Tidal drop outs with

I’m easily confused on this stuff, to be fair. For example, what’s TCP?

…just finishing up playing two full albums on TIDAL without any dropouts. Using NAIM APP on iPad > NDX with ethernet connection. Starting up a third album when the current track completes. I have not any continuous problems with NAIM/TIDAL in quite some time.

I hope whatever issues that are causing problems for you out there are resolved soon…

I had a great lisinening session this morning with very few drop out. Today lunchtime dropping out every song…here we go again!

Having just the same TIDAL dropout problems too (not even lasting a song) after downloading new software today. Going to email Naim and ask what now…???

This is the reply I got from Naim HQ the day of the software update release.

Hi, thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry to hear you are having an issue with Tidal streaming. Over the last week we have noticed an increase in the number of people reporting this issue.

​Currently we have not been able to reproduce the issue in our UK office. We are talking to Tidal and are currently working with them to identify the issue and to rectify it.

At the moment it is impossible to give you and idea of time scale. Be we are both working to find a solution.

1 Like

To be honest Mike if TCP means tithing to you, I wouldn’t get involved. But it is a communications protocol that enables the transport of data payloads across networks as reliably as it can between two hosts.

But I guess one thing that is relevant is that performance is not determined by the download speed of your broadband (unless critically low) but the tiime it takes for data to go backwards and forwards across the networks (internet and home network) for a given throughout. Home broadband services with a high ratio difference between upload and download speeds can be more prone to higher TCP latency.

1 Like

Well I have been listening to TIDAL at work using the TIDAL Website. I use the TIDAL website to listen on my work computer (because of IT lockdown I can’t install the TIDAL application).

I listened all day Monday through Friday and found that there are temporary dropouts of a few seconds throughout the day but at 12:00 local time through about 15:00 the dropouts become frequent and severe. Some dropouts last a couple of minutes before reconnecting.

My link at work is 100 MB/sec and when TIDAL drops out I move over to the ABC classic fm live music stream with no glitching so it isn’t the network connection.

If you check the GMT time for the major dropouts it is between 2:30 am and 4:30 am GMT. If the stream coming into the NDX is interrupted in the same way you would have to buffer several minutes worth of music to compensate. Which means that when you hit play there would be a 2 minute delay before you heard anything. Even the momentary dropouts could cause a problem.

I think that the TIDAL servers are at fault because my work setup has no NAIM components in it at all. The fact that I am on the other side of the world can’t help. Makes you wonder if hitching your wagon to this horse was a good idea after all?

This makes no sense at all, there is no correlation what so ever… so quite possibly network tcp latencyctelated in your situation …

Still no dropouts on Tidal at all using my NDX2 since Christmas… or my Tidal iOS app ever, or Roon from early January or using BubbleUPnPServer as a proxy using my NDX… the latter was using 3.4Mbps/412kbps ADSL link. My old NDX directly connected used to drop out frequently. The new architectures are hugely improved here.

Anyway Naim are now very recently aware of the new flow issues and can replicate, let’s see what work around they come up with

1 Like

Does anyone know if owners of streaming products other than Naim who use Tidal to stream their music are having this ‘dropping the signal’ issue?

The issue of dropouts caused by high latency is specific to the old generation Naim streamers due to their small buffers. I’m not aware of any reports of this particular issue with other brands.

Is my Naim muso purchased in June 2018 considered an old streamer?

Yes, in that Naim redesigned their streaming platform and released new models, first the Uniti range, then the main separates range, and so far, have not released an updated Muso.

In the IT world (in which streamers are) anything older than 6 months is old an outdated …

So my 8 year old router and 12 year old switch, through which I listen to music on a 5 year old server through a 2 year old streamer, are somehow inadequate despite the fact that they work perfectly well?

1 Like

In modern world standards yes …

Note I have a Uniti bought 2011 and it’s good enough for me.

Sorry, I don’t understand your point. As far as I’m concerned, it is absolutely unnecessary to change home networking and music hardware anything like as frequently as that.

The point is that if you want all the latest features and want to be sure that anything like streaming services dropouts don’t affect your audio experience you need to have latest hardware/software. If you are lucky not to have any problems with new services and old equipment that’s just great. However it’s not evidently the case for everyone.

I myself am more like a vinyl guy so a few dropouts every now and then don’t bother me that much although it can be annoying when it happens.

I just phoned the Naim support desk and asked if they are aware of the Tidal/Naim drop out issue, and the response was yes both Naim and Tidal are working on a resolution to the problem.

1 Like

A quick review of recent Sonos and Bluesound forums regarding dropout issues indicates these two streaming device manufacturers are experiencing the same problems with Tidal.

3 Likes

If true then I’m sure Tidal will get its sh!t together sooner than later. If not it could be the beginning of the end.

1 Like