To 222 or not 222?

Enjoy! Ordered mine through MM also. Got to wait 4-6 weeks!

2 Likes

I dont agree so much. I have a sn3 ndx2 which costs less and is on par with the new classic soundwise with upgrade path.

2 Likes

All this reminds of Derek and his “What would win between a shark and a crocodile if both had a gun and a knife but the shark’s knife was a bit smaller?”

5 Likes

:joy:

I would pick an album that is my current favorite and it would be the last album I play on my current system before packing it up. I would then replay it as the first album on the newly installed album and make notes of the difference of the two. Then wait a month or longer and play it again and then compare your current thoughts with what you previously noted.

NSC222 or not (vs Atom HE version)

I’ve been lucky and very grateful for the chance to do a home demo of the NCS222 (bare no PSU) in my home system (Atom HE - Supernait 3 - Supercap DR - Marten Oscar Duo).

The 222 has been played for a week or so not much but also not straight out of the box. I thought it looks very cool all round, no actuality make that gorgeous, somehow less solid with the plastic middle kit in daylight than the full metal jacket classic boxes but once the light goes a bit dimmer the shape and presence is absolutely fantastic. Pity the green and white lights cannot be synced either way, I know as I’ve been living with this for a while and sometimes I think it’s ok and sometimes find it annoying.

Connecting and setting it up on the app was a couple of minutes.So, setup and some very top line listening impressions:

1. Into the SN3 in the same way as the Atom HE - connected simultaneously so slightly different mains and interconnects cables but allowing me to switch between the 2 instantly (222 on the CD input). Nervously, pressed he the Play on Qobuz and on the 222 went - beautiful! After about an hour of warm up, the itch to compare was just too much to bear, so I adjusted both to an equal loudness level (222 was playing a couple of dB louder may be because it was connected RCA-RCA vs RCA-DIN on the Atom). Same album on both, play and …. well, after about 10 minutes I had to admit I couldn’t hear any real difference. And this is the interesting part - in fact, if anything I was hearing a slightly more open natural sound and slightly more pronounced better bass I thought with the Atom HE, and a slightly more centered (may be) with the 222. This is where I reminded myself that the Atom was connected with a far better mains cable, better interconnects and a significantly more premium ethernet cable. From I could tell changing the ethernet cable and the interconnects on the 222 improved the soundstage, sound was more natural and I think some of the depth and lower end would have also come from the difference in mains cables (but I did not swap these to try). So the two have a similar if not identical character and presentation, which was not such a huge surprise but what was very surprising that I found them virtually indistinguishable when going to my SN3+SCDR but of course this meant 2 preamps working together and the SCDR doing its magic, so would this take over the expected 222 advantage in the preamp or internal power?

2. Next I tried a direct approach and connected the 222 directly to a non Naim power amp (Nytech) but in my other system, with Spendor D1 speakers. Here I also had to listen sequentially as I did not have access to dual ethernet and interconnects link to the power amp, but on the other hand everything apart from the power cable was the same. Interestingly, there was again a couple of dB difference I had to adjust for the same level (222 being louder). In this comparison the 222 had a more mature and kind of grown up sound with again a very, very similar character between the two. Both had a similar great rhythm and pace, vibrancy and lifelike, really transparent presentation. The 222, however, had a slightly deeper richer bass and richer tones, similar for vocals and pianos as well. The upper range felt similar and I am not sure I heard more detail.

3. Phono Stage - I liked the phono on the 222 in a very similar way to my SN3 - both very similar sweet, rich, engaging and detailed. Comparison here was sequential inevitably and I had to play with sound levels to make them the same (with max level on the 222 “input trim”) but my best assessment would be that they are quite similar and I liked them both very much. Not sure how much, if any, and what part of the 222 would be involved here before going to the SN3 preamp but clearly there would be a longer signal path (one extra box to go through) with the 222. So, a great 222 integrated phono stage as I do like the SN3 one after comparing it to several others up to approx. the £1k mark. I don’t know how these two phonos would compare if the 222 was connected directly to a power amp and not using the SN3 + SCDR beauty facilities but I imagine decent, and if an added NPX300 would provide support to the phono and preamp path in this respect, who knows might be again as good, or better?

4. Headphones - now, I admit not my primary listening mode or experience and although I could never be exactly sure if the loudness was exactly the same at the same volume level (and it seemed to jump a couple of points plugging in and out), I thought the 222 had a bit more energy and colour? But it was a really small difference to my ears and I am not sure I would have been confident in a blind test with some little volume adjustment?

Reading feedback from others, the NPX300 should make things significantly more convincing. However, based on what I heard with the 222 as a streamer DAC without the added external PSU, it does not appear to be a SQ upgrade in my case with my SN3+SCDR setup.

Overall, personally, I wouldn’t change the Atom HE for the 222 unless I would be prepared to go for the 222+NPX300 … which I am not. That said, with the NPX300 the 222 should be able to help move one’s system up a level, it has a great integrated phono stage and headphone amp, and it seems like a brilliant component that allows you to grow your system further.

There you go, hope of help with those big questions, with some real life experience in a home setting.:slight_smile:

30 Likes

For best performance you should ideally connect only one streaming source at a time to a Naim amp. Did you have the ground switches correctly configured?

1 Like

Would imagine the SN3+SCDR combo is a rare beast never mind with a 222 but nice review - is an NDX2 a more obvious upgrade path?

2 Likes

All good things come to those who wait.
A New Classic NAP 250 + New Classic NAC analogue preamp + NDX2 (if you happen to already have one like I do) one would expect would be preferable than a similar setup with a NSC 222 instead of a NC NAC + NDX2.
There’s also an element here of the 200 Series having a different presentation as many have already observed, not better or worse, but clearly a new direction for Naim as a signature Classic Series sound.
I still want to get a listen to an NPX 300 on a NDX 2, still on my demo list. That against where it sits relative to an XPS DR or 555PS as well as the obvious longevity it brings vs those Old Classic Power Supplies.

1 Like

Naim’s philosophy is separates for best SQ.
The NC sound signature I suspect is primarly in pre-amp stage but maybe diluted mixing classic - I don’t know. That said I totally agree with you though and if I didn’t want a simplified set up the future 200/300 releases is exactly where I’d be looking too. Good luck.

Not sure what the issue with 2 streaming sources would be exactly but I did have just one source, the 222, connected when trying with different interconnects and ethernet cable and do not remember anything to change unplugging the Atom HE? I did flick the 222 ground a couple of times as I wasn’t really sure but there was no issue.

@Tapp Thanks, would be interested what people have to say about the 222 and 222+300 against the NDX2, I seem to like the “new” sound.

1 Like

Nice to have options, I get enjoyment as it stands already from all my systems, The thought process I outlined previously was based in part from my initial reaction after the 200 Series launch, having some listening time with the new kit and seeing how it may all fit longer term with what I plan to evolve in to, likely over the next 5-10 years.
I can see the appeal of the NSC 222, I have a friend at work with a Nova and an itch to scratch and that as a next step is an exciting part of his journey, same with those living with ageing 272 based systems now being catapulted into significantly higher performing systems.
I still stand by the belief that this is all just a taster so far (200 Series) and in part done in this order to satisfy the 272 market and to keep up with the rest of the market, the exciting kit for me is the new preamps and how that plays with existing mid to high tier sources both Naim and other brands (Linn, Chord, dcs, Auralic, etc)

Naim systems are grounded through a source (CD player or streamer) and if you have more than one (more typically both a CD player and a streamer) you should ensure that only one carries the ground.
The purpose of the ground switch is to ensure that you don’t have two paths to ground for the amp connected simultaneously. So with two boxes connected to the amp, one should be set to default, and the other to floating.

3 Likes

Pure speculation of course but a 300 streamer and NAP as well as pre amps are looking good to drop soon which would assist your planning.

1 Like

It’s inevitable and just a matter of time/timing, all these things already exist and have been in development for some years.
Thankfully I’m patient and in no particular hurry!

Thank you for the explanation!

I am thinking of replacing my 272 with a 222 powered by my 555dr. I am verging on retirement and cannot envisage updating my 555dr and 250dr as well. I am finding the 272 very glitchy despite software updates and excellent internet connection. It will be interesting to see how the 555dr compares to the npx300 and if it is worth getting the new box. I think if the older power supply gives a worthwhile improvement to the 222 my journey will end there. I will be interesting know other’s thoughts wants the new burndeys become available as many here will be in a similar position to me.

1 Like

Why must it?

The ND5XS2 has the advantage of not having a preamp in the same box, nor a backlit volume knob, nor a colour screen.

4 Likes

It was a bit of a throwaway comment if I’m honest. Maybe it was a bit of a hope/wishful thinking.

But then the streamer in the NSC has the option of being externally powered, is close coupled to the preamp (no interconnects etc), so maybe those things count in its favour?

1 Like

You’re both right I guess.

ND5XS2 uses the basic regulated feed available in box only, no external PSU. But it is a dedicated box.

222 streaming board and DAC have fully DR regulated feeds from NPX. But yes there are other things in the same box. However naim have already covered in depth the improvements made to pre, analogue stage and volume control in the 222.

Given both devices share same streaming board/DAC but 222 can accept an NPX (which naim have said, to their ears, betters the XPSDR) you’d expect the 222/NPX combo to be better than ND5XS2 - after all when has adding an external PSU ever done anything other than improve a naim component?

I will be speaking to dealers shortly about cabling, will pick their brains in depth on the 222 as well. Just out of interest, the upcoming power amps are more on our radar, but I suspect (know!?) will be out of budget.

2 Likes