Tidal launches HiFi Plus

Understood- but if you try via TIDAL Connect on the TIDAL App we can narrow down the problem.

If you don’t want to try that, try restarting your router as suggested.

Thx. I will try all those suggested.

Btw, any sound quality diff in hifi plus?

Thx all as finally it works after resetting my router… :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

People appear to work under the assumption that it’s an either/or thing. You can have HiFi Plus and buy the album, you know? :wink: Heck, if you want to maximally support your artist, you should visit their concert (if and when these start happening again, one never knows with these COVID19 waves…), buy their album directly from them, then never play it but only listen to it through a streaming service. That way they would get payed three times. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

The Tidal app already tells me who, with 11 days to go, my money would go to this month:

And that’s every month, not just the once I buy an album.

P.S. Happy to see it’s not Taylor Swift. :smirk_cat: When I saw her album was titled “Red (Taylor’s Version)”, I briefly thought it was a collection of King Crimson covers. Now that would have been a radical concept. Boy, was I disappointed when I listened to it… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

FWIW, I find that TIDAL via the Naim app (despite being “only” cd quality) sounds way better than streaming from the TIDAL app, via Airplay, to my NDX. Perhaps Airplay is the weak link in the chain? Not sure. But, TIDAL via the Naim app sounds better to me.

Airplay is a lossy way of transferring music, so you lose resolution and quality on the way. That could explain why you experience the loss in sound quality.

2 Likes

Agreed. @Paulie1 - what Naim product do you have? Current Uniti range and streamers support TIDAL Connect streaming direct from the TIDAL App (this is coming to Mu-so 2nd Gen family in a few weeks’ time, too)

I have an NDX 2.

I’m afraid I don’t quite understand streaming from my iPad (for example) from the TIDAL app without using Airplay. Is this what you mean?

Yes, that’s right - and good news, your NDX 2 supports TIDAL Connect (assuming you’re running at least firmware 3.7, and the latest version of the Naim App).

Try this:

1. In the TIDAL app, open the “Now Playing” screen while playing a song.
  2. On the “Now Playing” screen, look for speaker icon and select it
  3. Choose your NDX 2 from the list. It’s that simple.

To illustrate - see speaker icon top right here, next to the Hi-Fi button

Then choose your NDX 2 as a TIDAL Connect option from the drop down menu - like I can choose my ND555 here

1 Like

Is Taylor Swift your bestie?

2 Likes

I don’t see anything confusing in Mike’s example. It gives you a list of all versions available to Roon of that specific album. Two MQA versions are clearly labelled as such from Tidal and there is a Non MQA version from Tidal at 44.1/16. Qobuz version which is being viewed and the version in Mikes Library is 44.1/24 there is no hires PCM Tidal.

It was confusing enough to convince Mike there was non-MQA high-res on TIDAL!

It’s the comma after ‘24bit’ that sowes the tiniest seed of doubt (not to mention the unnecessary repetition of 44.1kHz following MQA)

1 Like

That is not repetition its for indicating the ORFS value of MQA files and the rate they can unfold to get back to it. MQA files are wrapped in 44.1/24 or 48/24 flac containers. The ORFS part indicates the original sample frequency the MQA is mastered from. If it’s a master that was created from a higher source the second but would say. 88.1/24… These are made from 44.1/24 source material hence why you see it twice

1 Like

Clearly this is true. But personally I don’t see any benefit in Hi-Fi Plus in my system.

But I will continue to see the small bands I like when they tour and buy merch at the gig.

EXACTLY what the average person will be thinking when they see it :wink:

3 Likes

Clare does Tidal Connect give small improved SQ versus playing Tidal from the Naim app? I think there is no difference in SQ but i just want to be sure.

And there really really is nothing between CD lossless Quality from Tidal HiFi on one hand and MQA from Tidal HiFi Plus on the other?

10 euro to additionally support my favourite artists would then be my only thing to decide upon.

By the way I have always had the expensive Tidal version, playing now via ND5XS2

Cheers

@Naim.Marketing from the Naim App there is a code for 3 month Tidal try for free? But it’s only for Tidal Hi-Fi Plus or also for Tidal Hi-Fi?
Can I downgrade at the end of 3 months trial?

Cheers Clare! I also have a MuSo 2nd Gen. I’ll look forward to the update. Thanks!

1 Like

Question is…how do you find/select Hi-Res in Tidal? And how big is the amount of Hi-Res albums?