Tidal drop outs with

I have played eight albums in the last 24 hours using TIDAL (HiFi Subscription) and have not had any dropouts. I have a hardwire ethernet connection to my NDX.

This has to be frustrating to the vendors as well as the users being impacted.

I hope the problem is resolved soon. TIDAL is always on the edge financially and if they have a mass exodus it could be catastrophic for them and I like their service and hope it stays in the marketplace.

1 Like

Settings cog > input settings > Tidal

1 Like

Another Uniti2 here in New Zealand. Tidal unplayable for 3 weeks now.

Sign out / in seems to help

1 Like

Didn’t for me unfortunately.

To be honest, that is completely coincidental… account authentication bears no relevance to the issue at hand.

2 Likes

Surely it’s about time there was some sort of official statement from Naim, if only to acknowledge the problem.
@Richard.Dane anything you can do to encourage this?

I also hope Tidal keeps going. It’s a good service.

I wonder whether the fact that they are always on the edge financially (which I did not know) helps to explain the background to this problem? Are they cutting corners on their network/ICT budget - e.g. by using cheaper carriers or even trying out other compression technologies?

It’s more Naim specific. I have no Tidal droputs on Bubble only on the Naim app.

Gavin, from what I can see and have read about, it doesn’t appear to be anything specifically related to Naim, although it may well affect certain devices using certain connections and protocols more than others - many are affected who have no Naim kit at all, although it is definitely frustrating for anyone so affected. I expect Naim (and assume other manufacturers too) are doing all they can to work with Tidal to get to the bottom of the problem. I’m sure both Naim (and Tidal) will be reading this forum and are well aware of the frustration and want to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

2 Likes

I hope someone with clout is reading this forum.

Frustration isn’t the right word. Let’s be blunt here; a Naim streamer isn’t cheap - it costs the sort of money that makes ordinary people cough if they discover how much we’re prepared to spend. And a few grand for a streamer is only the start; add an amp, speakers, rack… Reality is if you have a Naim streamer you’ve almost certainly blown the best part of 10 grand on audio gear, and probably a whole lot more. And when a key part of it suddenly stops working and it’s apparently either Naim or Tidal but no-one’s really sure hence there’s no real ownership of the problem, it’s not frustrating, it’s bloody annoying. It’s annoyed me to the point that I’m now pondering if I really want to own the black boxes that clutter up one room of the house and that now doesn’t work for what I bought it for on the rare occasions I can sit down and use it to its full potential. Enjoy the music? Pfft. Sit waiting for the next drop out; it won’t be long unless it’s 3 in the morning.

The chances of me upgrading are next to zero now. Maybe I’ll relax a bit if & when it’s fixed, but for now Naim & Tidal have gone from being a slightly barmy indulgence to being a damn nuisance that can’t even provide the service that’s cost so much to get to and still costs £20 a month for something that’s useless. Cancelled btw.

Come on Naim and Tidal, bang your heads together, indicate to us the punter that something is actually being done to resolve this problem , and at the same time let your dealers know that the recent f/w fix isn’t the solution. Bad information is worse than no information.

4 Likes

You’re absolutley right to be annoyed. It needs a statement from Naim at this point.

As a Bubble user for my main system I’ve not been affected apart from on Sunday morning when I was using the Qb via the Naim app. I know you’re probably foaming at the mouth at the moment :rage: but could you put Bubble UPnP on your NAS (assuming you have one) and the use Bubble App (I prefer it to the Naim App now anyway)? Drop outs are then history. And sitting down to play music is then enjoyable again. :sunglasses:

Ok a little update which may or may not be helpful. I had a Virgin engineer due with me today, but in light of this thread I thought I’d give Naim a call this morning and see what the score was, well they do know there’s a problem and are in contact with Tidal to see what’s been done at that end to cause the problem. They also took my email address to keep me up to date on a solution [fingers crossed], so I cancelled Virgin and will wait to hear from Naim.
In the mean time, and I’m sure a lot of you will not be happy with this, but it’s working for me and for the moment I find it far preferable to the endless dropouts. Go WiFi instead of hardwired and drop the streaming quality in Tidal to high, so the files are streaming as AAC files which I don’t find too bad. So far I haven’t had a dropout on my 272 with this, although my qute at the high setting but hardwired via TP link is still dropping out, unfortunately I can’t try it in other configurations due to the readout being illegible in daylight because of the failed LED display, make you weep wouldn’t it. Anyway, hope that helps, I’ve no idea why Naim aren’t more forthcoming with helpful updates, it does seem to be a misguided policy but I’m sure they’ll have their reasons…Robert.

The problem is here in Canada as well. I’ve got a service ticket in with Tidal at the moment and it is not exclusive to Naim. My Moon Mind and Bluesound devices also experience dropout.
Tim

I am using Tidal for more than 3 years now - its the first time I _systematically _ have problems with Tidal on my NDX. Tracks stop midway, between 50 and 150 seconds into the track.

For whatever it’s worth when I stream Tidal to NDX using the mconnect app I do not run into similar problems - I have no idea how to explain this.

Very frustrating - and this is from someone who has (in the old forum) consistently defended the NAIM implementation of Tidal.

1 Like

I’m mothballing my Qb until it’s sorted.

I don’t use Tidal, but since this is listed as a feature of Naim streamers and it isn’t working, then this should be a priority 1 high severity issue. Naim engineers should be working 24 hours a day until a solution is found. This kind of inattentive response can really damage a client base.

1 Like

there are a lot , like me, who don’t use tidal, but stream locally.
However i understand easily that it’s a major problem for the others.

I am like you FR,I only stream from my Core,and stream internet radio with my NDS.Everything is working perfectly,and I still have not bothered with the 4.7 update.I always thought about this happening with Tidal…what do you do if it goes bankrupt,or simply stops working?I would much rather own my music,than rent it.

1 Like

The lack of response from Naim on this thread is worrying it suggests no fix soon.

Okay this seems to be down to Tidal changing protocols etc. but this shows major vulnerabilities of any streaming device old, current or future.

2 Likes