Tiger Paw LP12 with Lingo 4 vs Radikal

But lots of options other than a Powerline. I wouldn’t let that determine my choice.

I have never found the Powerline to add anything to any piece of Naim gear or any other manufacturer. I have only found benefits. Probably down to the non-use of exotic metals, etc…

Source problems (under spec, poor set-up, bouncey floor, rack near/between speakers, windows,etc) usually present the listener with something they don’t like and consequently try and solve with various other pieces of gear.

Unlike av gear, which is a mishmash of parts and adding a bit if silver here and there can work wonders on an already unrefined signal.

I’ve just checked the Linn price list on the Cymbiosis web site and can confirm that the bundled Radikal/Urika option is still offered - it saves about £600 over buying the two separately.

Thanks Clive, I’m done for now :eyes:££££
:grin:

…Well, for the next few months
:joy:

1 Like

I think Peter @Cymbiosis maybe able to extend the £600 Linn bundle offering if buying a Urika at a later date [perhaps within a year?]. It would be free to ask him.

Much as i really liked my prefix, it’s no match for a Urika, which when used with a Radikal also saves need for the separate phono stage power supply needed on the prefix, so frees up a shelf, and the prefix and PS could be traded in to help fund the Urika : )

4 Likes

I’m tempted by a Urika for the same reason Debs. Out of interest, did you audition a Superline vs Urika before buying and if so, What did you think of that comparison?
Kevin

Interesting experiences and comments,

Chacun and all that - here are my experiences and thoughts. The LP12 has a long history of 3rd party mods and bolt-ons. Since I first heard the TT I have had enormous respect for the Scottish design team and personally worked on the basis that they know what they are doing and the LP12 is as it is for a reason. I’ve consequently pretty much avoided third party mods etc. other than a brief flirtation with the Skale before I switched to the Ekos SE.

The step up from my Lingo 2 to am Akurate Dynamic Radikal was of an order of magnitude. I would expect the L4 to show significant improvement over the L2 but would consider it some kind of engineering triumph trumping a smart business decision were the L4 to be within close spitting distance of the Radikal for half the price (or whatever the ratio). I suspect Peter Swain’s"close but no cigar" comment is on the money.

The Akurate vs Klimax Radikal comparison is an interesting one. Yes there is a difference. Yes it is easily discernible and, yes, to my ears it is an improvement. The Climax somehow sounds more natural. As we all know from experience the world of high-end hi-fi is a story of diminishing returns. Since I already owned an Accurate unit at the time of the demo I decided that it did;t make sense to p/x and upgrade. Were I buying from new I might consider that the marginal additional cost of the Klimax would give me the icing on the cake.

Hi Kevin

TBH, no i didn’t audition a Superline, it was a deliberate act of not bothering because of the added expense to buy a Supercap, the need for an extra fraim shelf, and at least one [very knowledgable] friend i know went from SL to Urika, many tails of plug faff. In fairness i know many superline owners do prefer their choice and i’m happy for them but whichever is the preferred option, one has to be prepared to pay more for the Superline option.
My requirements are restrained by budget, keeping the box count down, and avoiding faff, so Radikal/Urika suits my needs well, the superb sonic Q is a bonus : )

7 Likes

I went from a Prefix powered by my 52 to a Urika, after expecting to love the Superline but didn’t, despite several attempts. As you say Debs, the reduced box count was a bonus as was 2 less Fraim tiers and of course the money saved from not having to buy a S’cap, which is how it would have ended up.

I know many absolutely love their Superlines but it just wasn’t for me.

3 Likes

I could have written that post Bluedog. My thoughts exactly…

Stu

I went from Superline to Urika. I’ve no doubt that I didn’t hear the SuperLine at its full potential, but I didn’t have space for it, nor the money for a SuperCap - and I was getting some interference. Like Debs I found the Urika provided excellent SQ plus some practical advantages. As Debs also suggested I went the route of beginning with a Radikal fitted by Cynbiosis, followed by the paired Urika some time later.

BTW I am envious of the Below the Bassline LP!

2 Likes

Perfect answer Debs and I guess the one I wanted to hear! Like you, I can do without the expense and either the box count and/or the possible compromise (however small it may be in reality) to the capabilities of my 552 if I keep using it to power my phone stage. Owning a Radikal, the Urika just seems to be the perfect option for me. I will audition both, but the SL will have to utterly trounce the Urika for me to consider that route I think.
Cheers,
Kevin

1 Like

I suppose we also have to consider the Radikal/Urika is a dedicated LP12 component, whereas the Superline is a very classy phono stage that can be employed with various makes of turntable.

It looks like naim has, over the years, distanced itself from the LP12 after terminating production of the Armageddon, and IMO even more so the Prefix, a fantastic idea and product of it’s era, shame naim didn’t go on to produce a SuperPrefix as to remain onboard the LP12, would of been interesting.
But parts that look set to be dedicated LP12 components may result in a limited customer market.

The Aro can be included here too, i know it can and does work well on various makes of turntable but i believe the original design was a LP12 alternative tonearm : )

5 Likes

Island Jamaica issued it in truncated form to the CD around 1996 along with the equally good Monty Alexander Yard Movement, in a very limited press in a plain card sleeve containing the CD booklet. They are sonically superior to the CD which I also have.
The Ernie Ranglin is a dense mix in the low frequencies which I have heard many systems struggle to resolve.
They can be found inexpensively on Discogs.
Island Jamaica released further Jamaican Jazz titles from Ernest Ranglins Memories Of Barber Mack And The Skatalites Ball Of Fire but CD only, their worth seeking out.
:grinning:

1 Like

I have Below the Bassline on CD - the two vinyl copies on Discogs are £150 and £195 respectively!

The only other Ranglin I have is In Search of the Lost Riddim - wonderful music. It’s also on CD. Again LPs are expensive, but the CD sounds excellent and I think is a bit of an audiophile recording.

1 Like

I have gone for a Rega Aria to replace the Stageline on my Akurate-ish LP12.

To improve on the Aria I would have been spending a tidy amount more and either looking at a Superline (rejected for similar reasons to previous posts) or Uphorik. The problem with the latter is the Urika/Radikal looks better value, but we’re in Klimax territory and a long way from the Aria (plus the Lingo 4 is still new and very good).

Keith

I wasn’t aware they are now so highly priced.
In Search Of The Lost Riddim is fine, for recordings with audiophile values check out any of the titles on the Telarc label e.g. Modern Answers To Old Problems with vocalist Sylvia Tella. Similarly Monty Alexander & Sly n Robbie did recordings for Telarc.
Monty Alexander and Ernest Ranglin both made some excellent recordings for the MPS label worth hunting down, some of Ernie Ranglins work was compiled on the essential MPS CD Nows The Time.
Recording quality that’s not audiophile but worth checking out, is his appearance as a relative unknown outside Jamaica at Ronnie Scotts on Soul D’Ern. He was unfairly and racially patronised as just some Caribbean calypso player until he took the stage and blew away the racial stereotype.
:grinning:

I am sure Peter at Cymbiosis would be keen to oblige. He hosts a veritable flotilla of equally specced LP12s for comparison purposes.

A visit to Cymbiosis is your best course of action as you’ll also be able to hear all the other suggestions.