Tiger Paw LP12 with Lingo 4 vs Radikal

That all makes perfect sense explaining Naim’s approach. Maybe that’s why Naim are launching their own Turntable design on May the 8th :ok_hand::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Comparisons done, see earlier in the thread
Thanks
:grinning:

As per my reply to Loki
Thanks again

…and i thought Naim always launched their own turntable designs every April the 1st :grinning:

3 Likes

Well Klimax Radikal & Keel installed and delivered.
Due to having builders in its teasingly confined to its box on my living room floor.
Doh! Grrrrrrr!

In the meantime, before I forget my manners, nuff respect and thanks are overdue to John, Paul & Julian at Audio-t Brighton for loaning and patiently allowing me to listen to the different options in my own time at home. Special mention to John for his time and effort with the installation, set ups and good humoured chats and advice. Oh, and to Paul for phone support when I rang up with embarrassing questions like “how do you switch it on?” :joy:

In due course will probably check out TP Tranquility, Kahn top plate and keen to hear a TP Javelin vs Ekos SE.

:grin:

1 Like

Did you get the Karmen? It’s very expensive compared to the Kahn, no? I’m guessing from your comment that you didn’t hear the Kahn before being steered towards the Karmen. There is also the TP combined top plate and plinth (I forget what its called while writing)

Julian and team are fabulous. As you probably know, Julian goes back to the days when Jeffries occupied that shop. I never forget going there back in the late 1908s when I needed an arm and drive belt for my first proper turntable - an Ariston RD80 sold as seen from Laskys in Brighton. Julian supplied my with my Superlumina loom and 300 DR most recently. Saying up for my ND555 now.

1 Like

John recently set up my LP12 with a replacement aniversery plinth and nice new Linn Krystal cartridge. We are both fans of the old AT Art-1 and I have been waiting patiently (for years) for a natural successor. It was him that convinced me that the Krystal could be it. However, he did warn me that the first 60hrs could be tough. And guess what, he was dead right. A bit fierce and over the top has turned into one of the best sounding cartridges I’ve ever heard.

A fountain of musical knowledge, he’s forgotten more about hi-fi than this forum will probably ever know. If he says something is good then I’d make the time to check it out.

1 Like

Yes I’ve been a customer since Jeffries HiFi days also with John when he was at Soundwaves just down the road.
The first system I bought from Jeffries was a Rega Plana 3/Elys with the fantastic Ion Obelisk 2 amp (wish I still had it) and Linn Index 2 speakers

1 Like

Julian has aged well hasnt he :grin:

1 Like

I used to pop into Jeffries in the late '70s to ogle the Linn Isobariks before heading back to my digs and Mission 700s.

1 Like

Here in the Nine Realms we still honour, annually our debt of gratitude to the team that were Jeffries in the 8o’s and early 90s and who continue in Audio T guise. Sadly not as close geographically as once they were. LP12 dates back to Julian’s eager demos in 1989.:innocent:

2 Likes

Julian is immortal. I should know.:sunglasses:

Perhaps I shouldnt say this, but I’ve also had quite a few chuckles in store when in earshot of one of Julians humorous put downs of some hapless punter who has tried his patience.
:joy:

I started with a Khan, which I thought was a real step up on the standard top plate, doing some of the things you expect a Keel to do. Certainly it was, as with everything Tiger Paw, great VFM. I was persuaded to do a comparison between it and a Karmen, however, and the Karmen is simply quite a bit better. If you can afford it, it’s worth the extra.

Any thoughts/experience of the TP Stratos top plate/plinth?

Not heard a Stratos yet but tbh I’m more than happy with my Chris Harban plinth so don’t have any plans to change. The Stiletto was pretty amazing I have to say so if the Statos gets near it and at a much lower price, it should be something of a bargain.

1 Like

I just realised I’m confusing the Karmen with the Stilletto.
Kahn & Karmen = top plates
Stratos & Stilletto = top plate/plinths

Yes, Dread, I purchased the Karmen without listening to a Kahn. This was on the advice of Peter at Cymbiosis who said it sounded better. Like @Dave above, I have mine sitting on a Harban Woodsong plinth, and although the Tangerine Stiletto looks beautifully machined and anodised, I like the wooden plinth, which contrasts nicely against all the black boxes.

1 Like

Just had a read of Peters review on Cymbiosis website. Thanks