To 222 or not 222?

As another option, the 252DR is Brilliant with the New 250. So much in fact all thoughts of getting a 300DR have vanished. I originally auditioned my D7.2’s with the 252DR and 300DR.

2 Likes

They are not discontinued. Maybe in the near future but not yet.

Three dealers i visited said something else, only one had a XPS in stock and told me, i got the last one, he was able to order.

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious they will be discontinued but nothing is official ‘yet’. Website still hasn’t been updated.

Once again, the mixed messages coming from all angles, “my dealer said X”, “ohh my dealer heard that Y was happening next week”, “I read on another forum Naim are doing Z already”

One can only hope they are clear and honest with existing and future owners and don’t keep people waiting on orders for Old Classic upgrade boxes for weeks, months, maybe years?
The food chain are clearly motivated to focus everyones attention on the new shiny stuff, Naim and their dealer network make good margin on new box sales and the reality here is the cost of manufacturer is likely lower moving forwards so everyone wins.
The Old Classic range is costly to build and has too many products overall, they’ll likely reluctantly officially state they’ll make power supplies for a period of time but inevitably that window won’t just run and run and eventually ordering anything will be difficult if not impossible.
If you do want a factory fresh box you’re almost certainly best sourcing it now, I’d be looking around and making speculative offers on ex demo kit tbh, probably a bit more leverage in that sense than usual!

From what has been reported as said by dealers, and the new range starting to appear with the 222 et al, it is clear that their is a major equipment change in progress. How long that will take to feed through to all of the range is unclear. It may even be unclear to Naim until existing stock and parts to make kit are dwindled down. If anyone is looking for new kit at the moment I think it is only reasonable to shop around for discounts on dealer stock items. My concern, hinted at in an earlier post, is the availability of DR caps/boards for future service. The new range has been pointed out as containing ‘tweaked’ DR items running at a different voltage. Whether they can be used for service or replacement on old items hasn’t been stated ( or asked as yet).

1 Like

Doubt you’ll get an official response on that one way or another, but certainly share your concern regards servicing relative to DR.
They stopped the DR Upgrades and EOL lower rungs in the Classic range in particular the 202/200, putting these things down mostly to “supply challenges”, perhaps they’ll default to that reasoning again, they seem to have weathered it before at least.

Assuming that a senior Naim manager’s clear statement here is considered a statement from Naim this might help.

1 Like

I read that, he does also clearly point the finger at Marketing as opposed to saying it will categorically happen. It’s not his decision ultimately, someone above his pay grade will have this in a LRP spreadsheet somewhere one would assume.
Outside of the forum bubble, if you were looking at a global demand forecast for say HiCap, you may be surprised at the volume, by country and for all regions. If they’re making a priority call on resources and margin/EBITDA they’ll be using that to make more NPX’s one would expect?

We obviously read this statement differently. “The existing PSUs will continue to be made for those wanting complete system goals.” I read that as a clear statement that the existing PSUs will continue to be made where you don’t see it as a categoric statement. It isn’t for an indefinite time period and the timescale for how long will be announced by marketing.

Just out of interest, did your dealer discuss the use of the NPX300 supply with the NDX2? There are reasons to not use it, different case style, price of £5,700 as opposed to a discounted XPS-DR, need to wait for connecting cable to be launched (although you could get a 3rd party cable I’d have thought), was it one or all of these (or ones I haven’t thought of)?

1 Like

If I were considering purchasing a Classic series power supply, I’d do it sooner rather than later.

3 Likes

Exactly, unlike those of us who were and are to be so😀

1 Like

Anyone remember what happened with the move from Olive to Black?

Was it all changed overnight or did they phase in the new look in groups overtime?

Apart from a passing historical reference, operational and manufacturing considerations are very different when comparing the two.
They won’t do anything fast, it’s taken them nearly 10 years to trickle down to the 200 Series (from Statement) and even those new boxes took 5 years of work to bring to market.

1 Like

Yes, he did, but at first the need for a separate cable, that i haven‘t seen yet and the difference in price was not acceptable.

Optics would not have bothered me.

2 Likes

That‘s what i did. :grin:

2 Likes

The NAP500 came first in 2000, followed by the 5 series in 2001, then the NAC552 in 2002, followed by the rest of the Classic range (NAC202, 282, Hicap, Supercap, NAP200, NAP250.2) later in 2002. Of the latter, the NAC252 was last to appear that year.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I am about to do. I will be keeping my XPS DR to power the 222 through a Y-cable. I have not heard the 222 yet but my main motivation for upgrading is that I am told that the 222 applies the same internal magic that is used in the Core (re-clocking, error correction, etc) to all digital sources, as they are streamed. If this is not true, I’d like to know ASAP.

I noticed a big difference between many Core-ripped CDs and the same CD ripped on dbPoweramp - enough so that I bought a Core and re-ripped my entire CD collection. I’m not expecting a big improvement on the Core-ripped CD library, but I expect to hear a big improvement on all other digital sources.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.