Tidal Max not working

Roughly the same, I think slightly different processing is applied depending on the distribution master LUFS values, but then most cloud streamers do require slightly different levels if they are not to modify the audio.

1 Like

Next month I’ll give Tidal Connect a spin. I’m so impressed with the SQ of the latest Naim firmware update. I’m sure I’ll be happy with TC now that they’ve moved completely away from MQA

It’s good, I do subtly prefer the sound of Connect on my NDX2 compared to Naim App controlled streaming. Perhaps different software libraries, I don’t know, but noticeable … for the same track- 44.1/16 .

Connect also creates curated play lists on what you play… as well as allowing you to share your own compilation to the Tidal community… some are rather good…. It like home taping of the early 80s online.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m looking forward to a little experimentation.

It’s such a boon having Connect available again.

12 months of workarounds for NDX2 gone.

mConnect can manage favourites etc.

However there’s no substitute for the slick UI and usability of the Tidal app. Won’t be comparing to naim app SQ as that will never be used.

2 Likes

Yep is good… mind you, the Naim app treats Tidal Connect like Roon… so you get a screen with what’s playing and definition rate with basic transport controls with Tidal Connect or Roon logo… so the two aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive of each other…but you let Tidal Connect select the album, track or playlist… just like you do with the Roon app.

1 Like

Tidal has never sounded better on my system. But there is more than just the SQ.

No more work arounds such as MConnect.

More space on my rack. (I was using another streamer for Tidal to my NDX2.)

Less cables.

I can use my NDX2 remote to cycle between songs.

I can see the album artwork again.

Just a simpler listening experience with one box and one app.

Tidal Connect! The other streamer (Innuos Zen mini) did not support Tidal Connect but it did stream Tidal Max. Crazy, I know.

Oh, and the sound quality….even on “high” recordings.

3 Likes

Some of you have notice that Naim app doesn’t offert Max but TIDAL Connect does?

@Macamic. My Naim app found this album in Tidal Max.

I think you have to make sure you choose the right album if there are different versions.

1 Like

???!, Serching Pierre Gallon (suite française) gave me one album, I want your magic finger. I tried different key word = one album each time.

Interesting. Have you checked the input setting in the Naim app to make sure the Quality is set to Max for Tidal?

1 Like

BTW I noticed that if you have the older version of the Naim App (I still use an iPhone 7 which only goes as far as ios15.8.3) you cannot set Tidal to Max even though the firmware update to the NDX 2 supports it. I borrowed my wife’s iPad running ios18 and the new release of the Naim App which allowed me to set Tidal to Max.
I have not been back into the Tidal settings in the older app but using the older app now allows full HiRes 192k playback … when I can find them
Cheers

4 Likes

You were right, with the refreach of Naim app, the configuration has been kept to high. I moved the option to max.:+1:

2 Likes

Hello Daan, I got the update to 5.2 today :grinning:.
I am still completely blown by my NSS 333 - so much fun to listen to. I hope you do so too…
Peter

I think you”ll find if you cast Tidal Max using Tidal Connect to the streamer using the latest streamer firmware and a Tidal Max/Connect app, you don’t need any explicit support from the Naim app.
Regular Tidal is selected by the Naim app, and yes older app versions won’t or might not support that.
Though I have not explicitly done this without having set up regular Tidal on my current Naim app.
Though I only really stream Tidal Max via the Tidal Max Connect app as to my ears it sounds marginally better - on my NDX2.

Hi Peter, I have also installed the new firmware on my NSS 333 but honestly speaking I am disappointed about this upgrade. The SQ on my system has changed significantly. The sound is brighter (too bright) and the tight bass and dark sound of my system have disappeared. I was really looking forward to this new firmware but unfortunately it is not what I had hoped for.

2 Likes

Just a thought, but maybe swap back to the cables that came with your 300 series kit. Perhaps the changes in sound due to your aftermarket cables now takes the sound in the wrong direction for you when combined with the new firmware?

1 Like

Simon, I agree but I have set up loads of “favourites “ in the app so they appear on the front panel. This is because some of the time the ndx2 is very shy and doesn’t appear in my list of devices even though my Qb and Muso are keen to help out. When it does this it also disappears from the tidal connect list. So I end up using the remote…

Today received the newsletter announcing tidal max via Naim and Focal app. However, after updating app it streams at Flac 44.1kHz via naim App. Via Air Play with Tidal app it streams same song at 24-bit 192kHz. No ‘Max’ under input settings either:

Is this (yet again) due to “lack of support” on muso 1st gen? Or is update of app not yet released in the Netherlands?

Although the post I’ve linked below refers to the streamers/all in ones, the same issue is there on 1st gen. MuSos. So they will not get Tidal Max as far as we know.