client to it and it will continue to stream if app is closed as its pushing from the server end and not the client. This also allows others to use the same playlists as they are stored on the server.

I am familiar with that, I did not want to make it complicated. The BubbleUpnp app works fine with the older Naim streamers streaming from Tidal/Qobuz/NAS, granted it just needs to be running in the foreground or background on your phone/tablet.

Hi I am a newbie and have got myself totally confused. I am the delighted owner of a star. However Tidal connect is confusing the heck out of me. I have the star connected to the router via an ethernet cable. When i use tidal i doā€™nt get the tidal connect option only chrome cast. when I select this it plays via the tidal app for a while then the Naim app takes over.
This is very confusing to my simple mind as I choose a lot of track based radios in tidal. the only way I can see them in the Naim app is to save them as a playlist.
seems a bit fiddly what am I doing wrong ? all help gratefully received