Tidal drop outs with

There were some threads on the old forum about how to set up BubbleUPnP server, it’s easy enough, and gives you access to Qobuz too, which might be an alternative if Tidal doesn’t improve for you.

1 Like

So the thought is not enough buffering to cope with a suspect network (or broadband) connection? tbh I’ve been thinking for a long time this is down to local networking (or broadband) issues. Other client devices might well cope fine because they might have better buffering. As you say playing with f/w is very unlikely to fix this. The fix would seem to be sort out local network issues e.g. dump wifi maybe? Has anyone with issues tried the lower spec tidal service? You would still need the f/w update to cope with the change over to mp4 but, if it fixes the problem, then this might confirm the cause.

If it IS this then what about putting something in the middle of the network/internet connection that can add some buffering? I don’t know but some form of proxy server? Just random thoughts.

1 Like

This issue has plagued some Tidal users since Naim introduced Tidal integration, and the main issue identified is latency which could be too high due to delays at any point between the Tidal server you use, your ISP, and your home network. Thus the problem is inconsistent, and fast internet speeds don’t help. I have been lucky, and generally don’t have these problems, where others have experienced them to varying degrees.
It would be great if Naim manage to find a lasting solution to this, but I’m not sure if they ever will. Better, I think, to move on to other solutions if you want to be able to relax and enjoy your music. There are quite a few workarounds if you prefer to stick with a ‘legacy’ streamer, some free or very cheap, others a bit more costly.

Nor do I - I hardly ever get tidal dropouts on my 272 with ethernet connection.

Forum readers. Read the comment by ChrisSU several times if you have to, to understand what @ChrisSU is saying. You will not get a better explanation elsewhere.

Unfortunately I think that is all true but I’m not sure if there will be a 272 replacement. I’m also not sure I want to change gear just to stream Tidal via Naim app. Fortunately there is a work around for Tidal so all in all I guess it’s not the worse thing ever just an annoyance for now. Frustration sometimes gets the best of us especially me from time to time.

1 Like

I can understand your frustration, and if I had experienced that level of performance, I would certainly want a lasting and reliable solution. Fortunately there are several, even if a permanent fix from Naim isn’t one of them.

2 Likes

i didn’t have drop outs before, but understood from your posts that it can ameliorate the ethernet flow. I was wrong ?

i have 12 megabits ethernet in my home, a prehistoric streamer, but had never drop outs on streaming. But drop outs on my tv, i have to reboot often.

I don’t have drop outs streaming other than Tidal. I think I read you do not use Tidal. The issue is old Naim legacy streamers and Tidal working together.

i use tidal two months per year, on summer, not every day, but sometimes in that period. So very little use i confess, but had never drop outs.

I haven’t had any for over a year but the last 2 weeks have been disappointing to say the least. I’ll just start buying cds again to rip abc store on NAS. Use Tidal to demo before purchase. 1st world problems I guess.

1 Like

i have not tried recently. I listen on my ipad , on itunes, bandcamp, allmusic…before purchasing.

Exactly, this is what many of us did with first gen streamers … bubbleupnpserver is a good proxy. Lots on the old forum about this.

BTW there is a growing confusion about buffers in this thread… there is the ‘buffer’ that is the sample spool memory and this is hugely increased in the new generation streamer hardware such that tracks can be loaded at a time for the most part, and then there is the TCP window buffering … this is the network TCP buffer that defines the relationship between throughout and overall latency… critically on the first gen streamers this buffer is quite limited, and with loss less flac becomes sensitive to TCP latency variability.
Issues in the latter will affect the spool memory buffer rapidly filling. Although I have not measured for sure, the performance of the TCP window buffereing looks to have improved in the new gen streamers too

Simon

2 Likes

Thanks, Simon.
You’re right. I’ve just spent a couple of hours flipping between the Tidal app (using AirPlay) and the Naim app (listening to the same songs on each) and there definitely is greater clarity/definition in the sound quality using the Naim app.
I appreciate that you and Mike_S have given me some feedback. Let’s hope Naim has a solution soon.
Steve.

2 Likes

Isn’t the missing link, why this has become an issue in the last two weeks, when functionality was fine before then? Something has changed.

1 Like

Perhaps, for a specific issue that has been caused by a recent change, perhaps on Tidal’s servers - or some of them - or maybe elsewhere. Without knowing exactly what is going on out there in cyberspace, we can only guess where exactly the problem lies. The trouble is, others have had similar problems with Naim/Tidal since the start, which suggests to me that there is always a chance that it will recur in future.

1 Like

I agree. I’ve had my NDX since 2014 with very few drop outs over that time, the last three weeks has been appalling. I committed to buying a SH NDS when they confirmed the fix, if they can’t get this sorted it will be going back I’m afraid.

I’ve had my muso since June, 2018 and have had the problem of songs stop playing right from the start. I thought it was because of poor wifi connectivity in our home. That’s why I spent close to $500 on the Netgear Orbi 3000 mesh router system. That resulted in little or no improvement. I added an Ethernet cable between the satellite router and the muso. Ditto for lack of results. However, the past 2 or 3 weeks have been the worst.
Currently listening through AirPlay to Tidal app (diminished SQ but zero drops) until a solution is provided by Naim or Tidal.

1 Like

I recently picked up a secondhand Uniti2, which has been great. But, with the latest drop-outs, I would have held off and waited until I could go for a new generation streamer.

1 Like