Tidal drop outs with

Have you had issues prior to playing the playlist? On my 272 there are times I can make it through an album of two and other times I can’t make it through the first song.

1 Like

I’ve not had any Tidal issues ever (even using the Naim app). I normally use BubbleUPnP though so rarely use the Naim App so on this occasion I thought I’d use it and see if it stopped playing at any point.

1 Like

Firmware version 4.7 is nothing to do with the Tidal drop outs. It didn’t set out to fix them and it doesn’t make them worse.
Best
David

I’m aware of that, I just mentioned it as I did the update yesterday.

Sorry to tell you the obvious then, but there is a lot of confusion about and I think some think the recent firmware changes were intended to fix this Tidal issue.
Best
David

I think Naim themselves helped with that confusion. They posted about FW update in a thread about Tidal drop outs.

2 Likes

That’s not what naim told me - they thought the 4.7 would fix the dropout issue

Completely agree Mike - I couldn’t care less and not interested in what the underlying IT issue is. The fact is I (recently) spent a lot of money for a product that doesn’t do what I bought it for (yet, as you say, our cheap old units on exactly the same streaming service have no issue!).

2 Likes

I don’t want to interrupt the thread, but does playing Tidal through Bubble improve the SQ as well as the reliability?
And do you use Asset to do it?
And is it easy to set up and use?
Sorry if this covered elsewhere…

To eliminate your own network have you tried connecting via 4g over your phone? Or tested at somebody else’s place, or dealers?

Playing Tidal via Bubble gives a nice improvement in SQ. Partly because of the option to transcode to WAV but mainly because of the proxy server function of the BubbleUPnP server.
Your Naim streamer is then essentially seeing a local stream and not an internet one.
I run mine on a RasPi. Cost 50 quid.
:grinning:

1 Like

Could someone post a link on how to setup?

So do you need a Bubble server like Asset UPnP to control the process as well as Bubble UPnP?
What does the transcoding - the R.Pi - or some software?
To get my head around this, should I plough my way thru this? https://bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver/#what_is_bubble_upnp_server

Do you have any hints?
or should I start a different track on this?
or just read up on the old forum?

Yes on both accounts… additionally BubbleUPnP transcodes Tidal to WAV, So appears as a local WAV file to the streamer.

1 Like

Simon, I’ve tried finding your original post on the old forum but cannot remember the title you gave it :grinning:

Using BubbleUPnP server certainly doesn’t degrade sound quality, and if anything, I’d say it improves it. It also allows you to use Qobuz on an old generation Naim streamer. You can run it on vitually anything, such as a NAS or computer you already own. Well worth trying in my opinion.

1 Like

My ND5 XS was originally using a wired connection with a Trendnet mains adapter via a CAT 5e cable and ran faultlessly with Tidal. Today I installed a Netgear switch and a CAT 6a cable directly to the ND5. Low and behold Tidal stops playing tracks after 10 or 20 seconds, continuously. After copious testing I was confident that my network wasn’t at fault.

A couple of hours ago, in frustration, I signed out of Tidal in the Naim app and then logged in again. It’s been faultless ever since.

Not sure if this will work for everyone that’s having this issue, but it seems to have solved it for me.

HTH

Tris

1 Like

Remember guys, this issue is transient… it will come and go…

As far as running BubbleUPnP Server, do use Google… and follow their website guides.
Then set it to discover your Naim streamer as an OpenHome renderer… you should be well away after that.

Lots of people are having issues, including my local Naim dealer and they know what they’re doing (NZ/Aus distributor and are certified by Naim to do full recaps etc themselves). They’ve just told me they’re in daily contact with Naim regarding the issue. As before, how can it be the network if other devices work faultlessly on it?

1 Like

A little different for Singapore, only ISP is giving problems. What if it was the ISP blocking a certain connection to the streamer or like a firewall? :thinking: