Tidal Max not working

Well I sort of agree unless that incremental change is propped up with a zimmer frame.

I’m referring to modern practice for software development teams to generally release builds every two weeks to incrementally move towards their goals. This gives their clients / customers confidence that they are working on implementing desired features and fixing issues.

It’s not so much that I’m annoyed at not having a date, it’s more the lack of any communication on the matter at all. Officially, as far as I am aware, we haven’t even been told that Tidal Max will ever be supported by Nam streamers. Surely we deserve better?

4 Likes

But maintain communication!

2 Likes

There was a forum post from naim where they listed models to be supported.

No timeline.

I must have missed that in nearly 500 posts :confused:.

I can’t find it now.

But basically it said 222/333/ND555/NDX2/ND5XS2 would get Tidal Max (cos they share the NP800 streaming board).

And all gen1 platform devices like NDS/272 would not.

Maybe it was on a Facebook group now I think of it.

Thanks for your insight Iain, really interesting.

I recognise the 272 behaviours well. When you talk about an HTTP request that means trying to listen to a radio preset via the remote?

My post of 25 July (#397) above quotes an email from Naim about what will/won’t be supported for the upgrade.

I’d forgotten what was stated:

"The implementation of Tidal Max into current Naim products is still on our roadmap for 2024.

This was originally planned for release around the start of the year, but due to unforeseen circumstances, we have made the decision to delay the launch until such time that it can be given our full support."

Is over a year a reasonable timeframe where Naim actively promotes Tidal through the 90-day free trial when purchasing Naim streamers?

2 Likes

Actually I had a shortcut on phone to browser interface on device.

All naim streamers have a basic website on the device IP.

Just find the IP (from router, phone app like Fing, or 272 network settings) and browse to it…

http://192.168.1.82 (that’s my NDX2)

I guess starting internet radio might do the same thing, but you have to remember to mute or turn down the volume!

1 Like

Too much wine, should clearly have found that post via a basic search lol

Also current Uniti streamers will get it (Atom, Atom HE, Star & Nova).

4 Likes

AirPlay to Uniti Nova.
MAX
Is it possible?

Sorry. No.

It may not even be a lossless connection between your phone and the Nova.

:man_shrugging:

AirPlay is technically limited to 24 bit and 48kHz in the current implementation.

So no support for “HIRes” frequencies like 96/192kHz.

However many 24 bit/48kHz recordings are very very good.

2 Likes

Hi Richard, I can understand some reluctance indeed. So I won’t ask for a date. But did they mention anything about supporting Qobuz Connect as well? Word is that Qobuz is working with partners to implement that, and their aim is this year. So to me it would sound logical if the Naim software update is supporting both Tidal Max and Qobuz Connect. Otherwise they have to do two updates… And that doesn’t seem realistic considering the amount of updates Naim releases…

I don’t know, sorry.

1 Like

I recall a firmware update some years ago on my original uniti that literally changed the sound signature on my uniti and all other legacy streamers. Some loved it, some preferred the original sound.

Does anyone believe that the impending Tidal Max update might also contain some fine tuning to the sound for the newer streaming systems?

There surely has to be some reason for the long delay on the update that goes beyond the seemingly straightforward integration of tidal max.

Just wondering out loud…

Based on the Streaming Unlimited firmware notes, their last 2 updates make no mention of Qobuz Connect. There are mentions of Tidal Max, Spotify updates, and even usb direct streaming. So, while Naim doesn’t have to allow for all the updates listed these firmwares, I doubt they would be doing anything additional outside of the streaming boards release. Believe it’s more customization and branding is all.

We can finally put this to rest. Latest firmware update includes Tidal Max support. Happy listening everyone!

6 Likes