TooL!

Metal/Heavy Rock are not genres I know well admittedly. I’m not quite sure what “Heavy Rock” is, tbh. Being out of touch, I would say bands like Deep Purple etc? I wouldn’t have linked it with Metal (though that itself has so many permutations…).

I like Tool, Sunn 0))), Gojira, Isis but not Iron Maiden types or what I’ve heard of Death/Black Metal. Tried to get into Opeth, but…Listened to a bit of Ayreon but not my cup of tea at all. I imagine their lyrics are of the latter type, space opera-ish, but I could be doing them a lyrical injustice, I freely admit. I don’t like that style of music enough to find out.

Give me some names. I’ll check them out, promise.

1 Like

Hi Stevie

Bands like Tool - NONE - imho!

Nearest would be Puscifer, A Perfect Circle, Ashes Divide.

A bit further out would be Erdling, Dream Theatre, Mastadon, Deftones

And a couple that tend to be less guitar based Not My God, Project Pitchfork

2 Likes

Puscifer, check!
A Perfect Circle, check!
Like both.

Ashes Divide eh?..Cheers, I’ll look em up, Simon!

I have a Mastodon, perhaps two…not sure - haven’t played them in quite awhile. Can’t remember their lyrics.

Ashes Divide are the solo project of Billy Howerdel, who started as a guitar tech for various bands inc. Tool and then formed and played guitar for A Perfect Circle!
Only one album - Keep Telling Myself It’s Alright - but very good!

2 Likes

None Metal…Vola, Animals as Leaders, Rush, Porcupine Tree

I have some PT - loved em when I first heard them.
Haven’t played in ages, now. Got bored after awhile. Coma Divine near sent me into one, last time I played that.

The ones I do play a lot are Voyage 34 and the opening part of Metanoia.

Correct it is great but somewhat fatuiging after a while. Live an excellent band though.

Remembered another - Amplifier - give them a try - first saw them late nineties early noughties as support for Mr Numan - they’ve done quite a few support slots inc. Porcupine Tree as well as headlined - well thought of and reviewed just never hit the big time. About 6 albums and a number of ep’s - let me know what you think?

1 Like

Will do.

I forgot one too, Simon :melting_face:
Cult of Luna.

Cheers will look them up :+1:

Tool is cerebral, lyrics are emotional and the music as a whole reaches psychedelic levels. They have a unique way of blending anger, atmosphere, emotion, science and rock. Maynard’s voice is subtle, yet he has an amazing scream. The latest album Fear Inoculum sounds kinda like old Pink Floyd that’s gone metal :metal:

5 Likes

Excellent band Simon, great shout.
Personally, UFOs from the first album is one of my all time favourites - song builds to an immense crescendo at the end.

1 Like

Glad we have another follower here! Very overlooked IMHO - deserve a bigger following.

1 Like

Listened to some Amplifier: very melodic (Matmos), Foo Fightery in parts. They started heavier and got more (gulp) proggy - even poppy?
I’d think good fun live if they turned up the ‘wall of sound’ as I saw described. Can’t see why they are not better known, given the popularity of others.
Motorhead could almost be a Tool song!

Not sure they’re my kind of thing, but nice to hear them.

PS I avoided the links to a hire band ‘for parties and events’ of the same name!

Hi Stevie - sorry “Amplifier” didn’t quite float ya boat - did you find Ashes Divide?

Not yet Simon. Under a lousy cold these past few days so a bit foggy.

I thought Amplifier were well worthy of more reknown. They seemed very good.
It’s just the ‘genre’ itself I’m not too afloat about, I guess. I’d like to hear Octopus which I think is heavier?

Do you like Isis, btw? Oceanic (talking of Octopi!) is one of my all-time favourite ‘heavy’ albums.

1 Like

Got to admit that’s gone under my radar - will give it a try.
Try Awooga - they supported Amplifier a few years ago - picked up their CD’s at the gig but never heard of them again!

Called my local record store and they can’t get this box set in anymore so I suggest anyone sitting on the fence gets it bought ASAP.

Cheapest I could find was Townsend Music.

Saw them Monday night
Was so good I went again last night

Must say I much preferred the set list on Monday

Lyndon

5 Likes