To 222 or not 222?

Doesn’t the Atom HE use the same TI chip as the 222?

1 Like

I’ll take the 222/300/250 over that line up all day every day. Signed former 252 owner.

2 Likes

I have an opinion on the introduction of the 222: Why? Naim has brought out a revised and updated 250 amp-- nice going. But instead of offering a companion stand alone preamp, say something that would fill the shoes of the 282, we have been offered the 222, a jack of all trades marketing gambit that can of necessity only compromise the integrity of a dedicated preamplifier which would be the natural partner for the 250. Find your DACs and streamers elsewhere in the line. First optimize the basics.

12 Likes

Could you explain your statement? And what system do you have now?

1 Like

Maybe just wait to see if a separate pre-amp is offered ?

Most seem to agree, this is likely to happen at some point soon.

3 Likes

Possibly the DAC chip is the same, I didn’t actually check that, but the implementation is different, I assume. This post was the basis for my comment:

In that thread I’ve posted a few times about the context within which the 1791A and 1792A (the DAC chip in the NDX2) operate. Depending where you draw the line, the NDX2, from the interior shots of it, is clearly a dramatically different DAC board than the ND5 XS2. Reading between a few lines, it looks like the DAC board/section/whatever in the NSC222 is an uplift over that in the Atom HE, and possibly a mild one also over that in the ND5 XS2. I don’t want to downright ask Naim staff directly as that’s just cheeky, but they clearly rate the DAC implementation in the 222 over that in the HE, regardless of just the DAC chip. On top of that the volume control is better etc.

They basically use the headphone amp section of the HE as the pre section of the NSC, so it also benefits from all the PS regulation, more so (add this is me speculating without a post to back it up) if you upgrade the NSC’s PSU.

So I’m reasonably confident with the NSC222 you get a better headphone listening experience than the HE.

On reflection, the HE does obviously include the NP800 streaming board, so maybe my value calculation shouldn’t have just added ND5 XS2 to Atom HE though :wink: I still think the NSC222 is well priced within the Naim hierarchy.

3 Likes

No it doesn’t.

You might choose to do so, but that’s not the same thing!

20 Likes

Okay we agree we disagree. Of course you buy equipment to last for years, but in the end you keep busy with cables and other improvements and then eventually something new and better comes along and yet you start thinking and eventually you buy.

Sweeping statement - budget, requirements, mullet system et al, influence vfm
What’s broken with your current system? Upgraditis imho only leads to dissatisfaction.
I only upgrade when servicing is due, then just enjoy the music.
Incidentally why is this a new thread, seems likely many posts will go over the same ground as the original thread?

2 Likes

[emphasis added by me]

No, I don’t. That might describe your situation and history, but to present it as a logical inevitability for everyone who has ever bought a piece of hifi kit is wrong. It doesn’t describe my experience and, judging by the number of people running systems which still have Olive or even CB kit in them, I’m not alone.

Mark

2 Likes

Well the value is a lot less if you are always thinking about resale value in a more competitive global market and need to rotate boxes regularly to fund an addiction.

The value of something is a lot higher, even at current crazy UK prices, if the intention is to keep the item forever and enjoy it, care for it, service it, and eventually move it to another room rather than flog it for an upgrade.

12 Likes

You indicate that it is wrong and you are not alone in this opinion. Am very happy for you. But this discussion is about purchasing the new 222 series and trade-in prices in the longer term. And your experiences don’t have to be mine. Let each decide how and what and when.

1 Like

I agree entirely - my only complaint is over the presentation of some people’s experience as being universal. In the future, some qualifying phrases like ‘In my experience…’ or ‘What I find is…’ might prevent this.

Mark

2 Likes

@ElMarko if I recall from other threads had a 252 a while back, but not with Supercap DR.

He didn’t like it at all.

Each to their own. 252 does divide opinion.

1 Like

Couple more links I found really interesting.

First is this one: The Naim New Classic range - #1574 by 110dB

Which outlines the fact the NSC222 output stage is basically the HE headphone circuit (which seems like a great case of engineering for reuse)

Second is this one:

Which is Naim’s view that the PSU upgrade isn’t necessary for the NSC222 to improve upon the HE’s performance

My dealer’s opinion as his 200 set warmed up was that it’s approaching NDX2/NAC252/Supercap/NAP300 performance.

It will be interesting to hear if customers agree. He offered me a listen when I go in for a Linn belt.

4 Likes

It will take a long time for the dust to settle. If you remember, for the first 12-18 months of the 272’s life, nearly everyone who bought one claimed it was better than an NDX/282. Then people came back down to earth. The initial hyperbole period lasts a fairly long time. I expect everyone who buys a New Classic 200 system now will find it beats out a NDX/252/SCdr/300dr. At least for the first year.

I think you’ll have to make your own judgement in demonstration head to head with something you know.

And it may in fact be better than the aforementioned Classic system. But not sure anything I read in the first year or so I would trust much. Just historically, that’s proved pretty risky.

15 Likes

If collaborated, that would be impressive.

I’m inclined to wait for several results ( more than one) and a consensus from “controlled experiments”.

That is, user systems taken into dealer - or - home demo of New Classic, and compared A/B listening tests with known source material, etc, etc.

That’s interesting though.

2 Likes

I was originally going to give the Mandy Rice-Davies response to his opinion but stopped myself. Until now!

2 Likes

So they seem to share a lot in common - same DAC with some implementation differences, same streaming board and same or very similar preamp - the bottom line is that they are not too far. Not to say they sound the same as the same DAC chip is shared with the ND5XS2 and the NOVA and all of them sound different. Still the closest in the bunch (may be too close for comfort?:slight_smile: are the HE and 222, while the PSU would offer clear air ahead.

Thinking about the 222 as a whole I am also wondering how the MM phono is implemented and how it sounds e.g. compared to the SN3 (where it sounds very, very good to me)?

2 Likes