Tired of boxes, sell my 252/300?

Or Luxman , they have been offering traditional one box offerings for years

Hello varyat
What rack Support system did you choose?

If you are looking to reduce the box count, the chances are that you are tired of how the system sounds. When you want to make a change because, for example, there are too many boxes, you don’t like the aesthetic, or maybe you’ve just stopped listening to the system because you’re always too busy, there is usually a reason which is to do with a change in system performance. So it’s maybe out of trim, it needs servicing, or your taste/hearing has changed and you are looking for something different.

The only person who can answer that question is you. I can tell you how Rega components are fantastically good across the board at their respective price points. I can tell you that up to hearing a 552/500, the 252/300 was out dream pre/power combo and when we finally got them we knew how lucky we were and we loved the hell out of them. What I can’t tell you is what you like. That’s for you to determine. Trust your ears, not mine.

4 Likes

Artisan Exoteryc

1 Like

Artisania , damn auto correct

I would love to reduce my box count but retain the same level of SQ for a similar investment. Unfortunately I don’t believe it is possible.

I am sure Naim realise that many boxes are not always conducive to living spaces that have to be shared with other priorities of modern living. Also these many boxes have to be connected together somehow, which adds complication and a compromise in SQ. If Naim could come up with a single box amplifier that could match say 252/SuperCapDR/300DR (and ditch Fraims, posh interconnects, SNAICs and Burndys) with equally good SQ and even at the same price, I would bet many of us would go for it.

If it could be done, Naim would have done it by now.

3 Likes

I am very curious in the next @varyat feedback on his Vitus SIA 30. Can it replace a 552/500. We will know soon I hope.

Not replace it for same SQ at lower level of investment?!

I would like to do the same: reduce the boxes and retain the same sound quality.

Or it is possible that a significant group are addicted to buying that next black box and expensive psu upgrade that keeps them plugging the big box numbers. :0)

For me one single box solution worth a look might be the D’Agostino Progression integrated. If it sounds anything like the Progression it will be the makings of a lovely system

1 Like

Have you heard already the Progression integrated?

One box solution? Bring back the ‘music centre’ - Lol! :joy:

ATB. George.

19 Likes

I forgot that one @Roog. Very nice indeed. 18k.

2 Likes

They all say that :wink:

If I had the wherewithal the D’Agostino would be top of my list. And frankly $18K isn’t unreasonable for the build quality and performance…

1 Like

Not yet, I have heard the Progression amplifier. So if the integrated has a similar sound signature I think it would be worth a try for all of those keen to seek out a single box solution. I have avoided contacting my dealer just in case he has finally got one in on demo!

1 Like

I haven’t heard yet. But from reviews it feels promising. D’Agostino products are acclaimed all over the world. But would not buy without listening.

The D’Agostino Progression Pre and Power was in the demo room when I was auditioning speakers. It seemed rude not to ask if we could try it. :0)

To my ear it had a smoother more controlled delivery, completely effortless, compared to my system, but at £50+ it probably should have. It was one of those “Ah yes that’s rather nice” moments. Something to aim for, just as a the multi box chrome bumper Naim and linn system was for me in the 80’s

It’s interesting, when I look at the costs of a 300dr and a 252 and fraims and power supplies it’s about the same cost as the Progression… I’ve heard other D’Agostino products at shows and the sound was superb for a show environment

I heard last Friday the Soulution 330 integrated amp, 18k, with optional 3k Dac. Not my taste in sound. Details, details…but boring.