Tidal Max not working

Thanks for the tip on Roon @iamoneagwin, I’ve got Roon and Tidal Max working nicely now :slight_smile:

Yes, Tidsl app has lyrics, but IIRC streaming from iPhone is limited to 96/24… And it’s quite difficult to figure out the real rate.

Not a fan af Nain app too, too buggy, not the quality I was expecting from Naim. Yesterday it locked me out of the device. Same wifi, no bridges.
It was correctly streaming radio (so it was connected to my network) but no device was detected by the app. I was then able to connect from tidal app but not from Naim app. I had to repeat the 1st connection procedure with remote control to recover. Really annoying. And sincerely a stopper for further investments in Naim ND/NS* devices.

That’s why waiting for Tidal Connect update with Max setting. But I’m so use to roon that probably just stick with that. But always good to have choices.

Not great PR for Tidal or Naim this is it? If I went into a hifi shop saying that I wanted a high end streamer but it has to play Tidal Max immediately. Naim are not even in the running for a demo.

5 Likes

It’s possibile?

Airplay “High Res”

Tidal connect “normal high”

4 Likes

And there are more than enough Naim users who are willing to beta test this. I have approached Naim more than once to show my willingness and availability to beta test, but unfortuntately Naim never bothered to respond

1 Like

Naim have a beta test programme in place. They won’t release a version for testing until they have completed in-house development and testing. They are not best known for being quick off the mark when releasing new features, but better that than for them to rush releases as soon as people start complaining.

I don’t think there is much wrong with RERO (release early, release often) style of development. Honestly, I’d prefer it if Naim did that.

Presumably Naim would disagree, as they have never done that. In this case we can only guess where they are up to with Tidal and Stream Unlimited, plus the added complication of how to keep the app interacting smoothly with the 1st gen streamers that can’t handle a 24 bit stream from the web.

1 Like

In any scenario, some… any… info from Naim would be welcome though… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Have to say the asking price of the new naim
Streamer 333 without tidal max is a bit on the high side

2 Likes

That is surprisingly rude of Naim.

Maybe a bit too simple but I still do not understand the problem with Gen 1 streamers. I have a Unitilite which is able to stream 24bit/192kHz according to the naim specifications. At the moment my Tidal Connect can only accept HIFI so in order to switch to HIFI+ I only need a firmware update. If my Unitilite cannot stream Tidal HIFI+ it does not meet its specifications or is this again too simple?

1 Like

The problem with Gen 1 streamers is that they were designed only for local streaming and so they only needed a small buffer.

It turned out ten years later that this buffer is too small for high res streaming across the internet and so it is highly likely that you would suffer from breaks in your Tidal stream while the streamer buffers.

1 Like

Thanks David I think I understand but still the fact that the Naim Specifications do not specify that this applies only for local streaming since Gen. 1 streamers are made to work through the internet.

1 Like

Working with streaming across the internet wasn’t part of what green screen (gen 1) streamers were specified for, because it didn’t exist.

After Tidal was launched, Naim found that they could, just, accommodate CD quality streaming of Tidal and that was added by a firmware update to the Gen 1 streamers.

But they have repeatedly said that they can’t support hi res in those old legacy units.

1 Like

Unless you use a proxy like bubble upnp server then you’re effectively streaming from a local server

This has been discussed numerous times here, but the distinction between streaming from a local source (i.e. a server running on your home network) and a server running in a remote location which might be anywhere on Earth is key.
Naim’s 1st gen streamers were designed to take a 16/44.1 stream from a UPnP server in your home. They were then modified to cope with a 24 bit stream, which would still work.
The problem with Tidal and Qobuz is that even though data travels at the speed of light, when the data source is a server located thousands of miles from your streamer, the small buffer in a 1st gen streamer can empty before the next packet of data arrives, causing dropouts which would not have occurred if the data was sent from a server located just a few feet away.

No hi-res for Tidal on gen 1 streamers … Which is fine and fully understandable @davidhendon … But I would expect Tidal Max come to gen 2 streamers … the Mu-so gen 2 and QB gen 2 should be able to easily handle that … let alone all higher end devices with the StreamUnlimited 800 streaming board

1 Like